GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you see rust under your GX 460?
Yes
50.31%
No
49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 08:58 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by spineman
This looks to me as the only perforation of the frame and underbody.
for your sake, I really hope that’s the case, but that’s typically not how rust works. If you’ve got that level of perforation in one spot, it’s hard to see how there wouldn’t be extensive rust elsewhere.

Old 02-12-21, 04:13 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe the warranty is only 72 months. It is a 2010. So I'm screwed. lol I will get some more pics. This looks to me as the only perforation of the frame and underbody. The rest of the truck is in really nice shape. Interior is near perfect. One owner, no accidents, but it did live in Atlantic City all it's life. Funny how it was serviced at the Lexus dealer for almost everything, and they never spotted any problems? Not until they had to trade it in.
I wouldn't say you're screwed as I've seen plenty of talented welders fix rusted out frames (I'm assuming this can be saved though). I would go to a local/reputable body shop and see what they can do to remedy it while also QA'ing the rest of the under side. They should be able to assess your situation so you fully understand what you're up against and from there you can make a informed decision on how to proceed. On a side note, your warranty from the dealer may cover the repair or depending on the time line/warranty you could give the vehicle back for a refund. Although, the repair cost may be cheaper than you think and not worth the hassle?

Last edited by L3xusGX; 02-12-21 at 04:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
spineman (02-12-21)
Old 02-12-21, 06:06 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

Drive it to a carfax lot and sell it outright to them. They never crawl underneath the car... then go shopping for a new to you used one from a non rust belt state.
That rubberized coating applied by the previous owner is likely covering up other issues which eventually perforate thru from the inside out.

good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
kode3 (02-12-21), WRD4chano (02-12-21)
Old 02-13-21, 04:23 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

So, Is this safe? We just purchased our GX but it was dark and the rest of the undercarriage was sprayed with some rubberized coating so I didn't see this on the frame. A friend of mine said to take it to a body shop that can cut it out and weld a new piece. Is that a safe option? He said they do it on older Chevy trucks all the time. My wife is really worried, but I can't really trade it now and lose thousands if I can fix it then treat the rest of the underbody correctly.
is this a 470 or 460?
Old 02-13-21, 09:27 PM
LovetheLex
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
I just had my 2021 treated with Krown at a place in PA. We’ll see how it hold up after this salty NJ winter.
about how much does that run?
Old 02-15-21, 08:32 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default New to the snow + a rust question

Good evening everyone, today I drove my gx460 through the snow and ice for the first time (here in Houston). I am a native Texan meaning this was my first real experience with driving a car in these conditions and im happy to report that the gx was more than adequate and I had lots of fun! I wasn't planning on driving anywhere but it turned out to be necessary so here we are. My question to those with more experience than me is, how worried should I be about the road salt that is now all over the underside of the car? The earliest I can realistically see getting the car washed is tmrw evening or Friday if the snow hasn't melted tmrw. Is one trip through the snow enough to rot out the frame if left un cleaned for a week? I know toyota seems to have a reputation for frames rotting out (not sure how much validity this claim has) but I thought it would be worth asking the question. Is there anything I can do to absolutely ensure I don't have to deal with the headaches that come along with rust? Thanks.
Old 02-15-21, 08:48 PM
LovetheLex
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
Good evening everyone, today I drove my gx460 through the snow and ice for the first time (here in Houston). I am a native Texan meaning this was my first real experience with driving a car in these conditions and im happy to report that the gx was more than adequate and I had lots of fun! I wasn't planning on driving anywhere but it turned out to be necessary so here we are. My question to those with more experience than me is, how worried should I be about the road salt that is now all over the underside of the car? The earliest I can realistically see getting the car washed is tmrw evening or Friday if the snow hasn't melted tmrw. Is one trip through the snow enough to rot out the frame if left un cleaned for a week? I know toyota seems to have a reputation for frames rotting out (not sure how much validity this claim has) but I thought it would be worth asking the question. Is there anything I can do to absolutely ensure I don't have to deal with the headaches that come along with rust? Thanks.
It would be a good idea to get under there with a hose and rinse everything but no, one trip will not “rot out your frame.”
Ab175 (02-15-21)
Old 02-15-21, 08:51 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

the salts going on be on the road for a couple days. keep washing under it and spray some water into the areas where the rear wiper hides. also the areas where the plastic bump meets the metal panels.

for absolute peace of mind, buy some
and either crawl under and spray EVERYTHING, or have a shop do it.
Ab175 (02-15-21)
Old 02-16-21, 06:14 AM
Jmanscotch
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As a native Texan, but also a Corrosion Technologist, do not worry about anything.

