GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you see rust under your GX 460?
Yes
50.31%
No
49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 04:08 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

It’s a rust perforation warranty, not a surface rust warranty.
no manufacturer, even Porsche or Bugatti or Ferrari would warranty surface undercarriage rust. It’s not visible when walking up to the vehicle, isn’t functionally affecting the safety or performance (and never will) and on top of all that, it’s expected to occur.

I say it again, fluid film is your friend.

enjoy your Gx!
Old 04-30-21, 04:37 AM
AxisLexus
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Addressing the rust/corrosion issue will be this weekend's job. I will post some before and after pictures and the steps/ chemicals I used if others want to tackle their GX sometime.
The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (05-01-21)
Old 04-30-21, 05:31 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

always look underneath any car u buy. its a must. thats a bunch of garbage from your lexus dealers. they fixed the rust under my first gx460. not sure why they didnt for u.
Old 04-30-21, 06:38 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

There is so much exposed metal on the.underside of the GX.

Oxygen and Water is all it takes to start the process with exposed metals.

As mentioned before, FF or Corrosion X HD/XD will help slow this process and create a barrier for the corrosion process to start.

Old 05-01-21, 08:01 AM
TonyMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2017 I bought in Tampa with 12k has no sign of any type of corrosion. My 2012 Nissan with 307k which I bought new the same no signs of any type of corrosion. I am in SE Louisiana and it is wet and humid here I guess the salt in air really is bad.
Old 05-01-21, 11:14 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AxisLexus
A second Lexus dealership said pretty much the same thing. While is is unsightly, the rust and corrosion is not a defect nor warrantable issue. Both dealerships said this is quite normal for northeastern cars to develop this level of rust/corrosion within a very short time. The dealership I bought it from is not returning my calls nor replying to emails. I suspect they do not want to deal with it or see it as a normal condition. Regardless, I plan to remove the rust/corrosion myself and then put a rust preventative coating on the parts as much as I can and then get on with enjoying the great GX. Thanks all for the interest in this problem I have.
That's not an acceptable answer from the dealerships. The dealer is trying to save itself. Contact corporate and start to tell them lemon the car or buyback. This is a brand new car. My brand new GX never had such an issue new. Imagine what will happen to those parts after usage of the car. The state and region your in is just an excuse for this, not a reasonable claim. I would start to talk to an experienced lawyer. Im sure if you ever sell the car anyone buying your car or dealer would cut money from you once they see the rust. I would also check other dealer's vehicles on a lift other than the dealer you purchased to see if there's has an issue with brand new. This is of course not a defect this is water damage prior to delivery possibly that sat around the car high enough for a while so this would be a substantial defect. I would treat rust=mold for a car. just my 2 cents. https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/r...--2338063.html

Last edited by Zayn; 05-02-21 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-03-21, 09:39 AM
AxisLexus
Rookie

Well it is done, for now.... After researching the best products and rust removal methods, this is the result from hours under the GX this past weekend. Used a few wire brushes, air compressor and elbow grease to remove all the rust/corrosion I could. For the non-painted parts, I coated with the CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor that comes out and dries with an amber tint, which you can see from the image. For the painted parts, I used the Dupli-Color Rust barrier and after 2-3 coats covered very well. All-in-all, was it worth it? We shall see in the coming years but I feel it was well worth it for peace of mind and if any of you have similar issues, hope this will lead you down a path to address your rust/corrosion issues.

Fluid Film or other products were not what I ultimately wanted for various reasons. These seemed to do the job, with maybe a little naval jelly if needed.

Novo (05-15-21)
Old 05-03-21, 11:37 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I am not sure this is a great idea:
Old 05-03-21, 12:02 PM
AxisLexus
Rookie

I saw this before decided to use it. Surface prep is the key to prevent encapsulating the rust and having the metal eaten from within. This is why I mentioned using naval jelly in spots as it will convert/remove the rust prior to spraying.
Old 05-15-21, 04:22 PM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I detailed my 2021 Luxury GX and took a good look underneath. Here’s some photos. In the past, I’ve heard about problems with rust in certain areas under the car. I only have 1,900 miles on it and take it in next month for 6 month check-up. After reading the above posts, I’m curious to see what my dealer has to say. Is some of this rust to be expected? I can’t imagine what it’ll look like in 3 or 4 years. My friends LX also rusted, i just didn’t expect it to happen so quickly to my 2021. If dealer won’t help, how quickly should I get this taken care of? No snow or salt for another 7 months! Thanks

Old 05-15-21, 05:55 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

those are purposely exposed and untreated areas of the undercarriage so they are designed to rust, like the weathering steel used in bridges which rusts on purpose, the rust actually creates a protective barrier to protect the metal underneath.... google Corten or Cor-ten steel

Novo (05-15-21)
Old 05-15-21, 06:05 PM
Novo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you! I had a company fleet vehicle for 30 years and this is only the second car i ever bought so I pay attention to everything going on with this car. I appreciate your answer.
Old 05-15-21, 06:40 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Agreed with Nuclearn8 on this, plus he likes FF and I'm a Corrosion X Fan....

The painted steel areas WILL rust if not protected. The cheap paint that the contractor places on the frame will not protect against corrosion. Moisture and Oxygen is all it takes to start the process.

Even the transfer case that is made out of aluminum will start to oxidize if not protected with your choice of protection.

Toyota had a recall on the frames of the Sequoias due to corrosion.
Old 05-19-21, 09:32 AM
AxisLexus
Rookie

Wanted to give all a summary comparison image of what I am experiencing and why I started this thread. The image below shows my 2004 Sequoia I purchased new and now has 253k miles vs. the my 2021 GX 460 with 9 miles at the time of the picture. The image clearly shows why I have this concern and have taken the steps to do my best to remedy the issue as Lexus/Toyota will not do anything about it.

Novo (05-19-21)
Old 05-19-21, 09:35 AM
AxisLexus
Rookie

I would address the rust/corrosion as soon as possible, but for sure before winter hits and the road salt does further damage. There are numerous ways others have mentioned in this thread, so you should have a few options.
The following 2 users liked this post by AxisLexus:
BigD026 (05-20-24), Novo (05-19-21)

Quick Reply: Rust