GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Multi Terrain Select MTS install on 2017 GX 460 Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 12:38 PM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts

The crawl control is really great especially for downhill control. I've used it while towing a light trailer (3000 lbs) down a steep and technical off trail at lake Lindsey and it really gave me the control I needed. With that said the manuel says no cruise control while towing.....I'll leave it there.

MTS is fun and having the option to put it on in high 4 is great and works well in tough stuff without needing to go to low 4.

Once in low 4 with MTS (mogul seems to be my preference) the GX feels unstoppable. you should go to an off road park or trail area and practice the same hill with the different modes to get a feel.
I find just being in low 4 takes getting used to (watch your gas on long trails )

As acrad has posted the braking and throttle response is changed per mode so its worth getting used to so when you actually need it you have a cell for the throttle response and speeds.

Older video before I added the lift, bumper ect.

The following 2 users liked this post by JayPixelGX:
ahmerx (01-19-21), bbqsoup (02-03-21)
Old 01-27-21, 12:22 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
leftyguns:

'14-'19 MTS "all-14-19 trims" is this PN: 859A1-60040

For the two button '10-'19 for with this gets you crawl: 84970-60090

@Acrad same parts for 20-21 all trims?
Old 01-27-21, 12:26 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

A few thoughts...Mud Sand is only mode on 10-19 that works in both 4H/4L. The 4H option was removed on 2020 model. It allows for greater control of ATRAC and can brake the wheels in ways a human could not modulate. Throttle response is also altered.
@Acrad Just to clarify, the 4H option is still there for the 2020-21 years but you're saying the Mud Sand option is not supported in 4H mode for the 2020+ model? Thanks!
Old 01-27-21, 12:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

L3xusGX: Correct I was referring to use of Mud & Sand in 4H.

'20+ crawl/MTS retrofit still an unknown but you can follow along with what eNx has done so far at link below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10969276
Old 01-27-21, 01:33 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

L3xusGX: Correct I was referring to use of Mud & Sand in 4H.

'20+ crawl/MTS retrofit still an unknown but you can follow along with what eNx has done so far at link below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10969276
Got it and I appreciate the quick response. It appears the process is not as plug & play for the 20+. Hopefully the details get ironed out in the near future but I have to wonder why the change in this aspect where as the rest of the vehicle is routinely touted as unchanged since 2010.
Old 01-27-21, 08:12 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks to this thread and the sister-thread on IH8MUD I was able to complete the MTS upgrade today. Took me about 1hr, had to refer to the ih8mud OP's youtube vid multiple times to figure out a few keys steps but made it in the end. Cycled through the menu to confirm function, however will have to take it out on a trail to appreciate the feature.
Purchased the module at https://www.discountpartsmonster.com/ for $224.07 (inc, shipping). They reached out to confirm VIN as others have also experienced, however I just responded that the part was correct as is (I didn't enter my VIN during the transaction).
OP, I owe you a beer sometime!
The following 4 users liked this post by xychromo:
Acrad (01-28-21), bbqsoup (01-27-21), JayPixelGX (05-12-21), nuclearn8 (04-22-21)
Old 02-03-21, 07:31 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Searched the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer on this question re MTS: For certain conditions, would locking the center diff be recommended along with MTS selection?
I'm headed to the beach later this year (OBX) and am wondering whether I should be locking my center diff + MTS mud/sand or just rolling with only MTS mud/sand selected?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
azfj60 (04-21-21)
Old 04-21-21, 10:12 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
Searched the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer on this question re MTS: For certain conditions, would locking the center diff be recommended along with MTS selection?
I'm headed to the beach later this year (OBX) and am wondering whether I should be locking my center diff + MTS mud/sand or just rolling with only MTS mud/sand selected?

Thanks
Wondering this also.

Also wondering about the interaction of my Pedal Commander since MTS modulates the throttle as well. I've reached out the Pedal Commander technical support to see what setting they recommend as "stock", or close to it. Getting ready to install the MTS and CC in my rig.
Old 04-21-21, 11:10 PM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Driving in sand bring your air compressor so you can air down the tires.
nice thing about mud and sand mode is you can use it in High 4 (and low 4). I.e you can air down put in MTS mud and sand and cruise and if you get stuck switch to low four and either crawl out or dig out.

