GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 - Adventure Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 02:59 PM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing I will say from my backwood adventures here is larger rigs struggle. There's a reason jeeps are so popular in CO, they fit on the trails. I used to have a old K5 that I built and it did ok, but was no where near as capable as my XJ was. It will really depend how far back you want to go. There are still plenty of awesome trails that aren't too difficult to get to, but expect some Colorado pinstripping.

Prior to getting our GX we drove 4r's and they are awesome, but dollar for dollar I'll take the GX over the 4r. Way more comfortable, V8 has plenty of power to get up the hill and at least for me was cheaper compared to a 4r. We just did a road trip in our GX and was great. Can't speak to any offroad stuff because I wheel my Jeep. But if I was to wheel the GX would have to ditch the side steps, they kill clearance. Mods are going to be pricey but even 4r's are silly expensive to mod IMHO.

As for issues, valley pan, secondary air pump (but it's a recall) and water pumps.
The following users liked this post:
robertf (09-10-19)
Old 09-09-19, 04:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,390 Posts

I've seen a number on GXOR say to avoid the LC/LX570 if you plan to go on the real narrow trails.

Wrangler - 73.8"
460 - 74.2"
LC - 77.95"
LX 570 - 78"

Originally Posted by Smokeyyank
One thing I will say from my backwood adventures here is larger rigs struggle. There's a reason jeeps are so popular in CO, they fit on the trails. I used to have a old K5 that I built and it did ok, but was no where near as capable as my XJ was. It will really depend how far back you want to go. There are still plenty of awesome trails that aren't too difficult to get to, but expect some Colorado pinstripping.

Prior to getting our GX we drove 4r's and they are awesome, but dollar for dollar I'll take the GX over the 4r. Way more comfortable, V8 has plenty of power to get up the hill and at least for me was cheaper compared to a 4r. We just did a road trip in our GX and was great. Can't speak to any offroad stuff because I wheel my Jeep. But if I was to wheel the GX would have to ditch the side steps, they kill clearance. Mods are going to be pricey but even 4r's are silly expensive to mod IMHO.

As for issues, valley pan, secondary air pump (but it's a recall) and water pumps.
Old 09-10-19, 09:05 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751

Comfort really isn't comparable between the two and if you need to hit the highway the Jeep feels really out of it's element.
Interesting list, I guess I was referencing more of a TJ those are 68". 100% agree about driveabilty I used to drive an old CJ7 my dad and I built. While fun it was never enjoyable on the road. My WJ has the creature comforts and it already been roughed up that I'm not worried about some dents and scratches. The GX though is our garage queen I'll even get on the wife if she's not parking far away to avoid people door dinging it. It's just too nice to sacrifice to the mud gods
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-10-19)
Old 09-11-19, 09:25 AM
kenboslice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 GX460 Towing

Hey guys I live here in Colorado. My brother use to own a four-wheel drive shop so I'm familiar with four-wheeling. Although I'm not an off-roader anymore we recently bought a 2011 GX460.So many good things to say about it first off it's a luxury SUV with a 6500 lb towing capacity of course I never push that limit looking to tow a travel trailer around 4,000 pounds it also has a frame underneath it instead of unibody and a 301 hp V8.I'm not familiar with the 4Runner so I don't know what kind of towing capacity and frame system Our GX also has 18-inch wheels it has good ground clearance and I've been averaging 22 miles to the gallon. I was a commercial truck driver for years and know about trucks and a pick up just wasn't going to do it for us.We were looking to buy a Class C but decided to get something that we could daily drive and use for for traveling and not have an expensive rig sitting in the backyard with insurance and plates all year long. Never owned a luxury vehicle. We'll see where the adventure takes us.