GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

License plate/bracket questions, comments, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 11:39 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Grew up and lived in DFW almost all my life and 100% legally you have to have a front license plate, it’s state law. You can get stopped and you can get a ticket. Usually it’s a “fix-it” ticket, where you fix it and only pay the dismissal fee. Now that’s not to say you can roll without one and never get stopped because that happens to most of the Texas population including myself. Just know it also can be used as PC or probable cause for them to stop you so don’t have anything illegal on you in the truck or active warrants. LOL
Yeah, I see a lot of exotics ( Lambos, Ferraris, etc .. ) in Grapevine w/o front plates and also the likes of Civics ( lol ) ! Then there are some that have'em on their dashboard.
Personally, I detest front plates.. but, like you stated, don't wanna give any PC to DFW's *finest*, especially with the all around tint and Valentine One
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 02:19 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanzky
Haha. Good tips! I've only been here for 3 years and I don't intend on ever being on the wrong side of the law. Never have, never will. My truck guns are all legal and with me is my CHL/LTC. Haha. I'm just going back and forth on this because I couldn't get a straight answer wherever I looked. To err on the side of caution, I will get it mounted one of these days. For now, until I get my plates, and then my vanity plates, I'll milk the no front plates mostly because I like the look and I'm too lazy.
Try to get a bracket that requires no drilling. Also personalized plates are ****ing expensive in Texas now. It used to be super cheap but now they allow a 3rd party handle it so it’s hundreds of $$. I know because both my GX’s have them.

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Yeah, I see a lot of exotics ( Lambos, Ferraris, etc .. ) in Grapevine w/o front plates and also the likes of Civics ( lol ) ! Then there are some that have'em on their dashboard.
Personally, I detest front plates.. but, like you stated, don't wanna give any PC to DFW's *finest*, especially with the all around tint and Valentine One
I hate front plates. They are 100% bull**** and only serve the purpose of radar (not sure about lidar) to catch speeders. We have constitutional carry now so you should be good with having the bang sticks in the vehicle. Double check the law but I’m sure you’re good.
Old 10-14-21, 03:16 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Try to get a bracket that requires no drilling. Also personalized plates are ****ing expensive in Texas now. It used to be super cheap but now they allow a 3rd party handle it so it’s hundreds of $$. I know because both my GX’s have them.

I hate front plates. They are 100% bull**** and only serve the purpose of radar (not sure about lidar) to catch speeders. We have constitutional carry now so you should be good with having the bang sticks in the vehicle. Double check the law but I’m sure you’re good.
I've always had vanity plates on all my vehicles when I lived in NY. Over there, it was only $125 each, without registration included. Here, it seems to be $90+ depending on the design/theme, also without registration included. I checked for the plates that I wanted and it's only $99 per year or $400-something for 5 years. The only downside here in TX for vanity plates is that the prices increase every year, from what I understand. People can also bid on these. It seems like vanity plates here are treated like domain names almost.

I honestly don't mind front plates but for the appearance. You're right, it's all for the tollways and other plate readers.

As for my bing bangs, I'm happy we have constitutional carry now, but I got my LTC 3 years ago. Even if I hadn't gotten it yet, I'd still get it today so I can travel to friendly states that would reciprocate. When I first moved here, I drove three cars -- drove one, flew one-way, repeated 3 times in a row, with no breaks in between other than for refueling and bathroom. I drove 22-23 hours straight, three times in a row, like I couldn't get out of NYC fast enough. Haha. As soon as I got all three cars here, I got the plates and registration and my temporary driver's license. With that piece of paper, I went and got my first handgun and started my LTC application at the same time. Priorities. Hahaha. True story, too. I've bought a bing bang every month ever since, but if there are AFT reading here, by "bing bangs" I mean a drum set.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanzky:
m5rahul (10-15-21), MrTorgue (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 03:33 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

I've always had vanity plates on all my vehicles when I lived in NY. Over there, it was only $125 each, without registration included. Here, it seems to be $90+ depending on the design/theme, also without registration included. I checked for the plates that I wanted and it's only $99 per year or $400-something for 5 years. The only downside here in TX for vanity plates is that the prices increase every year, from what I understand. People can also bid on these. It seems like vanity plates here are treated like domain names almost.

I honestly don't mind front plates but for the appearance. You're right, it's all for the tollways and other plate readers.

As for my bing bangs, I'm happy we have constitutional carry now, but I got my LTC 3 years ago. Even if I hadn't gotten it yet, I'd still get it today so I can travel to friendly states that would reciprocate. When I first moved here, I drove three cars -- drove one, flew one-way, repeated 3 times in a row, with no breaks in between other than for refueling and bathroom. I drove 22-23 hours straight, three times in a row, like I couldn't get out of NYC fast enough. Haha. As soon as I got all three cars here, I got the plates and registration and my temporary driver's license. With that piece of paper, I went and got my first handgun and started my LTC application at the same time. Priorities. Hahaha. True story, too. I've bought a bing bang every month ever since, but if there are AFT reading here, by "bing bangs" I mean a drum set.
Welcome to Texas! I paid the $400 for each GX for 3yrs. It was a pretty big hit but worth it. Only plan on being in Texas for another 9-36 months before we move to Idaho. With your LTC and desire to leave the NYC hell hole you’ll fit right in. Haha. We love our personal liberty here in Texas.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
brutus27 (10-20-21), Seanzky (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 03:59 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Welcome to Texas! I paid the $400 for each GX for 3yrs. It was a pretty big hit but worth it. Only plan on being in Texas for another 9-36 months before we move to Idaho. With your LTC and desire to leave the NYC hell hole you’ll fit right in. Haha. We love our personal liberty here in Texas.
Oh, don't I know it! It's like I'm living in a free country again. Haha.