When the weather gets back to normal Texas weather and there's no more salt on the road, take the rig to the local manual car wash and wash it a few times over a few weeks, if it'll make you feel better. Corrosion is a slow electrochemical process, nothing notable is going to happen with what you're facing. If you'd like, run it through a automatic car wash that has the undercarriage spray function first then at the manual car wash, focus on the crevices and cavities as that's what'll store the salt. You don't have to go crazy, just be mindful of it and get some water flushing those spots out the best you easily can.

Honestly, a few rainy days will have the same effect of washing it underneath too. No need to stress about it causing any actual issues. If you live by the gulf, the salty sea water is more of a problem than this one random incident.

Also, how y'all doing down there in this 100 degree colder than normal weather?!

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 02-16-21 at 06:20 AM.
LovetheLex (02-16-21)
Old 02-16-21, 08:16 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmanscotch
Also, how y'all doing down there in this 100 degree colder than normal weather?!
I think most people that were prepared for possible extended power outages are doing fine. For me personally here on the north side of town we were without power yesterday for about 13 hours but it finally came back. I really need to finally get a transfer switch installed and buy a larger generator. Sort of a pain to get out my smaller Yamaha unit and run cables to the fridges etc...
Jmanscotch (02-16-21)
Old 02-16-21, 10:32 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LovetheLex
about how much does that run?
i think it was $160 bux. I was in and out in 45 minutes.
Old 02-16-21, 10:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Krown sucks the stuff doesn't work all that well and doesn't last long either. Unless they've drastically improved the formula but about 4 years ago I know someone that had it applied was a complete waste of money. Only positive is the stuff didn't do any damage, it did drip everywhere though.
Old 02-16-21, 09:47 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmanscotch
As a native Texan, but also a Corrosion Technologist, do not worry about anything.

When the weather gets back to normal Texas weather and there's no more salt on the road, take the rig to the local manual car wash and wash it a few times over a few weeks, if it'll make you feel better. Corrosion is a slow electrochemical process, nothing notable is going to happen with what you're facing. If you'd like, run it through a automatic car wash that has the undercarriage spray function first then at the manual car wash, focus on the crevices and cavities as that's what'll store the salt. You don't have to go crazy, just be mindful of it and get some water flushing those spots out the best you easily can.

Honestly, a few rainy days will have the same effect of washing it underneath too. No need to stress about it causing any actual issues. If you live by the gulf, the salty sea water is more of a problem than this one random incident.

Lots of people are struggling right now, just got power back for the first time since Sunday night so thats good, water pipes are frozen and one of my water heaters kicked the bucket but other than that it's going ok. Definitely ready to have my warm texas weather back though lol. Power is still very inconsistent but at least I have it now to charge up a few things so I am not complaining. It's rough for sure, Texas isn't built for this kinda weather.

Last edited by Ab175; 02-16-21 at 09:56 PM.
Jmanscotch (02-17-21)
Old 02-18-21, 06:28 AM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Krown sucks the stuff doesn't work all that well and doesn't last long either. Unless they've drastically improved the formula but about 4 years ago I know someone that had it applied was a complete waste of money. Only positive is the stuff didn't do any damage, it did drip everywhere though.
plenty of pro shop reviews online with video that show Krown works. What does that even mean-it didn’t do any damage, lol? I’ll post my review in the spring after a NJ winter. I don’t trust people who say “I know a guy.” You either see the before (application day) and after (inspection after winter) or go home. In all honesty, I see plenty of FF posts stating the same thing. The only option is to try and see how it does.

Last edited by TheHighLow; 02-18-21 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-18-21, 09:43 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
is this a 470 or 460?
2010 GX 460

Taking it to body shop tomorrow to check if it can be fixed!

Quick Reply: Rust