GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New 2019 GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19, 06:22 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinst22
Checked with my dermatologist regarding this. He said darker tints offer better protection for preventing melanoma. Since it's in my family I'll go with the best protection. Additionally, they keep the car cooler hence requiring less AC and improving MPG (important here in the OC on the beach). Also protects the interior of the vehicle from sun damage. And of course, it just looks total bad ***
UV-B is what causes skin cancer and skin damage. UV-A can also damage skin. Both of which are very protected by Lexus side glass and windshield...to probably same degree as most (if not all) 3rd party tint. Remember, unlike the factory glass, 3rd party tinting rarely are officially certified/tested...a few are, but they tend to be the more expensive end.

As far as keeping cooler...sure. But improving MPG? In a 5900 lbs SUV with full-time 4wd and with aerodynamics of a brick wall and being driven by HUGE balloon tires, i don't think that tinting will help an ounce.

As far as interior materials aging, that may apply 30 years ago...but not with current Lexus glasses and advance plastics.

Bad ***...sure. Keeping you safe? The fact that your night vision has gone down, i think that you are less safe overall.

YMMV.
Old 09-13-19, 07:52 PM
8086Bruce
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, great looking rig!
The following users liked this post:
dustinst22 (09-14-19)
Old 09-14-19, 07:43 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Checked with my dermatologist regarding this. He said darker tints offer better protection for preventing melanoma. Since it's in my family I'll go with the best protection. Additionally, they keep the car cooler hence requiring less AC and improving MPG (important here in the OC on the beach). Also protects the interior of the vehicle from sun damage. And of course, it just looks total bad ***
You need a new dermatologist. This one isn't giving you good advice.
tigmd99 (09-16-19)
Old 09-14-19, 08:11 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
You need a new dermatologist. This one isn't giving you good advice.
Cool story bruh. I'll stick with the advice of an actual MD .
Old 09-15-19, 05:21 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Cool story bruh. I'll stick with the advice of an actual MD .
I couldn't care if you run limo tint, clear tint on anything in between, but don't try to convince anyone that a dark tint has better heat/UV rejection, because it ain't so.

If your dermatologist thinks it is, then he needs to go back to school.

Nothing wrong with admitting you just want dark tint for the looks.
Old 09-15-19, 05:46 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't buy the tint excuse unless you are the only driver, especially if driving at night.
Old 09-16-19, 07:15 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by srpuywa
I don't buy the tint excuse unless you are the only driver, especially if driving at night.
Tint, to reduce UV even more than the factory glass, isn't an excuse. Overly dark tint is.
Old 09-17-19, 04:34 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you tell me what you got off in terms of % off MSRP? I'm trying to negotiate a deal and figuring where I should begin.
andres0603 (09-18-19)
Old 11-21-19, 01:09 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Finally got SSO rack/sliders installed, new Falken Wildpeak at3ws, and suspension (Pics updated). Ready for the snow, going to get 30+ days of snowboarding in this year. Will get some better pics tomorrow, these are from the shop. So far loving this vehicle! Will likely add a metaltech front bumper next year, and am considering different wheels.

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-21-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 01:51 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Finally got SSO rack/sliders installed, new Falken Wildpeak at3ws, and suspension (Pics updated). Ready for the snow, going to get 30+ days of snowboarding in this year. Will get some better pics tomorrow, these are from the shop. So far loving this vehicle! Will likely add a metaltech front bumper next year, and am considering different wheels.
looks great! what made you go with the SSO rack and sliders? Suspension info too. Is that dobinsons?
dustinst22 (11-21-19)
Old 11-21-19, 01:55 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
looks great! what made you go with the SSO rack and sliders? Suspension info too. Is that dobinsons?

Mostly just love their build quality -- they make some seriously robust stuff and the quality is top rate. The rack in particular is much better made than a Prinsu which I think is of poor build quality. Everything fits together very precisely. You have to be patient as it takes months to get their stuff, but it's worth it. Yeah thats a Dobinsons lift kit.

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-21-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 02:07 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Mostly just love their build quality -- they make some seriously robust stuff and the quality is top rate. The rack in particular is much better made than a Prinsu which I think is of poor build quality. Everything fits together very precisely. You have to be patient as it takes months to get their stuff, but it's worth it. Yeah thats a Dobinsons lift kit.

You know what, that’s not the first time I’ve heard that about prinsu racks. I like the gobi style racks but most likely won’t do business with them due to their 7+ month lead time and their way of doing business (patents and threats of lawsuits).

someone on the ih8mud forum suggested gamiviti racks. Ultimately I want to climb up on the roof and sit up there for photography and outings like fireworks. I don’t think the SSO racks can be used for that ?

Old 11-21-19, 02:11 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
one on the ih8mud forum suggested gamiviti racks. Ultimately I want to climb up on the roof and sit up there for photography and outings like fireworks. I don’t think the SSO racks can be used for that ?

Ah yes, the gamiviti looks pretty sweet and very robust. However I think they are steel correct? I'd be worried about rust and the weight of the thing, particularly since I live near the ocean (we are about 2 blocks off the beach). The other rack I really like is the rhino rack, it looks really well made, versatile, and is aluminum. I also really dig how it looks. What I was worried about is the higher profile producing more noise on road trips. I'll have to test climbing up on this SSO rack, I've heard its quite strong.

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-21-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 02:20 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Ah yes, the gamiviti looks pretty sweet and very robust. However I think they are steel correct? I'd be worried about rust and the weight of the thing, particularly since I live near the ocean (we are about 2 blocks off the beach). The other rack I really like is the rhino rack, it looks really well made, versatile, and is aluminum. What I was worried about is the higher profile producing more noise on road trips. I'll have to test climbing up on this SSO rack, I've heard its quite strong.
yeah the rust was another issue being up here in the northeast.... I will have to find someone that can do aluminum and make it useable for someone to be up there. I’ll also need it to be low profile to clear a garage. I guess sometimes we can’t have everything.
Old 11-23-19, 09:42 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Video with latest mods

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-25-19 at 09:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dustinst22:
Acrad (11-24-19), ObsidianBl (11-24-19), paui4m (11-24-19)

Quick Reply: New 2019 GX 460