I'll see about the vanity plates, because the NTTA TollPerks also give discounts towards vanity plates if I redeem my points. I was originally going to just get one for 5 years, but it might be cheaper if I get yearly and just redeem my points for discounts. I had no idea I had so many points.
​​​​​​
MrTorgue (10-15-21)
Old 10-14-21, 04:03 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I kept my LTC/CHL, now non-resident, just because I had it and gives me reciprocity to many states. I'm glad that I no longer need to take a half day course + written test + range qualification to renew anymore. Kudos to the TSRA for making it easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
MrTorgue (10-15-21), Seanzky (10-20-21)
Old 10-14-21, 04:39 PM
nearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Front license plates are required here in Oregon. You likely won't get bothered much without one until you get into Portland proper. I got tickets from meter readers any time I didn't have a plate on my Acura.
MrTorgue (10-15-21)
Old 10-14-21, 05:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

I was surprised I was able to get this vanity plate. If I recall there were multiple entry request for what you are trying to get with a vanity plate with the form (I was in the tag office) and all of my request were taken. I mentioned tecman and bam!

I think I was paying a higher fee for this and it dropped over time. My tag fee is now around $50+

I wonder if I could auction off this vanity plate

As mentioned here this is like having a website domain that you now own. A tenant I had at my rental property that was an IT guy had possession of "Pizza.com" and received a few million for it.

I will say that I am conscience of driving my modified GX and plate. I am not blending in so well

Last edited by tecman; 10-14-21 at 05:17 PM.
MrTorgue (10-15-21)
Old 10-20-21, 09:52 AM
nycgnom
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up my '22 GX 460 today and the salesman said that for these cars I wouldn't get a ticket for not having front plates on. I'm not sure if he's right on that, but he's lived here in north Texas (DFW) longer than I have. Is he right? Or was he just too lazy to have the front plate mounted? I've searched for Texas laws and everywhere I look, front plates are required or face a $200 ticket.
During my 15 years in Texas, I was fined twice for not having the the front plate. Both times was stopped for something else and the no-front-plate fines ($85) were added to the main tickets.
Old 10-20-21, 10:33 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nycgnom
During my 15 years in Texas, I was fined twice for not having the the front plate. Both times was stopped for something else and the no-front-plate fines ($85) were added to the main tickets.
Hmmm... I guess the key here is for me to try and never get stopped, which is something I can't guarantee. Haha. Where in TX if I may ask? I live in Frisco and I've started paying attention to how many cars there are around me without front plates. THERE ARE A LOT!!!
Old 10-20-21, 12:41 PM
NiteDipper
Rookie

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Just know it also can be used as PC or probable cause for them to stop you so don’t have anything illegal on you in the truck or active warrants. LOL
Excellent point, I'm going to start running front plates. I never ran a front plate on the 2010 4runner and never had an issue. There wasn't a way to attach it to the 4R without putting holes in the plastic bumper, at least the GX came with a mount. I'd rather not have any contact with cops for any reason if it can be avoided.
Old 10-20-21, 04:07 PM
brutus27
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Checking in from Leander here. I put a front plate on my ‘21 GX. My neighbor who is ex Houston PD told me it’s Texas law. So proceed at your own risk if you go sans front plate. He was a hard *** officer (retired) and told me he would pull you over just for that offense alone. You might be okay going w/o if you stay in the metroplex and other large cities. Good luck
Seanzky (10-20-21)
Old 10-20-21, 05:36 PM
ukcats
Driver

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

My Jeep buddy is Texas PD. It’s a $200 fine to get get charged for not running one. However, cops generally only pull you over for that as a “probable cause” event. You look dicey man. Got any warrants?
MrTorgue (10-20-21)
Old 10-21-21, 07:41 AM
nycgnom
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm... I guess the key here is for me to try and never get stopped, which is something I can't guarantee. Haha. Where in TX if I may ask? I live in Frisco and I've started paying attention to how many cars there are around me without front plates. THERE ARE A LOT!!!
There are certainly a lot of cars without front plates. But, after the second ticket, I put the front plate on my GX.

One of the tickets was on I-45, ~10 miles south of Dallas. The other - in Houston.
The following 2 users liked this post by nycgnom:
brutus27 (10-21-21), Seanzky (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 11:21 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Fortunately and finally, the requirement for front plates was repealed in Ohio last July! HOORAY! I took them off all three vehicles. At that time I had two '16 GX's and a Tahoe. It didn't improve the look of the Tahoe much, but it certainly allowed the beauty of the '16's to shine. I traded in one of my '16's and have a '21 GX Sport Design...I can't even imagine how a front plate would look on that grill.

BTW, years ago I had a '90 Corvette and ran it with the factory "CORVETTE" insert. Got busted by a local yocal cop. After he lectured me, he did let me go, but I had to show up at the PD within the next few days "wearing" the real plate.
Seanzky (10-27-21)

Quick Reply: License plate/bracket questions, comments, concerns