GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2020 Lease/Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 11:58 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
It is sad to see a post deteriorate like this. The profit is certainly in the car and a properly motivated dealer can do all sorts of deals - but most won't.

The flip side is that everybody else can get a far better deal than you can get, but this deal isn't that ridiculous that you can say "post proof" - something that no sane person will do and nothing that you would ask face to face.

This sounds like a motivated dealer who will make some of that up on a trade (if there is one) and on the interest.
What is "MSRP" anyway ... meaning, what is the baseline for meaningful comparison ? This acronym is abused by dealers who play the "Dealer Installed Options" game that have an 80++% markup ... then represent this inflated price as "MSRP" ... and then play that as the baseline for giving the customer a "great deal" when in reality they are only sacrificing what was a profit play ripoff in the first place. So my point is ... unless invoices are available to do a direct comparison ... much of this "information" is worthless. Use TrueCar in your specific area to see what "deals" are actually being afforded by the dealers.

My local "Dealer Installed Options" on a GX460 Premium ... Front Window Tint = $850 ... Door Handle Scratch Guard Film = $650 ... LoJack Module (with 1-Year Service) = $850 (why when Enform provides close to the same level of tracking) ... the list went on to a total of $4,800+ ... when these options were worth a total of $1,200 at best. Everyone's experience is different based on dealers tactics ... so the only way to cut thru the dealer BS is to directly compare invoices.

Last edited by ASE; 11-06-19 at 12:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kgbagent1 (11-08-19)
Old 11-06-19, 12:06 PM
hoverta
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TrueCar is basically a dealer advertising site now. They pay truecar. So I don't know if that's really a great place to see what "deals" are available in your area. More like what deals the dealers would like you to take.

And by MSRP most of us mean the $$ amount on the original window sticker from the factory. Not what some local dealer has written up and taped on. What you are talking about are all the extra add on fees that every dealer tries to get you to buy. But those are not on the factory window sticker.
Old 11-06-19, 12:45 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Technically, MSRP is the number on the Monroney sticker on the window. The dealer cannot alter that number on the sticker, but they can add another sticker that describes any dealer added crap and ADP (additional dealer profit).

Dealers often add unwanted items at inflated prices to bolster their bottom line, but between the difference between actual cost and invoice, there is far more than the $9k in a 60k car. Some of the discounts dealers get are things we know (holdback) and some we don't know (volume payments, trunk money, salesperson incentives etc.)

Most states allow pretty ridiculous "document fees" that are actually their profit.
Old 11-06-19, 01:14 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
What is "MSRP" anyway ... meaning, what is the baseline for meaningful comparison ? This acronym is abused by dealers who play the "Dealer Installed Options" game that have an 80++% markup ... then represent this inflated price as "MSRP" ... and then play that as the baseline for giving the customer a "great deal" when in reality they are only sacrificing what was a profit play ripoff in the first place. So my point is ... unless invoices are available to do a direct comparison ... much of this "information" is worthless. Use TrueCar in your specific area to see what "deals" are actually being afforded by the dealers.

