2013 GX460 droning around 2000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 10:40 AM
felixs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2013 GX460 droning around 2000 RPM

Hi all,

I'd been exploring around this website for a while and decided to get myself a GX, so existed. I searched for about two weeks and finally find a 2013 with premium package, drove 6 hours to take a test drive yesterday. Everything looks good, clean interior and exterior, totally no rust underneath, but just one concern on the engine.

So once the engine get into the 1800-2000 RPM range, I could hear consistent loud drone, and the steering wheel and gas paddle have a tiny shaky when the drone came out (maybe the whole car is shaking but the "massage" on my hands and right foot got my attention). And the drive was totally smooth and quiet under 1800 RPM or above 2000 RPM. This seems to be happening on each gear. At the very beginning I thought maybe it is because the engine is on load during accelerating from start on the city road. But even on the freeway, I put it on 70~75 MPH cruise mode, this sound would just stay there like forever. I asked one of their technic in the dealer, he said maybe it is because the transmission fan is designed to be like that.

I'm not sure if there is an engine problem or transmission or something else. The car has only one owner and had all the maintenance service done every 5000 miles, there was no engine or transmission problem reported in the service history. Except there is no service between the last service of 90k and trade-in at 99k. Since there is no such problem reported and Toyota/Lexus have very good reputation on GX's V8 engine, the engine is supposed to be smooth, so I feel like it is unreasonable for this drone.

Anyway, my question is if this is a common problem on the 2013 GX 460 or it's just on this one. What kind of problem it could be then. I wonder if it is worth to take the risk, as I'm thinking to have one that last long. (2013 premium package in very good condition with around 100k miles, asking for 23k)

Any input will be appreciated, thanks guys
Old 11-03-19, 11:39 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 854 Likes on 591 Posts

I kinda doubt the shaking and drone sound are related. Any after market parts like a roof rack or aggressive tires on this GX?
Old 11-03-19, 03:17 PM
felixs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
I kinda doubt the shaking and drone sound are related. Any after market parts like a roof rack or aggressive tires on this GX?
Thanks for input.

I don't see any aftermarket parts installed. And the 34 point inspection report from the dealer says there is no NON OEM Super Charger / Turbo Charger / Air Induction System / Exhaust / Ignition System / Engine Control Systems / Computer Chips installed on this GX. There is only the rails on the top, and all new brake pads+rotors and new all-season Michelin tires.

The shaking is really minor, maybe because the drone of the engine causing the entire car buzzing? As i notice, regardless the speed, braking is very smooth.

And any idea about the droning?
Old 11-04-19, 04:02 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

they make kits to detect and pinpoint noises. could help to figure it out.
maybe you can borrow something like this
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-04-19, 06:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 854 Likes on 591 Posts

Yeah but a bit extreme with diagnostics tools though. This shouldn’t be a mystery with a knowledgeable mechanic that should be able to pinpoint the problem.
Old 11-04-19, 08:48 PM
felixs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
they make kits to detect and pinpoint noises. could help to figure it out.
maybe you can borrow something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-9720.../dp/B00123J79O
Thank you John00. It is a good idea, but I don't think I'd like to take another long drive to diagnostic this, especially I don't think the dealer will allow me to do this all day long.
Old 11-04-19, 08:53 PM
felixs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Yeah but a bit extreme with diagnostics tools though. This shouldn’t be a mystery with a knowledgeable mechanic that should be able to pinpoint the problem.
I guess I'd better to take some test drive on other GXs, see if this is a common problem. I read another topic somewhere saying this is a known issue for GX 2010+, but the common range for this issue is around 2500 RPM which most people will not use in their daily drive, so Lexus decide to not redesign on this. I guess if this is true, then this car might just have this problem on a lower range, probably?
Old 11-04-19, 08:54 PM
Ryfrench
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same issue

I actually have the same issue in my '13. Right around 1800rpm, a slight "droning vibration" shows up until 2100 or so rpm. It doesn't really vibrate much, it's more like you can feel the drone in the pedal and wheel, if that makes sense. I was wondering what that could be as well, but wasn't going to make a post about it because I figured it would be too hard to explain.

Now that you posted about it, I thought I'd pop in and say I know exactly what you're describing. I'd love for some possible insight if anyone has any.

Last edited by Ryfrench; 11-04-19 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 09:42 AM
hoverta
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is a 2019. Similar slight drone at that RPM. Not enough to be bothersome but you notice it because the rest of the rev range is so smooth.
Old 11-05-19, 09:54 AM
felixs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ryfrench
I actually have the same issue in my '13. Right around 1800rpm, a slight "droning vibration" shows up until 2100 or so rpm. It doesn't really vibrate much, it's more like you can feel the drone in the pedal and wheel, if that makes sense. I was wondering what that could be as well, but wasn't going to make a post about it because I figured it would be too hard to explain.

Now that you posted about it, I thought I'd pop in and say I know exactly what you're describing. I'd love for some possible insight if anyone has any.
Thanks Ryfrench, good to know someone else have the same issue with the same year mode. This makes me a little more confident to take this car.

Btw, how long have you notice this issue? Kind of hoping this won't be harmful to the quality of the car.
Old 11-05-19, 10:01 AM
felixs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hoverta
Mine is a 2019. Similar slight drone at that RPM. Not enough to be bothersome but you notice it because the rest of the rev range is so smooth.
Thank you Hoverta for this input. You are right, the engine is so smooth at all the other range. So the slight consistent drone thing makes me wonder if it is supposed to be.
Old 11-07-19, 04:44 AM
Ryfrench
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would say that it's been there since I purchased it in June. It's incredibly smooth everywhere else in the revs. Its time for an oil change and a spill and fill on the transmission, maybe it will smooth out after. All in all, I can live with it as long as it isn't something serious causing it.
Old 11-07-19, 11:28 AM
hoverta
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if there is just a harmonic resonance in the exhaust like people were experiencing on the RX350s a few years ago. Ended up people tried to add on dampeners to try and cancel out the resonance. I looked under the GX last night for some other reason and noticed there appears to be a rubber dampener hanging down. I wonder if that is there to prevent the vibrations we are partially feeling at 1800 rpm.

It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. Just curious.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (11-07-19)
Old 11-07-19, 01:20 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hoverta
I wonder if there is just a harmonic resonance in the exhaust like people were experiencing on the RX350s a few years ago. Ended up people tried to add on dampeners to try and cancel out the resonance. I looked under the GX last night for some other reason and noticed there appears to be a rubber dampener hanging down. I wonder if that is there to prevent the vibrations we are partially feeling at 1800 rpm.

It doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. Just curious.
Funny you mentioned that. I test drove a new 2013 RX350 back in 2013 and immediately noticed the drone. I was like what the heck Lexus was doing ... were they trying to make the RX more sporty by adding more "exhaust noise"? LOL. I drove my 2000 RX300 for 5 years from 2005 to 2010. It was smooth and quiet in all ranges.
Old 11-07-19, 03:16 PM
oubobcat
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this on my 2016. Mine is at 2200-2400 rpm. It’s a transfer case vibe.

per the dealership they can rebuild it but it’s not a guaranteed fix.

I have the bulletin from the same issue on the 470’s.

I do not think it is a problem and I opted not to have them rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-07-19)

Quick Reply: 2013 GX460 droning around 2000 RPM