GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Engine cover/plate falling off

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 08:01 PM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine cover/plate falling off

I’ll preface this post by saying I’m fairly ignorant when it comes to working on cars. The metal plate/cover underneath the front of my wife’s GX has two of the three screws missing and it’s drooping down to the point where it looks like it’s about to fall off. One of the screws is completely gone and the other has been broken off where it screws into the plate/cover. I’ve got zip ties holding it up temporarily.

My local mechanic hasn’t seen it yet but based on what I described to him, he says this is a fairly common issue and a lot of people elect to just remove the plate/cover. Seems odd to me as I assume this is to protect the engine under the car? Can anyone confirm it’s OK to simply remove the plate?

Thank you!
Old 12-02-19, 05:16 AM
natehack
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably is okay to just remove if you do not want to fix.

I would find a way to keep it on though. There are three different skid plates/engine covers on the underside of the truck.

Starting from the front and working to the back of the truck, our 2013 is configured thusly:
#1) A smallish plastic cover connected to the front bumper and #2 skid. Fastened with 10mm hardware.
#2) Steel ‘Skid’ covers the underside of the engine And is a jacking point for the front of the truck. 12mm hardware.
#3) Steel ‘Skid’ covers the front differential area. 12mm hardware.

I like keeping all on for protection from the elements and what has to be slightly better air flow.

Bring it to my house and I’ll take a look at it for ya!!
Old 12-02-19, 05:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

#2 bolts above have PN: 90080-11373 / Old PN: 90119-08A33

Old 12-02-19, 08:56 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dstewart
I’ll preface this post by saying I’m fairly ignorant when it comes to working on cars. The metal plate/cover underneath the front of my wife’s GX has two of the three screws missing and it’s drooping down to the point where it looks like it’s about to fall off. One of the screws is completely gone and the other has been broken off where it screws into the plate/cover. I’ve got zip ties holding it up temporarily.

My local mechanic hasn’t seen it yet but based on what I described to him, he says this is a fairly common issue and a lot of people elect to just remove the plate/cover. Seems odd to me as I assume this is to protect the engine under the car? Can anyone confirm it’s OK to simply remove the plate?

Thank you!
While your car won't self destruct if you leave it off, the under body shields have several important functions:

Protection from small road debris, mud and crud
Improves airflow under the car
Improves engine cooling

Depending on where you take your car for servicing, you might want to discuss this with them as it is their fault.

Old 12-02-19, 09:23 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cb1111
While your car won't self destruct if you leave it off, the under body shields have several important functions:

Protection from small road debris, mud and crud
Improves airflow under the car
Improves engine cooling

Depending on where you take your car for servicing, you might want to discuss this with them as it is their fault.
I was wondering about that so glad you mentioned it....I take it to a buddy’s shop for basic stuff (oil change, tire rotation, top off fluids, brakes, etc.) Does that plate have to come off in order for them to change oil? If so, it’s likely they caused this and I will go back to them to fix.
Old 12-02-19, 09:40 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Here’s a photo before I added the zip ties
Old 12-02-19, 10:21 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

I was wondering about that so glad you mentioned it....I take it to a buddy’s shop for basic stuff (oil change, tire rotation, top off fluids, brakes, etc.) Does that plate have to come off in order for them to change oil? If so, it’s likely they caused this and I will go back to them to fix.
Yep. They were in a hurry and either didn't put the screws in or didn't tighten them. Very common situation.

Oh, you need new tires urgently - and why are they pointing in different directions?

Last edited by cb1111; 12-02-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-02-19, 10:22 AM
Mistaken
Rookie

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally, I would have the needed repairs done to fix it and get it sitting properly.
Old 12-02-19, 10:43 AM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

Yep. They were in a hurry and either didn't put the screws in or didn't tighten them. Very common situation.

Oh, you need new tires urgently - and why are they pointing in different directions?
Didn’t know they were pointing in different directions...what indicates that, the white lettering on one tire but not on the other? Because on the outside of the tires, there is no white lettering anywhere...
Old 12-02-19, 12:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Missing screws on the plastic part to front metal skid are these

PN: 90109-06330
Old 12-02-19, 12:22 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Didn’t know they were pointing in different directions...what indicates that, the white lettering on one tire but not on the other? Because on the outside of the tires, there is no white lettering anywhere...
It looks like the two wheels are pointing outwards - but it could be the way you photographed it.

It is weird that you have one white lettered tire - but more importantly - those tires are bald and dangerous to be driving on. You need new tires and an alignment.

I'd also go looking for a new shop. Your buddy isn't doing you any favors. Not only did he screw up your under body cladding, but he also should have told you about your tires and alignment. Get new tires before bad weather hits.
Old 12-02-19, 01:07 PM
dstewart
Driver School Candidate

It looks like the two wheels are pointing outwards - but it could be the way you photographed it.

It is weird that you have one white lettered tire - but more importantly - those tires are bald and dangerous to be driving on. You need new tires and an alignment.

I'd also go looking for a new shop. Your buddy isn't doing you any favors. Not only did he screw up your under body cladding, but he also should have told you about your tires and alignment. Get new tires before bad weather hits.
Ahh - that’s the new wide photo lens on my iPhone 11 ...I’ve found it distorts the image when used on up close photos. Greatly appreciate all the advice and feedback. Last time I had the car in the shop (a few months ago) he told me I would probably be due for tires next time in. Merry Christmas to us
Old 12-02-19, 01:37 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Thank you!
That's your skid plate. I would not remove given it protects your vehicle from road debris and potential damage if that debris has some weight and velocity. I have found that mechanics tend to get happy with their impact wrench when reinstalling ... stripping the threads or breaking off the bolt ... which may be the case here.
Old 12-02-19, 02:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Metal skid for oil filter access - torque specs: 29 N*m{ 296 kgf*cm , 21 ft.*lbf

Front plastic from bumper to oil filter metal skid: 8.0 N*m{ 82 kgf*cm , 71 in.*lbf }