GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

'14+ LED Lowbeam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 01:33 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts
Default '14+ LED Lowbeam adjustment

Hi all. Would like to adjust my low beams a tiny bit upwards for better light projection. Has any done this? Is it the adjustment circled in yellow? The picture shows the back of a drivers side headlight. Doess clockwise = Up?

Old 10-23-19, 03:04 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

yeah a #2 screwdriver in there adjusts. cant remember which way us up, but usually the left one is opposite of the right one. so both out or both in. i dont see a gearbox, so maybe you have no way to adjust the low without affecting the high. park against a wall or garage door and turn one and see which way it goes
Old 10-23-19, 03:09 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
yeah a #2 screwdriver in there adjusts. cant remember which way us up, but usually the left one is opposite of the right one. so both out or both in. i dont see a gearbox, so maybe you have no way to adjust the low without affecting the high. park against a wall or garage door and turn one and see which way it goes
According to the FMVSS 108, the lighting unit must be adjusted as a unit. It is impermissible to adjust the low or high beam independently.
Old 10-23-19, 03:38 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by cb1111
According to the FMVSS 108, the lighting unit must be adjusted as a unit. It is impermissible to adjust the low or high beam independently.
^incorrect
Old 10-23-19, 04:06 PM
John00
Racer

ill add that the incorrect isnt about the wording, its about the application.
the SS comment is good in that it lets us know why the design is what it is.
the SS understanding might not be as good if people assume it applies to them without first reading the standard.

in general there's good reasons for the standards, we just need to know which part applies to which person.

my answer to the op was to know that one impacts the other, because many dont realize the connection.
id rather not get into discussions on standards and regulations when someone answers a question because that can limit peoples willingness to answer.
Old 10-23-19, 05:42 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

^incorrect
ill add that the incorrect isnt about the wording, its about the application.
the SS comment is good in that it lets us know why the design is what it is.
the SS understanding might not be as good if people assume it applies to them without first reading the standard.

in general there's good reasons for the standards, we just need to know which part applies to which person.

my answer to the op was to know that one impacts the other, because many dont realize the connection.
id rather not get into discussions on standards and regulations when someone answers a question because that can limit peoples willingness to answer.
Sigh. I have no idea what you just said.

I do know the regulations better than most here and I certainly know that the low beam cannot legally be adjusted separate from the high beam in the US or Canada. The lighting unit may have a way of adjusting them separately, but that adjustment screw must be sealed/plugged after adjustment at the factory.

As a regulator, I'd much rather that the end user know what the rules are before they decide to break them.
Old 10-23-19, 05:51 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Too much blahs blahs arguements without actually helping the OP.

@Chasin I'd like to know as well since I've realized that I've used the high beam too often because the low beam is not shinning far enough.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (10-23-19)
Old 10-23-19, 06:23 PM
John00
Racer

Sigh. I have no idea what you just said.

I do know the regulations better than most here and I certainly know that the low beam cannot legally be adjusted separate from the high beam in the US or Canada. The lighting unit may have a way of adjusting them separately, but that adjustment screw must be sealed/plugged after adjustment at the factory.

As a regulator, I'd much rather that the end user know what the rules are before they decide to break them.
As much as I would rather not continue on this, I do want to help people to understand not just this issue but the process to determine for themselves.
I also want people to know how their vehicle works, which is why i answered the question and gave info on the design, and I appreciate the additional FMVSS info on why it was designed that way
Part of what's incorrect is word selection, the rest is applicability. Keep the perspective of the end user and not a manufacturer/importer.

We need to understand the scope and applicability before aligning on the intent of the writing. After that it is possible to know what is legal/not legal for the end user.
Does FMVSS108 apply to the end user with respect to this adjustment? (ref 49 US Code 30112 a1 or maybe DOT HS 811 439)
Do they apply to the vehicle? Do they apply to the use situation of the vehicle?

If you correctly answer those 3 questions then you are off to a good start in understanding whats legal/not legal.
If you think you have an answer of yes then please message me so there's less hijacking of this thread.
The following users liked this post:
WifesGX460 (10-24-19)
Old 10-23-19, 06:28 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

@Chasin I'd like to know as well since I've realized that I've used the high beam too often because the low beam is not shinning far enough.
post 2 has help.
it doesnt matter which way to turn it, youll find out as soon as you turn it. if it goes the wrong way, turn the other direction. if you want, mark the hotspot or cutoff on the wall first.
Old 10-23-19, 06:42 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

post 2 has help.
it doesnt matter which way to turn it, youll find out as soon as you turn it. if it goes the wrong way, turn the other direction. if you want, mark the hotspot or cutoff on the wall first.
John, John, John....

and that would be the wrong way of aligning headlamps. Here is a much more accurate way (unless you want your neighbors to take a baseball bat to you headlamps...
Old 10-23-19, 06:57 PM
John00
Racer

John, John, John....

and that would be the wrong way of aligning headlamps. Here is a much more accurate way (unless you want your neighbors to take a baseball bat to you headlamps...
Again, your perspective causes you to be incorrect. Now I'm, wondering if you are just enjoying my company on here.

