Opinions on GX460s. Looking for new family hauler

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 08:00 AM
xrenjami
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on GX460s. Looking for new family hauler

Hello,

I'd like to hear opinions from GX owners on whether they think its worth my time to consider one as my wife's next vehicle. It would be her daily driver and the typical family road trip vehicle as well. I do occasionally tow a small boat or small u-haul trailer, maybe 5-10 times a year.

I currently have a lincoln MKT which has been "fine." I wish it were more comfortable, had a more practical shape, maybe got better gas mileage on the highway or at the very least had a bigger tank. I can forgive a little bad MPG if the tank is big enough to go more than 300 miles on the highway. I've been shopping around for an MDX or something like that. I love the toyota/lexus reputation for reliability and long term resale value. We've had her current car for over 100,000 miles, so we don't typically trade in cars frequently. While my heart likes the body-on-frame construction and v8, my brain laughs and says "enjoy spending all that extra gas money just to get a worse ride." Also, pretty much zero chance of any off-roading. Just typical Ohio winter driving in/around Columbus.

And before you yell at me for "Go test drive one and make up your own damn mind" - keep in mind that my expectation is to get in for 30 minutes, be super impressed with Lexus comfort and quality, and then make an emotional decision that I regret in the long term.

Family of four that occasionally packs a couple extra grandparents in the car. Annual stereotypical beach trip where you cram as in as possible and always wish you had more room no matter how big the car.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-23-19, 08:39 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

MPG is very very bad. If this will be your daily driver, I would suggest to look at other SUVs. If you have concerns about MPG, you will be disappointed every time you visit a Gas Station to pump gas.
Old 12-23-19, 08:42 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

To be honest, i'm sure you could get away with a smaller crossover or even a station wagon and save yourself lots of money and gas while getting better driving dynamics in the process.

Family of 4 and towing 5-10x a year doesn't really call for a large lumbering SUV, IMO.
Old 12-23-19, 08:46 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
To be honest, i'm sure you could get away with a smaller crossover or even a station wagon and save yourself lots of money and gas while getting better driving dynamics in the process.

Family of 4 and towing 5-10x a year doesn't really call for a large lumbering SUV, IMO.
Exactly my thoughts
Old 12-23-19, 08:50 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

How many in your family ??
Old 12-23-19, 08:58 AM
2010GX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Im in the same boat as XRENJAMI. We currently have a 2010 GX and a 2015 Subaru Outback. With 3 kids, the Outback is all arguments. Need the 3rd row. We have been looking hard at MDX's but there is still some hesitation on the reliability as well as the size. The V6 does speak to us for the better gas mileage than my daily driver GX. This is where we will miss the Subie the most. We are still looking at a newer GX to replace the Subie as well. If I were you I would opt for the GX for the trips and hauling, but not as a daily driver. But no matter what, you will need a roof top box. The GX is short on room for long vacations, if you are using the 3rd row seats, believe me.
Old 12-23-19, 10:03 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I love our GX. Yes MPG are not the best but not the worst. We average about 20MPG which considering size not the worst. We moved from a jeep liberty with a V6 and that didn't have any better MPG. Comfort wise it's amazing, plenty of room and just comfortable to be in. I would say to me the most noticeable I "don't like" is the braking. I'll admit this is more of my own fault because I forgot it's essentially similar to a truck and takes a little getting used to.

We didn't "need" a GX, it will never go off road MPG was something that we weren't trying to get but having a mid size SUV was just a pain from a comfort standpoint.

Personally though from what you are saying a highlander might be a better choice.
Old 12-23-19, 11:00 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 609 Likes on 368 Posts

This is gonna sound dumb but I'd go buy a minivan or unibody suv if I were you...
They do everything you need and are ridiculously practical Sienna, Odyssey, MB Metris is a cool luxury option (if you need a luxury vehicle)

Will a GX do everything you need it to do, no (can't haul 5 or 6 and any luggage, isn't fuel efficient if you drive it like a unibody suv like you're coming from).
Will a used one cost the same as a brand new (mini)van, yes.

