GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

A Subaru Ambassador On A 2020 GX 460 Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 12:05 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default A Subaru Ambassador On A 2020 GX 460 Luxury

I've been a Subaru ambassador for the last 3 years and my last 4 cars prior to the GX is as listed: (I've had more cars than listed but were not Subarus)
1997 Subaru SVX: First subaru.
1999 Subaru RS(Ti) Coup: Fully built engine with STi 6 speed tranny. 416whp/406ftlbs
2000 Subaru Forester: Head gasket blew and I sold it as a mechanics special on CL
I owned both cars, above, at the same time and sold it with in a week of each other, to get a bigger car, as this time I now have a dog.
2016 Subaru Cross Trek: Daily driver / Outdoors shenanigans (too old for fast and the furious type car)
Traded the Cross Trek because I wanted more room (I know.. single guy with one dog!!)
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring: Daily / Outdoors.

I want to give you guys my perspective, as now that I've a bit of time on the GX and give you my thoughts, mainly comparing my experience on the Outback vs GX. I know they are not on the same category vehicle and the GX cost $20k+ more than the Outback that why some stuff on the GX makes go WTF?

Subaru Eyesight vs Safety Sense +: (Subaru IMO is way better, especially as a daily driver)
- Adapted Cruise Control: Eyesight is so good and you can set it at any speed. However, the minimum speed it'll set to is 20 MPH. But it will still work on a stop and go situation. Meaning if the car in front of you comes to a full stop, the Outback will come to a full stop (GX disengages at 28 mph). The Outback will also hold the break for 3 or so minutes before CC disengage. So you can literally be in a heavy traffic and never have to press your gas pedal. Just hit resume on the steering wheel. Also adjusting increasing and decreasing the max CC speed, the Outback goes on the increment of 5mph if you're flicking it up or down and if you hold up or down, it'll go by increment of 1mph. The GX is only an increment of 1mph. I ran in to this situation when I was driving in a highway that goes through a small town and you'll have to go from 70 > 55 > 45 > 35 > 25 MPH. As you can see, I can quickly flick down on the Outbacks CC control to transition to that speed. Not so much on the GX. The only thing I think the GX wins on this is when it's really foggy and the Eyesight will actually turn off as it can't see anything but the radar on the GX will still work.

- Rear breaking assist: The Outback as it'll beep if your backing up (similar to the GX) but the Outback will actual apply and slam on the break before you hit anything.
- Pre collision breaking: The Outback save me from rear ending someone because of this and the car slammed on the break and came to a full stop. I don't know how the GX works nor how to test it since there's so many version of Safety Sense.

Infotament Settings and Options: Outback has Apple Carplay / AA.. Lexus GX (WTF bro..it's 2020)
- Climate Control: The GX takes this one because Auto settings actually works and for some reason it knows when the windows starts fogging and I think it kicks in the AC to remove the fog.
- Settings: GX has more options, including smog settings, which the Outback doesn't have.

Interior: GX has this one, as it should because it's $20k more. The Outback is not bad either.
- Styling and quality: Seems like the GX is well put car altogether.
- 3rd row seats if needed: I don't use this much but when my relatives are visting, this helps.
- Cargo Space: Although the Outback feels like has more cargo space, it's a tie for me because the GX has few inch taller and I can fit more taller stuff.
- I/Os: Both has the same amount of USB but the Outback has three 12v outlets and the GX only has one. The GX as a 120v inverter in the cargo area, but I prefer it to be 12v.

Creature Comfort and the little things in life: GX has this one one (again for $20k more)
- Power adjusted steering wheel
- The driver seat and the steering wheel retracts when you turn off the engine so you can get out easily.
- Ventilated seat.
- Height adjustable rear suspension.
- Adjustable ride comfort.
- Lexus app (can lock/unlock/sart the car) w/ $$/year

Driving:
Having been used to the CVT for the past 4 years and transitioning to 6 speed automatic tranny takes a little getting used to. I feel confident taking sharper corners on the Outback as it has lower center of gravity and I'm still not use to the GX and how KDSS kicks in. Since the GX is a body on frame truck, you can feel the bumps a little bit more but the car feels solid. I feel like if I drive the GX on a gravel road, nothing will come loose and fall off.

As for the question: Why I got the GX and left the Outback? I wanted to get something that is a bit more reliable. The Outback had 2 major recalls, in the 2 years I owned it and they extended the CVT warranty because Subaru got their *** sued for it. And this also the reason why didn't get the Ascent. I also have plan, way later down the road to do some overlanding and the GX has more options, roof racks, drawer system and fort. I could've gotten a 4Runner and probably have better vehicle for overlanding, but then I lose the creature comfort and the luxuriousness?

TL,DR: Got a Lexus for reliability and luxuriousness but Outback Eyesight is better and GX no AA/CarPlay WTF bro?

