GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexi's Ownership Log

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 05:50 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 594 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Lexi's Ownership Log

Vehicle location history: Kansas (May2017-Nov2018, Texas (Nov2018-Sep2021), Virginia (Sep2021- Present)
Current mileage:57,500'ish
Factory bumper to bumper warranty expired
Powertrain warranty expired

Background of our Purchase Decision:
After 1.5 years of searching (I had a work vehicle at the time so we were not in a rush...) for a replacement to our 2007 4R Limited v6, on 24 Nov 2018 we pulled the trigger on a pampered 2017 GX with 16,671 miles.
We chose the GX460 because we valued the utility and reliability/dependability of the platform, yet wanted more refinement than a 4Runner offers. I wanted a service-proven power train with Crawl Control and KDSS and my wife wanted more interior creature comforts. It was a luxury model ordered with the following factory options by the first owner (The owner of luxury car dealerships in Wichita): Driver Support Package, Rear seat entertainment screens, Sport design package, Glass breakage sensor, F-Sport Wheels, Tow hitch, Paint Protection Film, Color keyed door edge guards, key gloves, cargo net and cargo area privacy cover.

This vehicle is serving as my wife's daily driver and our weekend/ road trip vehicle to explore more of the good ole USA when our busy work schedules permit. We drive it <8k miles a year and no towing duty is planned. We plan to keep the vehicle at least through 2030 and if it looks like it came out of a time capsule, that's fine by us... It's more than capable in stock form for our intended usage so no crazy modifications are planned, rather some personalization items and lot of proactive maintenance and preservation.

Personalization:
-Added 1st and 2nd row Weathertechs & Canvasback in the rear cargo area
-Added 5K LED reverse, undercarriage, courtesy bulbs and
5K LED's through entire interior 5K LED's through entire interior
-Added amber
front and rear turn signals
-Added Smoked
mirror sequential LED turn signals mirror sequential LED turn signals
-Added amber Lamin-X to front fog lights
-Added 1/2" Red reflective 3M tape to interior of all doors
-Added K&N Engine Air Filter
-Added K&N Cabin Air Filter
-Performed secondary air pump mod
-Added Tactilian license plate frame to keep it off the paint in rear
-Added Sly Bracket for front license plate to keep it off bodywork
-Add(ing) Iron-On patches to the 2nd row canvasback liner as we go on road trips
-Replaced GX460 badging with Land Cruiser & Prado badging on the rear barn door and passenger side of dash.
-Added KAON rear door table (for camping, tailgating and telescoping sessions)
-Added Fumoto Drain valve &
swapped swapped
to the Toyota
OEM aluminum filter cap OEM aluminum filter cap
-Added KAON front differential drain plug to facilitate future maintenance
-Attached Driver Side rear inner fender liner with Automotive Goop (to prevent tapping sound at higher speeds)
-Eliminated squeaks in all interior door and trunk panel.
-Remedied some front end noises/ rattles
-2020 Off Road Package full length gas tank skid plate. OEM P/N 77606-60190
-2020 Off Road Package MTS module added
-2020 Off Road Package Transmission cooler added
-2020 rear barn door Lexus emblem, OEM P/N 90975-02164
-Added 2020 Blackline
-Added Timbren Active Offroad Bump Stops, front and rear.

-Added Rad Rubber engine splash guard set
-Added Desert Does It to the front seats. Complete comfort!
-Added Front A/C seat mod: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nted-duct.html . Complete Summer comfort!

Maintenance:
- Engine Oil & Filter changes every 7.5K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first (Amsoil SS or Mobil1 EP)
- Power Steering fluid (7 reservoir extract and refills) every year (Amsoil)
- Lubricate Drive shaft every engine oil change (Mobil1 XHP 322)
- Differential(s) fluid changes every 3 years (Amsoil)
- Brake fluid every 30K miles or 3 years (OEM Fluid, by dealer)
- Transfer Case fluid every 30K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first (OEM fluid)
- Transmission fluid (4 drain and refills) every 4 years (
Toyota WS Toyota WS
)
- Engine Coolant every 40K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first
- Installed Falken Wildpeak AT3s @ 31,910 miles

Detailing:
-Interior dash, and floormats: Aero303 monthly (vacuum monthly)
-Interior leather: Leathurique monthly
-Paint: Ceramic by original owner, Carpro Reset (handwash 3 bucket system),Carpro Elixir spray detailer and Carpro Reload sealant at least monthly.
-Glass, Wheels (including the spare) and painted portion of inner fenders (which face tire): clayed and then Rejex (2 coats) followed by 1 collonite 845 wax application annually.
-Exterior plastic light lenses and tires, door and sunroof seals: Aero 303 (has UV protectant in it) monthly.

-Undercarriage: Remove the skid plates (
fluid filmed fluid filmed
both sides) and reinstalled bolts with anti-seize.
Fluid filmed Fluid filmed
everything (including the frame interior) except brake components, engine and exhaust (fluid film will be applied to undercarriage at least annually before winter months just in case we road trip or head north).
-Exercise all features/equipment semiannually: 4WD actuators (4H to 4L, CDL), CC, adjustable ride height suspension, heating steering wheel etc... if there's an interior button I exercise it at least twice a year.

