GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I added Crawl Control using simple switches

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-19, 06:40 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

after some questions on effort, risk and the like Ive added a simpler CC method to post 4.
this simpler method is one of the easiest methods to get CC.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10659655
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (11-29-19)
Old 11-29-19, 08:27 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Great work John00!
John00 (11-29-19)
Old 11-30-19, 12:25 AM
gx460sd
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
Earlier I showed a mod to use simple switches to add CC. Some might want simpler.
Here is the other end of the spectrum. Complexity, benefit, cost, logistics, detail, time and risk are reduced. No waiting for parts, no visible change, maybe 15 mins to complete.

How to convert the DAC switch to a CC switch.
once at the harness connector at the combo switch assy:
1 disconnect it and cut the CC ON/OFF wire position 6 BLK and cut the DAC ON wire position 15 LT GRN making sure to leave enough wire to reconnect.
2 connect the connector end DAC 15 LT GRN wire to the harness end CC BLK 6 wire. At this point there is a cut BLK wire at the connector, and also a cut LT GRN wire at the harness. These are not used and can be secured.

Now the switch is converted. still need to run the cal process to get the computer to control the CC properly.

operation after cal completion
to turn on CC, flip the DAC switch to on and then back off. It doesnt matter how long you take since the signal works on the flip on only. CC works at the medium speed.
to turn CC off, flip the DAC switch to on and then back off. It doesnt matter how long you take since the signal works on the flip on only. CC stops working.
wow this is great lol... stealth crawl control
Old 11-30-19, 04:18 PM
John00
Racer

if doing the simpler 'stealth crawl' it could be best if the speed is set to slowest.
have a jumper wire on hand and short the wires to change the CC speed to lowest. From then on the CC speed will be at slowest when activated.
if i had only one CC speed it would be slowest.
Acrad (11-30-19)
Old 12-01-19, 04:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

John00: on stealth crawl does speed selection get reset to middle speed after a battery swap/losing power? I know ZPC is fine... just curious about speed selection.

I'll have to look around and see if I can find some connectors that are similar. Perhaps someone may want to build an in-line plug-and-play between existing crawl switch that takes advantage of your DAC mod and also includes some attached switches that could be routed to preferred location. This may address concerns of those averse to cutting into stock wiring but still be able to take advantage of the mod. Granted cost would likely be a little more than your full speed-range crawl option but still a bargain..
Old 12-01-19, 06:34 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad
John00: on stealth crawl does speed selection get reset to middle speed after a battery swap/losing power? I know ZPC is fine... just curious about speed selection.

I'll have to look around and see if I can find some connectors that are similar. Perhaps someone may want to build an in-line plug-and-play between existing crawl switch that takes advantage of your DAC mod and also includes some attached switches that could be routed to preferred location. This may address concerns of those averse to cutting into stock wiring but still be able to take advantage of the mod. Granted cost would likely be a little more than your full speed-range crawl option but still a bargain..

the stealth crawl speed memory works the same as the regular CC speed memory. i think we need a test to know if that means it retains or resets the speed setting on power loss.

Old 12-03-19, 09:50 AM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
the oem switch is about 400$ most places. once in a while its cheaper, sometimes from the middle east
the 12mm switches i used for up/down are 1.50$
the 19mm about 2$
the 7mm in the test setup are 0.15$ thats 15 cents
I'm new to the GX (previously Subaru Outback). I don't mind spending for the OEM switches. I'm assuming it's not a plug and play, if I get the OEM switch. Would the work be easier?

2020 GX 460 Luxury

Thanks!
Old 12-03-19, 10:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Unfortunately still lots of questions about the 2020 models.

• There is a different crawl switch on 2020 that also incorporates MTS controls. / 10-19 MTS is controlled on the steering wheel

• MTS module used in 10-19 is no longer there on the 2020 models

• No known wiring diagrams yet to research further. It may take a 2020 owner with OR package to trace some wiring

• Speculation this is Crawl Switch but until we see a wrapped version with PN can't be certain: 84970-60450

• Speculation this ECU may control MTS but again can't be certain 88150-60170

• More speculation but perhaps just adding the Crawl Switch enables both MTS and Crawl at the same time on the 2020 models?

https://lexusgxor.com/mods:body?s=crawl

10-19 Crawl Switch models:

2020... while speed switches (2010-2019) are two way toggle... the 2020 switch is 5 position from what I have seen.

