GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY or mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 08:16 AM
J295
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY or mechanic?

GX460 needs new front and rear brake pads. Is this something I can do, including smoothing the rotors, or should I have the mechanic do it? In that case, the dealership or and independent mechanic? Dealership cost is $750 for front and rear. I am not particularly mechanical, but have the time and can get help and advice from my son-in-law and my friend both of them do their own brake work. Thoughts?
Old 08-28-19, 08:40 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Well, unless you have the proper equipment, you won't be able to "smooth" (turn) your rotors, but most DIYers buy new rotors.

If I were you, I'd pay your relatives to do the job and watch - or find a good indy to do the job.
Old 08-28-19, 11:03 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

If you have the time and tools, I would do it myself. I would simply buy new pads and new rotors and just throw those on. Makes for a much faster installation. Turning rotors takes time and sometimes the rotors will be out of spec after turning.
Old 08-28-19, 02:51 PM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, disc brakes are pretty dang easy. Couple of jack stands, hands tools and some beers is all you need. As others have suggested don't turn the rotors just replace them.

I'll be honest I don't know if there are any nuances with Lexus for brakes but on everything else I've worked on, which is a lot, it's never been more than a half day job.
Old 08-28-19, 03:26 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Smokeyyank
Honestly, disc brakes are pretty dang easy. Couple of jack stands, hands tools and some beers is all you need. As others have suggested don't turn the rotors just replace them.

I'll be honest I don't know if there are any nuances with Lexus for brakes but on everything else I've worked on, which is a lot, it's never been more than a half day job.
and you need a flat area to do the work. You need to be comfortable working in an uncomfortable position and have to be ready to deal with rusted bits that don't want to come apart. Then you have to know what you are doing.

I wouldn't do brakes without a lift and power tools - but that's just me.
Old 08-28-19, 04:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

GX brakes are pretty easy... that front disc setup with the pins is actually the easiest I've encountered over the years. Wish I had a lift these days.. I'd have to buy a different house. Only had access to one as a youth at my grandfather's place several decades ago. I just use heavy floor jacks and jack stands on my concrete garage floor.
Old 08-28-19, 05:10 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
GX brakes are pretty easy... that front disc setup with the pins is actually the easiest I've encountered over the years. Wish I had a lift these days.. I'd have to buy a different house. Only had access to one as a youth at my grandfather's place several decades ago. I just use heavy floor jacks and jack stands on my concrete garage floor.
yes they are the easiest brakes ive ever worked on also.
you can put a lift anywhere you can park the GX

a cheap scissor lift <$1000
better ones 1500 or so
some of the portable ones even have the motor and pump on a cart
cheaper ones you crank with a drill
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-28-19)
Old 08-28-19, 10:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by J295
GX460 needs new front and rear brake pads. Is this something I can do, including smoothing the rotors, or should I have the mechanic do it? In that case, the dealership or and independent mechanic? Dealership cost is $750 for front and rear. I am not particularly mechanical, but have the time and can get help and advice from my son-in-law and my friend both of them do their own brake work. Thoughts?
By your question, it would probably be best to have a qualified shop do the work using Lexus original parts.

Working on (and learning) things that make the car “Go” is one thing ... because if the car does not “Go” it is difficult to get into too much trouble. Working on the brakes that make the car “Stop” is another matter ... because if the car does not “Stop” things get smashed up and people potentially die.

Working on brakes is “easy” with the proper tools and a basic level of mechanical experience.

Last edited by ASE; 08-29-19 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 07:40 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
and you need a flat area to do the work. You need to be comfortable working in an uncomfortable position and have to be ready to deal with rusted bits that don't want to come apart. Then you have to know what you are doing.

I wouldn't do brakes without a lift and power tools - but that's just me.
Don't get me wrong working on the lift with air tools is a game changer. But I don't know that many DIYer's with that option. My dad has one and when I built my jeep was a HUGE help.
Old 08-29-19, 09:14 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Smokeyyank
Don't get me wrong working on the lift with air tools is a game changer. But I don't know that many DIYer's with that option. My dad has one and when I built my jeep was a HUGE help.
I fully agree. I also know that this isn't someting a first timer should tackle in his driveway. Aside from the OP saying that he doesn't do work on his car, he also talks about "smoothing" the rotors, so he isn't a shadetree mechanic - yet.

That's not to say that he shouldn't do work on his car, following the crawl/walk/run principle, he should watch a job being done, then do it himself with supervision, then do it all by himself. He may want to start with something that isn't a multi-hour job made worse when working in an uncomfortable position.

Me? I'd start him with a cabin and engine air filter change, move on to a topside oil change, then a "real" oil change and so forth.

We don't want him to say "damn, this is too hard" - we want him to say "what, they charge $200 to change the cabin air filter? It is a 5 minute job with a $20 filter at retail and $10 on Amazon - those five minutes saved me $180. Cool!"

Last edited by cb1111; 08-29-19 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyyank (08-29-19)