GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

RAHC Components & Functions / Questions / Comments / Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 06:18 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

The air springs work fine, but they are a system that I would expect to fail at some point, probably multiple times in the vehicle's life, simply because there are components that can/will wear out. The coil spring rear suspension is a system that I would expect to never fail.

The rear air springs on my '04 GX470 never did fail, but were replaced with coil springs when I replaced the shocks, which did fail due to rust.
Old 11-10-23, 10:59 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Understood - yeah, I know the air springs are a component that's been used on countless Toyota/Lexus products, but I'm looking for a 15 year lifespan vehicle with minimal parts replacements. I should probably avoid the Luxury trim.
Old 11-10-23, 12:07 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Research the cost of AVS Shock replacement ... $$$$$ vs $$ ... so yes, I woukd go with a Permium Model ...
Old 11-10-23, 02:19 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Ask guys who owned GX470. I had a 2005. At the time I sold it in 2021, the air springs were as good as new. Yes I saw those trucks with air spring failures, at the age of 15 you probably either replace them yourself or swap with coil springs.

To me these air springs are well built but they do not last forever. I bought a luxury because it had the color combination I wanted. If I had choice between premium plus and luxury I would’ve probably chosen the premium plus, although I am not a fan of artificial leather seats.
Old 11-11-23, 07:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Just some general airline service info I don’t think was posted before.

Old 01-17-24, 05:44 PM
WallStreetWayno
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX Variable Air Suspension

Hey Folks!

If I don't use the variable air suspension, can I or should I simply turn it of (there's an off button). Will it simply use the KDSS?

By turning it off will it help preserve the air suspension? I'm curious on the feedback

Thanks.
Old 01-17-24, 08:12 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

If I don't use the variable air suspension, can I or should I simply turn it of (there's an off button).
First off, the air suspension is always monitoring vehicle height and will adjust as required, so the system is always in use. If you turn it off, it will automatically turn on when the vehicle exceeds 18 mph. The off button is only to disable the system when the vehicle is serviced, for example lifting the vehicle for a tire change, etc.

By turning it off will it help preserve the air suspension?
Not sure what you mean by preserve. The item that will wear eventually is the air springs due to leaking. But with that said, you can expect a long life from them. If the springs leak, this causes the compressor to run excessively which is not good.

Will it simply use the KDSS?
No. KDSS is not related to the air suspension. KDSS disables the sway bars based on sensor inputs. Operation is totally transparent and automatic, the driver has no control over it.

Last edited by mike202; 01-17-24 at 08:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WallStreetWayno (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 04:13 AM
jonshonda
Intermediate

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mike202
KDSS disables the sway bars based on sensor inputs. Operation is totally transparent and automatic, the driver has no control over it.
To build on this, the KDSS doesn't just disable the sway bars, it also enables them when cornering and other times when additional stability is required.
That's what enables the little piggy to actually corner pretty flat and well composed. Is it a Miata....no. But she ain't bad either.
Old 01-18-24, 11:52 AM
WallStreetWayno
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike202
First off, the air suspension is always monitoring vehicle height and will adjust as required, so the system is always in use. If you turn it off, it will automatically turn on when the vehicle exceeds 18 mph. The off button is only to disable the system when the vehicle is serviced, for example lifting the vehicle for a tire change, etc.

Not sure what you mean by preserve. The item that will wear eventually is the air springs due to leaking. But with that said, you can expect a long life from them. If the springs leak, this causes the compressor to run excessively which is not good.

No. KDSS is not related to the air suspension. KDSS disables the sway bars based on sensor inputs. Operation is totally transparent and automatic, the driver has no control over it.
Thank you very much. Totally clear and in depth - much appreciated!!!