GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

'14+ LED Lowbeam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 07:56 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

the design for introduction is whats regulated, thats why its covered up.
as for violation, you putting HID into a housing thats not OEM for HID, thats not a violation of FMVSS. you arent manufacturing, introducing or importing, etc.. this does not make it ok to do though.
it can be a violation of other regulations though. the F is for federal. You will be driving in some state, and that state makes the rules. the FMVSS is so you dont need to pass inspections in all states, its like a precept aligned to a treaty.

more importantly, dont make glare.
headlights are very important, and dangerous. not to preach too much, but really think about it. if you glare all over on some old lady, then what? too bad for her? uh no, too bad when she get nervous, cant see, whatever and veers into the oncoming car, yours!
then the culpability inquiry. you dont want that.

hopefully you can get your lights to work well enough. check the aim to one of the aiming docs, maybe the one cb111 posted. it could be that they are set too low, ive heard of a few lexus that came like that.
after you verify that they are set properly, and if still too weak, then go from there.
The following users liked this post:
WifesGX460 (10-24-19)
Old 10-23-19, 08:44 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks guys. I have zero intention to aim or modify my lights if it endangers others. I was simply seeking direction to attempt to improve the aim on my car.
Old 10-24-19, 07:16 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
the design for introduction is whats regulated, thats why its covered up.
as for violation, you putting HID into a housing thats not OEM for HID, thats not a violation of FMVSS. you arent manufacturing, introducing or importing, etc.. this does not make it ok to do though.
it can be a violation of other regulations though. the F is for federal. You will be driving in some state, and that state makes the rules. the FMVSS is so you dont need to pass inspections in all states, its like a precept aligned to a treaty.

more importantly, dont make glare.
headlights are very important, and dangerous. not to preach too much, but really think about it. if you glare all over on some old lady, then what? too bad for her? uh no, too bad when she get nervous, cant see, whatever and veers into the oncoming car, yours!
then the culpability inquiry. you dont want that.

hopefully you can get your lights to work well enough. check the aim to one of the aiming docs, maybe the one cb111 posted. it could be that they are set too low, ive heard of a few lexus that came like that.
after you verify that they are set properly, and if still too weak, then go from there.
Let me make this perfectly clear. The FMVSS applies to all cars that can be registered in the US. It has nothing to do with interstate commerce (although that makes you sound like a sovereign citizen) and the rules apply to all states - although, like I said, the states can decide how often, when, or if to inspect for a particular standard.

If a car does not meet all the standards, then it cannot be legally registered in any state.

And with that, feel free to discuss interstate commerce and what "Federal" means. You'll just have to do that without me in this thread.

Last edited by cb1111; 10-24-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 07:24 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasin
Thanks guys. I have zero intention to aim or modify my lights if it endangers others. I was simply seeking direction to attempt to improve the aim on my car.
I think it is a very good idea to check headlight alignment periodically.

While the procedure I linked to is a bit of a pain in the neck as you need to find a long, flat area with a vertical wall and some fiddly measurements, it is usually worth it.

Like John said, many cars come from the factory with the lights slightly misaligned and vibration can take their toll as well.

Please let us know how your alignment test comes out.
Chasin (10-24-19)
Old 10-24-19, 01:59 PM
sinistar
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like you are reconsidering this and if so, I appreciate it. There really are enough cars on the road already these days that are blinding me and other drivers I know.
Chasin (10-24-19)
Old 10-24-19, 02:05 PM
John00
Racer

You should check the lights if they seem insufficient. Insufficient lighting causes more accidents that too much light.
Just take care to ensure that you don't create problems for others, that's the main idea.
Chasin (10-24-19)
Old 10-24-19, 02:25 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by cb1111
Let me make this perfectly clear. The FMVSS applies to all cars that can be registered in the US. It has nothing to do with interstate commerce (although that makes you sound like a sovereign citizen) and the rules apply to all states - although, like I said, the states can decide how often, when, or if to inspect for a particular standard.

If a car does not meet all the standards, then it cannot be legally registered in any state.

And with that, feel free to discuss interstate commerce and what "Federal" means. You'll just have to do that without me in this thread.
What's not clear is that the FMVSS applies to an individual adjusting their lights on their car. We know it does not. The issue you seem to have is on whether someone can adjust them independently.
As chasin stated, there's no issue with adjusting the lights the way they are.

I don't think you are intentionally misleading people, and I'm not doing that either.
But I do provide the references and the actual text of what I'm looking at.

DOT HS 811 439:

CODE 301:

There's interstate commerce. The great thing about the actual site is that those words which are links all go straight to the definitions. The definitions as intended to be understood for this code.

All the back and forth is a waste. More than a waste, a disservice to those people merely asking for help on how to adjust their lights.
Old 12-06-19, 09:37 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Too much mumbo jumbo here without actual help...

I thought the lights on the 2014+ were auto leveling so how can one make manual adjustment ? I do want to raise my driver side headlight a bit higher as i know from factory usually the left side is lower then the right..

can i adjust the beam without removing the headlight? Also will it effect the auto leveling ? Anyone with pics to show which screw to turn to adjust would help

Thanks
Old 12-07-19, 06:10 AM
John00
Racer

have to wonder if you actually read the thread or just start off with a complaint.
Old 12-07-19, 08:11 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

have to wonder if you actually read the thread or just start off with a complaint.
I did however i dont see the place where to put the screw it seems as if the fender might be covering it or do i need to look again
Old 12-08-19, 07:20 AM
John00
Racer

there should be holes in the cover. 3 on each side. theres a thread here with some pics but i couldnt find it. either shine a light in the holes to see the metal gears or remove the cover.
Old 12-08-19, 07:33 AM
John00
Racer

best similar pic i could find.
theres 3 holes, one for each horizontal and the single tied vertical adjust.
the example pic is just to show how to access, its not to show which one to adjust.
Old 12-08-19, 10:15 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

best similar pic i could find.
theres 3 holes, one for each horizontal and the single tied vertical adjust.
the example pic is just to show how to access, its not to show which one to adjust.
Thanks alot for the pic this helps

So for each led there is seperate adjustment? And will adjusting the low beams effect high beam aswell ?
Old 12-08-19, 10:26 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dildildil
Thanks alot for the pic this helps

So for each led there is seperate adjustment? And will adjusting the low beams effect high beam aswell ?
from what I can recall, there is a single adjustment on each side that takes care of both LEDs on each side. I don’t remember the horizontal adjustment
Old 12-09-19, 08:55 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My drivers side headlight was replaced by an independent shop after a lady reversed into me. My low beams are pointed very low and the cutoff is short, maybe like 8 ft in front of my car. Alot lower then my BMW 3 w/ HID, or my Tesla3 with LED. I'm guessing I need to adjust the housing like these screws. I then park on a level surface and measure the beam on the wall. I usually follow something like this for what level the beam should sit on the wall: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...ust-headlights.

Quick Reply: '14+ LED Lowbeam adjustment