Last edited by Acrad; 12-03-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 04:11 PM
John00
Racer

my guess is it is like the tacoma and some others. anyone have a tacoma with CC or the tacoma wiring there could be a clue.
Old 04-05-20, 03:13 PM
scautry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing work. really respect your workmanship- has anyone thought about using the stock DAC 080 switch and modifying the switch to be the on/off switch for CC and then adding the two plus minus buttons to the existing panel? I have seen where the DAC is modified to be CC but it is stuck at medium speed- Just seems like this could be the best hybrid budget CC solution. please let me know if there is a negative to adding the new hardware to the existing panel.
Old 04-08-20, 09:08 PM
sgranen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the work done on this thread! I may have missed it but i wanted to confirm before i start hacking away. If I buy the factory toggle switch, do i still need to rewire the computer for CC?
Old 04-08-20, 09:28 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by sgranen
Thanks for all the work done on this thread! I may have missed it but i wanted to confirm before i start hacking away. If I buy the factory toggle switch, do i still need to rewire the computer for CC?
No. If you replace with OEM CC switch, all you need to do will be the re-calibration the Zero point.
Old 04-08-20, 09:30 PM
sgranen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the confirmation! Almost seems to easy and to good to be true
Old 08-22-20, 11:57 AM
BoogyBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default If you want to keep the OEM look (and don't use RAHC.)

Originally Posted by scautry
amazing work. really respect your workmanship- has anyone thought about using the stock DAC 080 switch and modifying the switch to be the on/off switch for CC and then adding the two plus minus buttons to the existing panel? I have seen where the DAC is modified to be CC but it is stuck at medium speed- Just seems like this could be the best hybrid budget CC solution. please let me know if there is a negative to adding the new hardware to the existing panel.
This is amazing work and I was going to go down this route until I found a used CC switch 84970-60070 for $50.

However, knowing that my AVS will someday give up the ghost, i thought about what else I could use the AVS switch for. In the process, I discovered an answer to scautry's question and would be a much simpler and cleaner process than what John00 has gone through.

I plan to keep RAHC on my GX, but if you don't have/want it, the RAHC switches will take the place of the CC switch. There are plenty of orphaned 84970-60080 console switches out there, including mine, that can be used.

The RAHC controls are three momentary push-buttons just like what CC requires and they already have built-in illumination. There should be no need to pull out the Driving Support ECU since everything can be done in the console at the connector under the console switches. Basically you would just clip the wires on the back of the connector that would normally go to the CC switches and them splice them into the wires that go to the RAHC switches. The RAHC switches already share a ground, so it would only be three wires to splice.

After splicing the wires, go through the reset/ZPC process, and the the RAHC switch should work exactly like the CC switch, without spending $400.

Caveats:
- I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY DONE THIS, I just verified the switch functionality, traced the RAHC connector pins (see photo) and am extrapolating given John00's work.
- I have not verified the specific CC control pins on the wire connector. I would need to completely disassemble my install to determine this, which I'm not keen on doing. Maybe someone with an uninstalled 84970-60070 can trace those three CC pins? Or I guess you could splice into the driving support ECU as John00 did.
- The DAC switches will be dead, but can be similarly repurposed.
- The AVS switch will be dead, unless you have AVS. It can also be repurposed. I traced those pins and plan to eventually use mine for off-road lights, front and rear.
- The new "CC" switch will be labeled wrong. This can be corrected by spraying a matching paint over the switch face and then etching "SPEED" into the paint until you reach white plastic (if you want it to illuminate.)
Attached Thumbnails I added Crawl Control using simple switches-rahc-pins.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by BoogyBear:
Acrad (08-22-20), chrisca70 (09-16-21), GXORUT (08-23-20), hzhao (08-22-20)
Old 08-22-20, 12:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That is a cool $0 cost option.... please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: I added Crawl Control using simple switches