My post was telling how to adjust the light, not what height to set it to.
That's a nice link you posted, and in the end the OP will still need to take a #2 screwdriver and turn it one direction or the other. (you can also use an 8mm i believe, it's in the last low beam thread where adjustment was covered on non LED versions.)
No amount of standards, guidance or links to documents is going to change this fact.

If you can show how using a #2 is the wrong way, I'm interested. There's no difference on which way you initially turn the screwdriver, just remember to use one that works both directions. Because for one of the lights you go in one direction, and for the other it is opposite. (at least thats how I remember the other versions were)
Old 10-23-19, 07:05 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Again, your perspective causes you to be incorrect. Now I'm, wondering if you are just enjoying my company on here.

My post was telling how to adjust the light, not what height to set it to.
That's a nice link you posted, and in the end the OP will still need to take a #2 screwdriver and turn it one direction or the other. (you can also use an 8mm i believe, it's in the last low beam thread where adjustment was covered on non LED versions.)
No amount of standards, guidance or links to documents is going to change this fact.

If you can show how using a #2 is the wrong way, I'm interested. There's no difference on which way you initially turn the screwdriver, just remember to use one that works both directions. Because for one of the lights you go in one direction, and for the other it is opposite. (at least thats how I remember the other versions were)
I don't think it makes a difference what size screwdriver you use as long as it fits

If you're going to take a screwdriver to your headlights, then you'll want to adjust them properly, not just "up a little" or against a garage door like people on other forums love to do.
Old 10-23-19, 07:19 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

aiming the LED light higher might not do much for throw. in many cases raising the beam just creates glare without improvement in distance.
Old 10-23-19, 07:27 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Is the regulation written for the consumer or the manufacturer? Because as a consumer, since the lights were designed to meet regulation requirements, it would be impossible for me adjust my low beams without adjusting the highs. So based on this, I would not be violating the regulation as long as I'm adjust both simultaneously? Either way, being in CA, there are no light or safety inspections, so as long as I'm not blinding oncoming traffic, I'll sleep just fine. In the end, my slight adjustment won't be as bad as the numerous drivers that drive around town with their high beams on. If I am not satisfied, I will look into modifying my headlights and retrofitting HIDs into them.
Old 10-23-19, 07:38 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chasin
Is the regulation written for the consumer or the manufacturer? Both. The manufacturer must meet the regulation and if the consumer makes a mod that violates the regs, then that technically will not allow the vehicle to be registered.Because as a consumer, since the lights were designed to meet regulation requirements, it would be impossible for me adjust my low beams without adjusting the highs. So based on this, I would not be violating the regulation as long as I'm adjust both simultaneously? Of course not. That's why there one screw that you can get and one that is sealed up. Either way, being in CA, there are no light or safety inspections, so as long as I'm not blinding oncoming traffic, I'll sleep just fine. In the end, my slight adjustment won't be as bad as the numerous drivers that drive around town with their high beams on. Yeah, that's what happens when people don't care about their fellow road users. If I am not satisfied, I will look into modifying my headlights and retrofitting HIDs into them and that would most certainly be a violation of the FMVSS.
See my comments in bold.

Headlights are of things that affect other drivers. Most mods will only affect your car (assuming that they don't make the vehicle a hazard), but improperly aimed headlights can cause accidents - one reason why it is important to spend the hour or so to properly align your headlights.

As to the first point - the FMVSS sets the standards that all vehicles in the US need to comply with in order to be registered. The manufacturers certify that the vehicle meets the regs and the states are tasked with testing vehicles and enforcing the regs prior to registration or doing periodic inspections.

The states decide what to test and when, but they may not say "that reg doesn't apply in this state". They can merely choose not to enforce it.

Even if a state decides not to inspect for a particular reg, that doesn't keep law enforcement from citing you for a non-conforming vehicle.

All of the above doesn't really apply to the issue at hand, because no state I know of will actually check to see if you've tampered with that sealed screw as long as your headlamps are adjusted properly - but the hi/low alignment shouldn't go out of whack unless you've had an accident that physically damages the unit - and then you'll need a new one anyway.

Last edited by cb1111; 10-23-19 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: '14+ LED Lowbeam adjustment