GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New 2019 GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 06:16 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Cool HB SoCal GX 460 Build

Got a smoking deal, 10 K off MSRP. Next up SSO rack/sliders/1.5-2" lift. Planning to be used for tons of snowboard trips, many road trips, and some offroading.

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-25-19 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Change
Old 09-03-19, 06:41 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Very nice, but it looks like you smoked the headlights and tinted the windshield.
Old 09-03-19, 06:50 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Beautiful Lexus...congrats! But i am confused by your choices...smoked headlights to shade bright LEDs...planning to lift yet have sports lower bumpers front and rear....
Old 09-03-19, 06:51 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Originally Posted by cb1111
Very nice, but it looks like you smoked the headlights and tinted the windshield.
That's because I did!

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-25-19 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Razel0821 (04-01-22)
Old 09-03-19, 08:37 PM
jcheung17
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinst22
Got a smoking deal, 10 K off MSRP. Next up SSO rack/sliders/1.5-2" lift. Planning to be used for tons of snowboard trips, many road trips, and some offroading.

Congrats! I picked up a 2019 as well, just the premium without the sport package.

Was everything vinyl wrapped?
Old 09-03-19, 08:44 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcheung17
Was everything vinyl wrapped?
Yes, vinyl wrap for chrome delete and titanium coating/ceramic tint. Had the wheels powder coated. Cost some $$$ to have everything done, that's why I negotiated so hard on the vehicle price . Only thing I'm questioning is my last second decision to get the lights tinted, I may have them adjust that to a lighter shade when I go back in in two weeks.

Last edited by dustinst22; 11-25-19 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 10:36 PM
Megamorph
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful!

There's a Lexus salesman or two lurking around here who would likely call you a liar about the $10K off deal.

Congrats!
andres0603 (09-04-19)
Old 09-03-19, 10:48 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Originally Posted by Megamorph
Beautiful!

There's a Lexus salesman or two lurking around here who would likely call you a liar about the $10K off deal.

Congrats!
Nah, it's very doable with a bit of solid negotiation esp with the 2020's coming in soon. Keep in mind my deal included the 3 K rebate and I got zero stealership add-ons. Last year guys were beating my deal even.
andres0603 (09-04-19)
Old 09-04-19, 01:59 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Beautiful Lexus...congrats! But i am confused by your choices...smoked headlights to shade bright LEDs...planning to lift yet have sports lower bumpers front and rear....
That's the "it'll never see a dirt road or bad bad weather look, but it'll look badass" look.

Technically, the car cannot be legally registered with the tinted windows and the smoked headlights, but the OP is in California where all logical thought went out the window a while back.
tigmd99 (09-04-19)
Old 09-04-19, 02:47 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

the OP is in California where all logical thought went out the window a while back.
Not true. The OP's vehicle would definitely be subject to citation for front tinted windows here in CA. This is one of the most common reasons for getting pulled over (along with missing front plate, which is not applicable to the OPs vehicle). The problem is that the regulation is not strictly enforced so as long as people can get away with it, they will continue to do so. I am surprised he didn't tint the front windshield (or maybe he did and it's a light tint). I am also sure that the tinted lights are not legal and would fail inspection but I cannot recall the last time anyone was ever pulled over for that and CA does not require brake/lights inspections regularly. But I would imagine it would be difficult to see his brake lights as well as his reverse lights and these mods could very well be used against him should he ever be involved in an accident at night.
Old 09-04-19, 03:04 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

The tinting on the lights is lighter tint, the light comes through very well . I admit the light smoking was a last minute decision that I didn't really think through, I may change my mind on it. Initially I was planning to just do ceramic coating/dark tint/powder coated wheels and chrome delete.

Last edited by dustinst22; 09-04-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 06:44 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

That's because I did!
That's the "it'll never see a dirt road or bad bad weather look, but it'll look badass" look.

Technically, the car cannot be legally registered with the tinted windows and the smoked headlights, but the OP is in California where all logical thought went out the window a while back.
Originally Posted by Chasin
Not true. The OP's vehicle would definitely be subject to citation for front tinted windows here in CA. This is one of the most common reasons for getting pulled over (along with missing front plate, which is not applicable to the OPs vehicle). The problem is that the regulation is not strictly enforced so as long as people can get away with it, they will continue to do so. I am surprised he didn't tint the front windshield (or maybe he did and it's a light tint). I am also sure that the tinted lights are not legal and would fail inspection but I cannot recall the last time anyone was ever pulled over for that and CA does not require brake/lights inspections regularly. But I would imagine it would be difficult to see his brake lights as well as his reverse lights and these mods could very well be used against him should he ever be involved in an accident at night.
He tinted the windshield as well (according to his post above)

California has this weird mindset that people do what they want with cars, while the police enforce some of the laws (like noise and tint) and people think it is fine to come to forums and complain about how awful the cops are for pulling them over.

The tinting on the lights is lighter tint, the light comes through very well . I admit the light smoking was a last minute decision that I didn't really think through, I may change my mind on it. Initially I was planning to just do ceramic coating/dark tint/powder coated wheels and chrome delete.
No it doesn't. It is a violation of Federal law and the lights no longer meet the requirements to legally register your car. Combined with your windshield tint, you've reduced your visibility.

Like others have said, if you're involved in an accident, then you can only hope that you have a large enough umbrella policy. It makes no difference who is at fault - because all it takes is for the other party to say "I couldn't see the taillights" or "the illegal tint impeded his visibility" and they own you.

But it looks cool.
Old 09-04-19, 06:48 PM
Megamorph
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No it doesn't. It is a violation of Federal law and the lights no longer meet the requirements to legally register your car. Combined with your windshield tint, you've reduced your visibility.

Like others have said, if you're involved in an accident, then you can only hope that you have a large enough umbrella policy. It makes no difference who is at fault - because all it takes is for the other party to say "I couldn't see the taillights" or "the illegal tint impeded his visibility" and they own you.

But it looks cool.
Good grief, uptight much?

Federal law, huh? OP, be very careful; the FBI might pull you over and give you a traffic citation for your tinted lights.
dustinst22 (09-04-19)
Old 09-04-19, 06:52 PM
MatB
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking GX. I like the grill. Good luck. Post some picks of it after the lift.
dustinst22 (09-04-19)
Old 09-04-19, 08:23 PM
andres0603
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I got zero stealership add-ons.
What dealer add-ons were you talking about

Quick Reply: New 2019 GX 460