As for locking the diff you probably won't need it unless going over steep dunes

Good video here

Old 04-22-21, 08:54 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

+1 on the air down advice. That has a greater impact on how your truck performs in sand over the use of MTS. In my last trip to the beach, I played with the various settings and found that MTS mud/sand + center diff locked + 4 high was the best combo in soft sand (in addition to airing down to about 18psi). Driving 4 low was too slow and revved the engine too high.
Keep a steady speed to maintain momentum and don't go too fast as your tires can easily dig into ruts and soft sand and jerk you in the wrong direction.
The following 3 users liked this post by xychromo:
JayPixelGX (04-22-21), smsrmdlol (05-12-21), SteveInCal (05-14-21)
Old 05-12-21, 06:38 PM
smsrmdlol
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayPixelGX
Hi, I’m so confused with all this

i have a 2017 luxury, so I have all 4 switches occupied

1. Higher/lower suspension (maybe for towing?
2. Sport vs normal vs comfort mode
3. DAC
4. 4high vs 4low

Am I still able to add MTS/CC?
Old 05-12-21, 07:02 PM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Originally Posted by smsrmdlol

3. DAC
4. 4high vs 4low

Yes you will still get the same unit.

1 raise and lowers the car great for off roading and adding some clearance only works below 18mph the lower is to help detach from tow hitch or unload something heavy
2. Is a bit of a gimmick but I guess sport when towing and comfort when crusiing and middle for ...middle experience
3 DAC is on luxury without adaptive cruise and front camera LDA ect. This works when going down hill must be in 4 low I believe to use DAC (same with crawl control)

4. 4 hi and 4 low are turned on while parked and shifter is in neutral. Low 4 for off highway use or snow

MTS has 4 modes most only work in low 4 except mud sand which works in both

You may have to do techstream calibration for CrawlControl to work on non CC models (see MTS/cc thread or gxor.org wiki )

The following 2 users liked this post by JayPixelGX:
chadmon97 (05-05-23), smsrmdlol (05-12-21)
Old 05-12-21, 07:03 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

3. DAC
4. 4high vs 4low

for adding CC, you will replace the switch panel, where DAC will replaced with CC switch. The switch panel are four switches. For MTS, you will replace the The Driver Support Switch ECU.
smsrmdlol (05-12-21)
Old 05-12-21, 07:17 PM
smsrmdlol
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayPixelGX
Yes you will still get the same unit.

1 raise and lowers the car great for off roading and adding some clearance only works below 18mph the lower is to help detach from tow hitch or unload something heavy
2. Is a bit of a gimmick but I guess sport when towing and comfort when crusiing and middle for ...middle experience
3 DAC is on luxury without adaptive cruise and front camera LDA ect. This works when going down hill must be in 4 low I believe to use DAC (same with crawl control)

4. 4 hi and 4 low are turned on while parked and shifter is in neutral. Low 4 for off highway use or snow

MTS has 4 modes most only work in low 4 except mud sand which works in both

You may have to do techstream calibration for CrawlControl to work on non CC models (see MTS/cc thread or gxor.org wiki )

I’m starting to understand thank you, so I need to order two parts, 60040, and 60070? While I have you on the line has the AVS or air bags ever been a problem when lifting the vehicle? Thanks!

Originally Posted by hzhao
for adding CC, you will replace the switch panel, where DAC will replaced with CC switch. The switch panel are four switches. For MTS, you will replace the The Driver Support Switch ECU.
So CC completely replaces DAC? Or just use one of the CC settings when going down hill?
Old 05-12-21, 07:41 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

I’m starting to understand thank you, so I need to order two parts, 60040, and 60070? While I have you on the line has the AVS or air bags ever been a problem when lifting the vehicle? Thanks!

So CC completely replaces DAC? Or just use one of the CC settings when going down hill?
DAC is a fixed speed CC, you are correct, just using CC for down hills.
smsrmdlol (05-12-21)

Quick Reply: Multi Terrain Select MTS install on 2017 GX 460 Luxury