GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

A Subaru Ambassador On A 2020 GX 460 Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 12:22 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=RoadDawg;10689493]I traded a 2017 Subaru Forester for a 2015 GX CPO (Lux). I got rid of ours because of reasons similar to those of the OP. The CVT drivability was an issue, and they are proving to be significant problems. QUOTE]

you must have gotten a lemon, my 17 Forester hasn't had an issue and the 10 year / 100K CVT warranty extension is a peace of mind

Old 12-24-19, 01:39 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasin
Of course it can break. Anything can break. The reason you haven't heard many issues yet is because this is fairly new on newer vehicles. Things tend to break down around years 7+. Maybe this won't matter to you because you buy new cars every 4-5 years, but for the consumer that doesn't buy new cars, this can be an expensive fix.
That's not the point I am trying to make man. Yes everything can break including engine and transmission. Why would you think 1st gen adaptive cruise control is more reliable than 2nd gen ? ..2nd gen cruise control has been on Camry for a while, are you saying now that a Gx is more reliable than a camry? ...please
Old 12-24-19, 02:49 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
That's not the point I am trying to make man. Yes everything can break including engine and transmission. Why would you think 1st gen adaptive cruise control is more reliable than 2nd gen ? ..2nd gen cruise control has been on Camry for a while, are you saying now that a Gx is more reliable than a camry? ...please
Reliability is the entire car as a whole. If you are constantly inconvenienced by problems and repairs, even if you can get from point A to point B, it is not a reliable car. I never compared any specific adaptive cruise controls to any other. All I am saying is that all of these electronic/tech "luxury" gadgets are not necessary and can/will be very costly to repair when they fail. Take, for example, Subaru's Eyesight tech. Did you know that you are supposed to re-calibrate your Subaru's Eyesight tech when/if you ever replace your windshield?? So in addition to paying for an expensive new windshield (must be a Subaru approved windshield), you are now forced to spend another $400+ to have your Eyesight re-calibrated. And guess what? The only way to do this is through a Subaru dealership because they have the specific tool for it. I have also heard of a few Maserati's that were bought back via California's Lemon Law because after multiple attempts, Maserati was unable to figure out a problem with their bluetooth connectivity. As was mentioned previously, the cost to repair this tech is expensive and for older cars that are worth $5-10K, spending $1k-$2k to fix cruise control and other non-essential tech is going to suck. I prefer vehicles with as little tech as possible but as we move forward, it is nearly impossible to find a new car without things like adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, etc.
The following users liked this post:
kgbagent1 (12-26-19)
Old 12-24-19, 02:53 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Yup, but thats the way forward so...same way power steering, electric steering, power windows, etc. As tech matures, parts prices go down.
This is what everyone hopes will happen... but from what I've been reading, this hasn't been the case thus far.... All of the tech that we see are mostly proprietary and that means that you must take it to a dealer to get repaired and that means $$$. And these vehicle manufacturers are not willing to share their tech with aftermarket companies.
Old 12-24-19, 03:14 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Reliability is the entire car as a whole. If you are constantly inconvenienced by problems and repairs, even if you can get from point A to point B, it is not a reliable car. I never compared any specific adaptive cruise controls to any other. All I am saying is that all of these electronic/tech "luxury" gadgets are not necessary and can/will be very costly to repair when they fail. Take, for example, Subaru's Eyesight tech. Did you know that you are supposed to re-calibrate your Subaru's Eyesight tech when/if you ever replace your windshield?? So in addition to paying for an expensive new windshield (must be a Subaru approved windshield), you are now forced to spend another $400+ to have your Eyesight re-calibrated. And guess what? The only way to do this is through a Subaru dealership because they have the specific tool for it.
That what insurance is for ..........duuhhhh

Old 12-24-19, 04:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This is what everyone hopes will happen... but from what I've been reading, this hasn't been the case thus far.... All of the tech that we see are mostly proprietary and that means that you must take it to a dealer to get repaired and that means $$$. And these vehicle manufacturers are not willing to share their tech with aftermarket companies.
We just entered the economy brands offering safety tech as either an option across the lineup, or offering it standard. Give it a decade for the aftermarket to become interested and start listing em on ebay and other 3ps areas
Old 12-24-19, 05:20 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you know that you are supposed to re-calibrate your Subaru's Eyesight tech when/if you ever replace your windshield?? So in addition to paying for an expensive new windshield (must be a Subaru approved windshield), you are now forced to spend another $400+ to have your Eyesight re-calibrated. And guess what? The only way to do this is through a Subaru dealership because they have the specific tool for it.
I had my windshield replaced through Speedlite Autoglass at Bellevue, WA location. They were one of the few places that are authorized by Subaru to re-calibrate Eyesight. I claim it through my insurance but it was still a $500 deductible.
Old 12-24-19, 09:09 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Originally Posted by eNx
I had my windshield replaced through Speedlite Autoglass at Bellevue, WA location. They were one of the few places that are authorized by Subaru to re-calibrate Eyesight. I claim it through my insurance but it was still a $500 deductible.
It all depends what your comprehensive deductible is, our USAA is $250

