GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Stock tires (Michelin Latitude Tour) fine for ski trips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 02:54 PM
dustinst22
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Stock tires (Michelin Latitude Tour) fine for ski trips?

Hey guys, just got a 2019 and this vehicle will be used heavily for snowboard trips to Mammoth, Big Bear, Tahoe, and Utah. Probably at least 30 days of snowboarding a year. This vehicle is going to be used solely for snowboard trips and road trips, maybe the occasional offroading. Are the stock tires adequate or will I have issues? Michelin Latitude Tours. I live on the beach in socal so prefer not having to swap on snow tires if I can avoid it, also no place to store tires where I live so I basically need an all terrain. Was eyeing the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but would like to use these tires for at least a few years first if they can handle the snow decently.
Old 09-16-19, 09:22 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinst22
Hey guys, just got a 2019 and this vehicle will be used heavily for snowboard trips to Mammoth, Big Bear, Tahoe, and Utah. Probably at least 30 days of snowboarding a year. This vehicle is going to be used solely for snowboard trips and road trips, maybe the occasional offroading. Are the stock tires adequate or will I have issues? Michelin Latitude Tours. I live on the beach in socal so prefer not having to swap on snow tires if I can avoid it, also no place to store tires where I live so I basically need an all terrain. Was eyeing the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but would like to use these tires for at least a few years first if they can handle the snow decently.
Michelin Latitude Tours are a great tire but you may be asking too much for an all season tire. I went with the LTX after my Latitudes wore out and they are great as well but I’m thinking you would at least need the LTX AT(all terrain) version IMO.
Old 09-18-19, 06:35 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinst22
Michelin Defender LTX MS2 ... probably the best tire available for dealing with light snow and ice short of going with a dedicated winter tire. Has lots of sipes for traction in slippery conditions with great dry performance and handling ... and a 70,000 mile warranty as a bonus. Deep(er) snow ? ... go with the AT version.
Old 09-18-19, 04:54 PM
Magnumpi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Michelin Defender LTX MS2 ... probably the best tire available for dealing with light snow and ice short of going with a dedicated winter tire. Has lots of sipes for traction in slippery conditions with great dry performance and handling ... and a 70,000 mile warranty as a bonus. Deep(er) snow ? ... go with the AT version.

I bought my GX earlier this year and have the Latitude tour hp, stock tires. After a trip to Bear in February and some slushy snow on the ground I quickly realized these are terrible in the snow. Drove around for a few hours in the snow and did not feel very comfortable. My other snow cars have been an FJ Cruiser with all terrains and an subaru with michelin premier as tires. Both handled very well and were very confident in the snow. I did not get that feeling with the latitudes. However they are great on the highway, smooth and quite. Not great for the snow. If you plan to get 30+ days in the mountains I second ASE comment above about the Michelin Defender in the snow. I have a friend who installed those on his rig and he goes to Tahoe alot. Probably as many times as you. Absolutely loves them and the 70k mile warranty. Said they are the best tire he has owned for driving in the snow. I personally just swapped my tires out for an all terrain (falken wildpeaks) for tahoe trips this coming winter. Not only do I make snow trips, we do lots of off roading camping trips with the family and I wanted something a bit more aggressive than the defender.