GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you see rust under your GX 460?
Yes
50.31%
No
49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 12:07 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

First time Fluid Film user here. First of all we live in the Northwest but they don't use salt on the roads here. I still decided to treat our vehicles with FF just as a preventive maintenance and if we decide to take a road trip where there's salt on the road it won't be a concern.

A while back I purchased the gallon can and the Woolwax spray gun which should be able to spray FF. So I filled one of the cans and try to do some test sprays but nothing came out of the nozzle no matter what pressure I used (tried 70-120psi).

So I decided to thin FF, I added about 10-15% vegetable oil per the instructions and then it was thin enough so I could spray it with the above gun. Next year I will purchase the official FF spray kit (would have bought it already but unavailable on Amazon).

In your opinion will the 10-15% thinning effect the performance or will it wash away quicker or I should be fine? I will check the undercarriage in a few months, now it all looks fine.

https://tinyurl.com/y2532b3u

Old 11-10-20, 12:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

The thinner will wash off and evaporate leaving the FF behind it should be fine. If you don't have road salt that cuts down on rust 95% from what I've seen. You should have basically zero rust issues now. BTW spraying FF is way easier on a hot day, I've never tried Woolwax can't buy it in Canada for a reasonable price.
The following users liked this post:
NewB2Lexus (11-10-20)
Old 11-10-20, 12:54 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I just did mine over the weekend. I hit a few spots on the welds/seams with a wire wheel and then rust reformer and then coated the full undercarriage with Cosmoline (RP-342). Wasn't as bad of a process as I thought it would be.
Old 11-10-20, 01:26 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The thinner will wash off and evaporate leaving the FF behind it should be fine. If you don't have road salt that cuts down on rust 95% from what I've seen. You should have basically zero rust issues now. BTW spraying FF is way easier on a hot day, I've never tried Woolwax can't buy it in Canada for a reasonable price.
I put the container into a bucket with hot water but it made no difference, even when it was warm I could not spray it with that gun.
Old 11-10-20, 01:47 PM
spectrum1c
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
First time Fluid Film user here. First of all we live in the Northwest but they don't use salt on the roads here. I still decided to treat our vehicles with FF just as a preventive maintenance and if we decide to take a road trip where there's salt on the road it won't be a concern.

A while back I purchased the gallon can and the Woolwax spray gun which should be able to spray FF. So I filled one of the cans and try to do some test sprays but nothing came out of the nozzle no matter what pressure I used (tried 70-120psi).

So I decided to thin FF, I added about 10-15% vegetable oil per the instructions and then it was thin enough so I could spray it with the above gun. Next year I will purchase the official FF spray kit (would have bought it already but unavailable on Amazon).

In your opinion will the 10-15% thinning effect the performance or will it wash away quicker or I should be fine? I will check the undercarriage in a few months, now it all looks fine.

https://tinyurl.com/y2532b3u

That's interesting because I was able to spray woolwax with that same spray gun and woolwax is much thicker. I did it during summer though when it was 80 degrees outside. Was the fluid film cold when you tried to spray it? I've read many people recommending to heat it up before spraying
Old 11-10-20, 02:46 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spectrum1c
That's interesting because I was able to spray woolwax with that same spray gun and woolwax is much thicker. I did it during summer though when it was 80 degrees outside. Was the fluid film cold when you tried to spray it? I've read many people recommending to heat it up before spraying
I put it into a bucket with hot water for a while and it felt warm. I could not spray it for some reason. Maybe I'll try to warm it up more and check.
Old 11-10-20, 04:48 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

How much FF is needed to adequately coat the frame rails. Is the 3 spray can pack enough? Or are you better off buying a gallon and the spray gun? Are the frame rails the only thing that needs to be coated or do others hit some of the suspension parts too? I'm guessing the best time to do this is when the vehicle is new and then every year after. Last question, does it drip off the frame and all over your driveway & garage after dried?
Old 11-10-20, 06:19 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I just had my 2021 treated with Krown at a place in PA. We’ll see how it hold up after this salty NJ winter.
Old 11-11-20, 05:34 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
How much FF is needed to adequately coat the frame rails. Is the 3 spray can pack enough? Or are you better off buying a gallon and the spray gun? Are the frame rails the only thing that needs to be coated or do others hit some of the suspension parts too? I'm guessing the best time to do this is when the vehicle is new and then every year after. Last question, does it drip off the frame and all over your driveway & garage after dried?
took me 3 1/2 cans of cosmoline for my frame but I was very liberal in applying it. I moved the spare tire and sprayed up under that area too.

There may have been a few drips onto the garage floor but nothing significant
The following users liked this post:
L3xusGX (11-11-20)
Old 11-11-20, 05:53 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JonGX
took me 3 1/2 cans of cosmoline for my frame but I was very liberal in applying it. I moved the spare tire and sprayed up under that area too.

There may have been a few drips onto the garage floor but nothing significant

Good to know, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-11-21, 05:31 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

So, Is this safe? We just purchased our GX but it was dark and the rest of the undercarriage was sprayed with some rubberized coating so I didn't see this on the frame. A friend of mine said to take it to a body shop that can cut it out and weld a new piece. Is that a safe option? He said they do it on older Chevy trucks all the time. My wife is really worried, but I can't really trade it now and lose thousands if I can fix it then treat the rest of the underbody correctly.
Old 02-11-21, 06:50 PM
kode3
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by spineman
So, Is this safe? We just purchased our GX but it was dark and the rest of the undercarriage was sprayed with some rubberized coating so I didn't see this on the frame. A friend of mine said to take it to a body shop that can cut it out and weld a new piece. Is that a safe option? He said they do it on older Chevy trucks all the time. My wife is really worried, but I can't really trade it now and lose thousands if I can fix it then treat the rest of the underbody correctly.
WOW I lived in Hawaii for years and any trucks this bad wouldn't even pass a safety inspection and would be deemed not road worthy. This looks like tremendous damage and I'd bet there's a lot more than is visible.
Old 02-11-21, 06:51 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

oh boy that’s not good at all. If you’ve got that kind of rust-through in one area, I would have serious concerns about the integrity of rest of the frame. Any additional pics?

Old 02-11-21, 07:06 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

No. Not safe. Definitely rust perforation, but any remaining warranty is likely void if the frame wws treated with some rubberized coating.
Old 02-11-21, 08:04 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe the warranty is only 72 months. It is a 2010. So I'm screwed. lol I will get some more pics. This looks to me as the only perforation of the frame and underbody. The rest of the truck is in really nice shape. Interior is near perfect. One owner, no accidents, but it did live in Atlantic City all it's life. Funny how it was serviced at the Lexus dealer for almost everything, and they never spotted any problems? Not until they had to trade it in.

Last edited by spineman; 02-11-21 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Rust