Kia telluride and hyundai palisade are 2 other via options for you if a van is an absolute no go.. both will get better mpg than the GX and likely be around the same price, brand new and both have surprisingly nice interiors.
new ford explorer also looks nice in top of the line trim...

Old 12-23-19, 01:14 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
This is gonna sound dumb but I'd go buy a minivan or unibody suv if I were you...
They do everything you need and are ridiculously practical Sienna, Odyssey, MB Metris is a cool luxury option (if you need a luxury vehicle)

Will a GX do everything you need it to do, no (can't haul 5 or 6 and any luggage, isn't fuel efficient if you drive it like a unibody suv like you're coming from).
Will a used one cost the same as a brand new (mini)van, yes.

Kia telluride and hyundai palisade are 2 other via options for you if a van is an absolute no go.. both will get better mpg than the GX and likely be around the same price, brand new and both have surprisingly nice interiors.
new ford explorer also looks nice in top of the line trim...
The Kia Hyundai twins have outstanding reviews and long warranties. While their quality has improved dramatically, their reputation hasn't kept up and resale values suffer - but it is immaterial if you are planning on keeping it. The quality is up to Toyota/Lexus standards and it has all the tech toys. If I needed a proper three row and didn't want a mini-van, then I'd get one of these.
Old 12-23-19, 01:53 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
That car is a piece of garbage..

Originally Posted by cb1111
The Kia Hyundai twins have outstanding reviews and long warranties. While their quality has improved dramatically, their reputation hasn't kept up and resale values suffer - but it is immaterial if you are planning on keeping it. The quality is up to Toyota/Lexus standards and it has all the tech toys. If I needed a proper three row and didn't want a mini-van, then I'd get one of these.
There is no way that quality is up to Toyota standards. It is still a Hyundai/Kia product. The've improved dramatically, but still.

With that being said, I wouldn't consider a GX before it's too old, even if I actually needed an SUV. for... SUV purposes.
Old 12-23-19, 01:59 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

What about the new Highlander Hybrid?
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 04:37 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sound's like the new Honda pilot will be your best option. It has reliability. It can tow good and has all the latest tech with great gas mileage. If you want a gas-guzzler than GX is the way to go . 4Runner can tow but not much room for more than 5. Acura MDX is an outdated interior for the high price tag it's the same interior as a 2014 honda odyssey. 2020 Highlander is a good SUV. The Honda is much affordable for the tech and you wouldn't even get in the Acura even though they are the same brand. Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus are most reliable and can do well over 100K miles without issues as well as market value does not depreciate rapidly. The GX may have an outdated interior but it still has all the features but at the end of the day, you get a prestige looking luxury SUV that compensates for the price tag with high-quality leather and craftsmanship.

Last edited by Zayn; 12-23-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 05:39 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I would not buy a GX as a family hauler with little kids or needing a 3rd row occasionally. It's great for my wife and I and our daughter sometimes, but if I needed a third row, I'd look at a Subaru Ascent or Toyota Highlander or Ford Expedition for towing
Old 12-23-19, 06:10 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by srpuywa
I would not buy a GX as a family hauler with little kids or needing a 3rd row occasionally. It's great for my wife and I and our daughter sometimes, but if I needed a third row, I'd look at a Subaru Ascent or Toyota Highlander or Ford Expedition for towing
I would not even hesitate to go for the Mazda CX-9 over the Ascent. The New higherlander looks nice though.
Old 12-24-19, 04:25 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeyyank
I love our GX. Yes MPG are not the best but not the worst. We average about 20MPG which considering size not the worst.
20 MPG Average ​​​​ ... maybe driving downhill, running 40 PSI tire pressure, air conditioner off with a huge never ending tailwind.

Quick Reply: Opinions on GX460s. Looking for new family hauler