Old 12-25-19, 09:55 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=srpuywa;10689707]
Originally Posted by RoadDawg
I traded a 2017 Subaru Forester for a 2015 GX CPO (Lux). I got rid of ours because of reasons similar to those of the OP. The CVT drivability was an issue, and they are proving to be significant problems. QUOTE]

you must have gotten a lemon, my 17 Forester hasn't had an issue and the 10 year / 100K CVT warranty extension is a peace of mind
I did not get a lemon. Every problem with the copy I owned was designed and built in, and I take responsibility for failing to research my purchase sufficiently. There is a long history of car makers adding years and years to warranties retroactively for garbage designs in order to tamp down consumer complaints. You NEVER see them add years to warranties for good designs, do you? I learned from my mistake in my way, and I imagine you will learn in yours. Or maybe you'll continue to eat 'em and smile. As they say in the biz, "There's an a** for every seat."
Old 12-25-19, 10:53 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by srpuywa
That what insurance is for ..........duuhhhh
When you sell your Subaru in 5 years or so, or when the car is 10+ years old, do you think the owner will have comprehensive coverage? As other's have mentioned, what if your deductible is $1k or so? What percentage of people out there would you guess have comprehensive auto insurance?? How many times will you have to replace your windshield before your premium increases? My point is that down the line, the cost to repair these tech luxuries will outweigh the value of the car and people will basically stop fixing them. i.e. I have seen plenty of people today that don't replace their TPMS sensors because they cost too much to replace.
Old 12-25-19, 10:54 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by srpuywa
It all depends what your comprehensive deductible is, our USAA is $250
Were you able to see the bill? How much would this have costed you if you didn't have insurance? In my old 4runner, a new windshield was $150 installed, so even with my $500 deductible, it wasn't worth the hassle of filing a claim.
Old 12-25-19, 11:06 AM
srpuywa
Driver

When you sell your Subaru in 5 years or so, or when the car is 10+ years old, do you think the owner will have comprehensive coverage? As other's have mentioned, what if your deductible is $1k or so? What percentage of people out there would you guess have comprehensive auto insurance?? How many times will you have to replace your windshield before your premium increases? My point is that down the line, the cost to repair these tech luxuries will outweigh the value of the car and people will basically stop fixing them. i.e. I have seen plenty of people today that don't replace their TPMS sensors because they cost too much to replace.
I don't know what insurance you have but USAA has never increased my insurance for windshield claims, TPMS sensors are around $50 -100 bucks to replace --- only stupid people wouldn't replace them
Old 12-25-19, 11:15 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Were you able to see the bill? How much would this have costed you if you didn't have insurance? In my old 4runner, a new windshield was $150 installed, so even with my $500 deductible, it wasn't worth the hassle of filing a claim.
Why would I not have insurance (it's mandatory in WA) and sure you can get cheap windshields for old cars - sorry I don't have any vehicle older than a 2017 model.

I don't know what insurance you have but I just call a number and a Safelite guy comes to my house usually the next day. I don't file anything ....
Old 12-25-19, 12:15 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm not sure how this thread got derailed, but the bottom line remains that the more newer tech, the more problems can crop up.

The reason that the GX is the most reliable car out there (as we've just read) is because the tech that is on the car is tried and true and I'd bet that the 2020 will have more complaints than older versions.

That's not to say that there is anything inherently wrong with the new technology. Most of us would like assistive driving aids if they work as well as a good driver would. In a couple of years, it'll be as reliable as ABS, seatbelts or airbags - but in all of those safety systems - the first couple of iterations were a bit flaky.

What Toyota, Honda and most of the other Asian carmakers do is roll out new tech to lower lines first and, as they improve, migrate the tech to upper lines. The Germans do it a bit differently and introduce new tech on the luxury lines first - but they've waited until it is mostly ready and always over-engineered.
The following users liked this post:
RoadDawg (12-26-19)
Old 12-25-19, 01:19 PM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
I'm not sure how this thread got derailed, but the bottom line remains that the more newer tech, the more problems can crop up.
That's not to say that there is anything inherently wrong with the new technology. Most of us would like assistive driving aids if they work as well as a good driver would. In a couple of years, it'll be as reliable as ABS, seatbelts or airbags - but in all of those safety systems - the first couple of iterations were a bit flaky.
Just had to laugh...yeah airbags...very reliable...ask Takata

Sorry, back to your regular programming

Quick Reply: A Subaru Ambassador On A 2020 GX 460 Luxury