Warranty Item:
Timing Cover weap repaired by Park Place Lexus 5 March 2020.

Trip Log:
Our 1st significant road trip occurred over July 4th 2019. We drove 1500 miles in 5 days to visit Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Guadalupe National Park, El Paso, White Sands National Monument, Roswell NM and back home...

Lastly, thank you to all the members who have been so welcoming.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 07-02-24 at 08:25 AM. Reason: minor mod update with links
The following 9 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
bbqsoup (12-18-19), DanTeSlagX (10-21-23), FastTurtle (06-06-22), jphowey (08-22-21), MarkVII (12-18-19), nebrou (12-18-19), Philly01 (03-06-20), tntcandy (08-31-23), WRD4chano (12-19-19) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-19, 05:51 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Used Oil Analysis #1

Used Oil Analysis #2

Used Oil Analysis #3. Not my ideal interval for changing at nearly 2 years but only 11K miles. Goes to show if you use any high quality synthetic oil mileage is more important than time in terms of oil protection and functionality. That being said now that our newborn is toddler and we're settle din the house I fully intend on annual oil changes regardless of miles driven.

Last edited by nuclearn8; 08-30-23 at 04:45 PM. Reason: 3rd sample added
Old 12-18-19, 10:26 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Nice. That color combo is awesome! Great maintenance schedule.
I call dibs when you decide to sell. Lol
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (12-18-19)
Old 12-18-19, 06:53 PM
william489
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Of all your changes, I like below the best. In case you have not seen this video, it is assuring you did the right thing,.

-Replaced GX460 badging with Land Cruiser Prado badging on the rear door and passenger side of dash
Old 12-18-19, 07:27 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

What is this mod you completed ??

secondary air pump mod
Old 12-18-19, 07:54 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
What is this mod you completed ??

secondary air pump mod
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/blog/le...d-the-unimod-/
Old 12-18-19, 07:58 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by william489
Of all your changes, I like below the best. In case you have not seen this video, it is assuring you did the right thing,.

https://youtu.be/cJTvq8C4PUY

-Replaced GX460 badging with Land Cruiser Prado badging on the rear door and passenger side of dash
haha... I wish the badging change gave me the cahones to try such a stunt... seems like a lot of clever photography, either way we'll never push the GX close to its limits
Old 12-18-19, 08:20 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks.

I thought the newer GX had some kind of mod already done with the secondary air injection system VS the older model year GX ??

Old 12-19-19, 04:32 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Thanks.

I thought the newer GX had some kind of mod already done with the secondary air injection system VS the older model year GX ??
Not sure on newer models, Lexi is a 2017... there was a TSB issued for older models.
Old 12-19-19, 03:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

It still wouldn't hurt to put the UNI mod on there if you think vehicle will be treading some water. Even with revised cap design I imagine if water got int here still a chance of ingesting the foam.

Thanks.

Old 12-21-19, 02:26 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

>Interior leather: Leathurique monthly

Leathurique? is this the same thing, https://external-content.duckduckgo....gif&f=1&nofb=1

>Aero 303

are you using "303 Automotive Interior and Exterior Protectant", if so how do you apply? spary into micro fiber towel and wipe down everything but the seats?
Old 12-21-19, 03:48 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Originally Posted by WRD4chano

Leathurique? is this the same thing, https://external-content.duckduckgo....gif&f=1&nofb=1

>Aero 303

are you using "303 Automotive Interior and Exterior Protectant", if so how do you apply? spary into micro fiber towel and wipe down everything but the seats?
yes to leathurique... that is it.

Just follow the directions for the 303... I buy mine at academy in the boat/marine section. can also be had on Amazon for same price.
Old 12-21-19, 04:26 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano

>Aero 303

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
yes to leathurique... that is it.

Just follow the directions for the 303... I buy mine at academy in the boat/marine section. can also be had on Amazon for same price.
Using Leatherique on a monthly basis is a bit of overkill and it is unlikely that you're doing it right monthly as it takes the car out of service for a weekend.

I tend to dilute 303 with water 50/50. Although the 303 isn't very shiny to begin with, when diluted, it just disappears entirely but still protects.

I'd also verify that Amsoil meets the required specs. AFAIK, it has never been certified to meet any specs but they (Amsoil) say "it is recommended for"...

If I recommend maple syrup as a substitute for engine oil, then it doesn't make it so.

Oh, and don't put anything on the floormats. Even 303 can make them slightly slippery. Just use soap (or simple green) and rinse very well.

Last edited by cb1111; 12-21-19 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added info on floormats
Old 12-21-19, 04:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

I can't say I have stories that Amsoil has done this but if manufacture claims use of their products caused failure they claim they will fix it.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf

https://www.amsoil.com/about/guarantee.aspx/
Old 12-21-19, 04:53 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

good to hear 303 does not make things shine, dislike that greasy look. also im not gonna use it on the mats , just on the plastic. is it ok to use it on the rubber door seals, or use something else?

Quick Reply: Lexi's Ownership Log