My local "Dealer Installed Options" on a GX460 Premium ... Front Window Tint = $850 ... Door Handle Scratch Guard Film = $650 ... LoJack Module (with 1-Year Service) = $850 (why when Enform provides close to the same level of tracking) ... the list went on to a total of $4,800+ ... when these options were worth a total of $1,200 at best. Everyone's experience is different based on dealers tactics ... so the only way to cut thru the dealer BS is to directly compare invoices.
Lexus of Bellevue?
I inquired this past weekend about a 2019 IS300 AWD and was told that all their cars come with LoJack and other paint and interior protectants that can't be removed (about $2k in add-ons) and this is on top of them being a Lexus PLUS Pricing dealership. I politely declined their best price offer with free floor mats on the car. They continue to call and email as of today. FWIW, i only got $2500 (Costco Auto) off my brand new GX in 2015 so these recent deals sound great!
Old 11-06-19, 01:37 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Lexus of Bellevue?
I inquired this past weekend about a 2019 IS300 AWD and was told that all their cars come with LoJack and other paint and interior protectants that can't be removed (about $2k in add-ons) and this is on top of them being a Lexus PLUS Pricing dealership. I politely declined their best price offer with free floor mats on the car. They continue to call and email as of today. FWIW, i only got $2500 (Costco Auto) off my brand new GX in 2015 so these recent deals sound great!
Sounds like something Lexus of Bellevue would do. I had so many bad experiences there, especially with the service department, to where I chose to drive all the way from Bellevue, to Lexus of Seattle in Lynnwood, just because they didn't treat me like I was an inconvenience. To this day, even after unsubscribing several times and calling the Managers, I still receive Emails for my parents' car's service from Lexus of Bellevue.
Old 11-06-19, 02:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Sounds like something Lexus of Bellevue would do. I had so many bad experiences there, especially with the service department, to where I chose to drive all the way from Bellevue, to Lexus of Seattle in Lynnwood, just because they didn't treat me like I was an inconvenience. To this day, even after unsubscribing several times and calling the Managers, I still receive Emails for my parents' car's service from Lexus of Bellevue.
Bingo. Bought a GX470 in 2010 at Lexus of Bellevue ... was a fantastic experience ... very professional. Fast-forward to 2019 ... their tactics dance on the "bait-and-switch" line ... plus they do the shell game thing with the numbers where it's impossible to reconcile back to any baseline. Agree, Lexus of Seattle in Lynnwood is fantastic ... bought a 2019 GX460 Premium there ... closed the deal in less than 10-minutes.
Old 11-06-19, 02:17 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Originally Posted by ASE
Bingo. Bought a GX470 in 2010 at Lexus of Bellevue ... was a fantastic experience ... very professional. Fast-forward to 2019 ... their tactics dance on the "bait-and-switch" line ... plus they do the shell game thing with the numbers where it's impossible to reconcile back to any baseline. Agree, Lexus of Seattle in Lynnwood is fantastic ... bought a 2019 GX460 Premium there ... closed the deal in less than 10-minutes.
Yeah, I didn't have a great experience with service at Lexus LOB either and not all impressed with Lexus of Fife (no suprise since they are under the same owners). I do like Lexus of Seattle but its quite the drive now from Renton.
Sorry to de-rail this thread.
Old 11-06-19, 02:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Yeah, I didn't have a great experience with service at Lexus LOB either and not all impressed with Lexus of Fife (no suprise since they are under the same owners). I do like Lexus of Seattle but its quite the drive now from Renton.
Lexus at some point clearly lost marketing control of their dealership network. One would think preserving brand integrity would be paramount. Slimy tactics and one-off deep discounts only cheapen the brand.
Old 11-06-19, 03:52 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I just bought my 2019 GX at Newport Lexus here in So. CA. They're one of the largest in the country (and a much nicer facility than Longo), but what I really like is the no BS approach. There is zero added dealer mark-up or dealer installed equipment. This was the third Lexus I've bought there, and each time has been simple and pleasurable. No nonsense, and they gave a fair discount considering the 0% Lexus is offering right now. The espresso bar and putting green make service visits nice too!
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (11-06-19)
Old 11-06-19, 05:56 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe a bit OT, but very helpful to this new owner in Issaquah who has to get some things fixed that the selling dealer in Michigan screwed up. Will NOT be visiting Lexus of Bellevue now. Side note: Bellevue is a bit disconnected from reality across the board. Had a buddy shopping at the Mercedes dealer and was told "We don't have time to answer questions on the phone. When you're ready to buy call us with a credit card."

I also stopped visiting Michael's Toyota (used to be on auto row in Bellevue, now in Eastgate) long ago after a series of unpleasant experiences.
Old 11-06-19, 07:00 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JZNC
Your doubt is reasonable. I am waiting to hear back about the interest rate from their Finance Department. Once everything is finalized, I will come back and report.
Hi, I am just curious why you need to wait for their FI guy? You can just finance the GX anywhere you want. My point is the selling price should not matter if you finance with them or not. Or if they make it a requirement, at least they need to match the cheapest rate you can get elsewhere.
Old 11-06-19, 07:11 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Hi, I am just curious why you need to wait for their FI guy? You can just finance the GX anywhere you want. My point is the selling price should not matter if you finance with them or not. Or if they make it a requirement, at least they need to match the cheapest rate you can get elsewhere.
Correct. I wonder if they’re counting on padding your finance rate to offer that price? My dealer where I’ve bought 3 cars from always gives a 10 day option contract so you can try and beat their rate. I told them there was no option contract needed for the 0% purchase last Saturday!
Old 11-06-19, 07:19 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PNWRacer
Maybe a bit OT, but very helpful to this new owner in Issaquah who has to get some things fixed that the selling dealer in Michigan screwed up. Will NOT be visiting Lexus of Bellevue now. Side note: Bellevue is a bit disconnected from reality across the board. Had a buddy shopping at the Mercedes dealer and was told "We don't have time to answer questions on the phone. When you're ready to buy call us with a credit card."

I also stopped visiting Michael's Toyota (used to be on auto row in Bellevue, now in Eastgate) long ago after a series of unpleasant experiences.
I'm starting to think that any dealership with a Big A$$ Fireplace (BAF) in their 5-star waiting room should be avoided. One of the problems in this area is Microsoft, Amazon, Google ... (the list continues) ... where the local dealers believe they have an audience that views 10-15% as a rounding error.
Old 11-07-19, 08:15 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Same with San Jose/Bay Area where some car dealers negotiation starts at MSRP then goes up.
You would never see $8k-$9k on any GX around here, it’s MSRP minus whatever rebate is going one. Take or leave it.

Originally Posted by ASE
I'm starting to think that any dealership with a Big A$$ Fireplace (BAF) in their 5-star waiting room should be avoided. One of the problems in this area is Microsoft, Amazon, Google ... (the list continues) ... where the local dealers believe they have an audience that views 10-15% as a rounding error.
Old 11-07-19, 08:22 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Same with San Jose/Bay Area where some car dealers negotiation starts at MSRP then goes up.
You would never see $8k-$9k on any GX around here, it’s MSRP minus whatever rebate is going one. Take or leave it.
That's partly why I bought my off-lease 2016 in Michigan and drove it back. Even with the gas cost it was thousands less than I'd have paid for an equivalent rig in Seattle.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lease/Purchase