Last edited by eNx; 12-23-19 at 12:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by eNx:
bbqsoup (12-23-19), coolsaber (12-24-19), RoadDawg (12-24-19), signdetres (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 12:06 PM
eNx
Pit Crew

Last edited by eNx; 12-23-19 at 12:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by eNx:
bbqsoup (12-23-19), LVPUNK (12-04-21), signdetres (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 02:09 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

One reason the GX is so reliable is because it doesn't have all of those features that can break. They've had a good 10 years to iron out all the kinks. Looking at the NHTSA website, this car is one of the few with no significant recalls (there was one "incorrect label" recall) and very few legitimate complaints - most about KDSS lean - but nothing safety related.
The following users liked this post:
srpuywa (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 02:21 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
One reason the GX is so reliable is because it doesn't have all of those features that can break. They've had a good 10 years to iron out all the kinks. Looking at the NHTSA website, this car is one of the few with no significant recalls (there was one "incorrect label" recall) and very few legitimate complaints - most about KDSS lean - but nothing safety related.
Lol so you think advanced cruise control and safety system can break? I have yet to hear an issue with adaptive CC has occurred on any car who had it. Reliability is measured on powertrain and emission systems of the car not on infotainment and those safety features

Last edited by nebrou; 12-24-19 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 02:22 PM
bambam2
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my Subarus and have owned a swapped '00 RS coupe and '98 GF8 and now own a very low mileage 04' STi and a '08 WRX along with my '17 Camry and '10 GX. I can certainly agree on reliability. The Subaru scene is full of cars with blown engines and transmissions, some because they were modified wrong or beat on, but many failures even in stock form. It's disappointing because Subaru builds fun cars, I just wish they were more robust and reliable. I just finished swapping in a rebuilt trans in my garage into the '08 WRX after the front diff grenaded.
Old 12-23-19, 02:47 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on the new ride !!!!
Old 12-23-19, 02:55 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
Lol so you think advanced cruise control and safety system can break? I gave yet to hear this has occurred on other cars. Reliability is measured on powertrain and emission systems of the car not on infotainment and those safety features
Consumer Reports (immaterial if you like them or not) and JD Power has rated the Acura RDX poorly BECAUSE of the infotainment and false activation of braking and lane departure. This is actually a very common reason for complaints.

If the only measure of reliability is "will it leave me stranded?" then most new cars will get a good rating. When was the last time you saw a fairly new car on the side of the road?

Owners consider ACC and all of the other nannies reliability issues if they malfunction. Just peruse the complaints on the NHTSA website.
The following 2 users liked this post by cb1111:
coolsaber (12-24-19), hadokenuh (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 04:21 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yes lmfao
we have a subaru fullly loaded from 2015 and it blows lexus away with its eyesight.
nice engine too H6.
whether lexus is more reliable, less problematic, dont know.
both have its fair share of issues.
and im on my 2nd GX 460 so been driving it for 10 years now.
Old 12-23-19, 06:27 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Long time Subaru owner also. I have a 17 Forester that I use on part of my daily commute and we got our daughter a leftover 19 Crosstrek Premium (with eyesight) a couple weeks ago for Christmas.present
My wife has a 17 RDX with only 19k miles on it with absolutely ZERO issues and the V-6 engine
Old 12-24-19, 07:39 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I traded a 2017 Subaru Forester for a 2015 GX CPO (Lux). I got rid of ours because of reasons similar to those of the OP. The CVT drivability was an issue, and they are proving to be significant problems. In response to my mild complaint about oil consumption after 6K miles, the service rep (who was really just an order taker) pulled out a sheet of paper and began drawing me a diagram of cylinder crosshatching, etc. etc. etc., all of which suggested to me that this was an issue for which she had been carefully trained to, um, explain. The truth: Ya takes yer chances with a boxer engine, and you can confirm that with phalanxes of Porsche 911 owners. I was also annoyed by the nanny features on the Forester down to and including the silly radio (Heaven forfend that Howard Stern would be heard by default). Finally, I had to visit the service center and have the software flashed so it would no longer automatically turn off the alternator, the better to save a thimbleful of fuel while depleting the battery and necessitating a jump in a local grocery store parking lot. There was also a CVT issue that resulted in the car lugging in city traffic--I had to "persuade" the service department to apply a patch which sort of fixed this. And of course, there were many service bulletins and so forth, inducing the alarming CVT warranty extension and related admissions.

It took a year and a half for me to finally admit that I completely hated the car although, truth be told, I hated the damned thing from about Day 4 of ownership. I had been happy with previous Subarus--a loaded 2007 Tribeca and a 1995 Legacy. But things change. Companies change. My renewed motto: Research more; trust never.
Old 12-24-19, 08:09 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm with this guy. Manufacturers keep pushing all this tech onto us, making us feel like we need radar cruise, park assist, etc. Do you guys notice how Toyota is always behind in technology? It's because they aren't rushing things onto market that haven't been thoroughly tested for reliability. I believe all of these technologies are making cars more expensive than they need to be and the repairs for this tech down the road are going to be costly to the consumers.
ASE (12-25-19)
Old 12-24-19, 08:12 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Lol so you think advanced cruise control and safety system can break? I gave yet to hear this has occurred on other cars. Reliability is measured on powertrain and emission systems of the car not on infotainment and those safety features
Of course it can break. Anything can break. The reason you haven't heard many issues yet is because this is fairly new on newer vehicles. Things tend to break down around years 7+. Maybe this won't matter to you because you buy new cars every 4-5 years, but for the consumer that doesn't buy new cars, this can be an expensive fix.
Old 12-24-19, 09:19 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasin
Of course it can break. Anything can break. The reason you haven't heard many issues yet is because this is fairly new on newer vehicles. Things tend to break down around years 7+. Maybe this won't matter to you because you buy new cars every 4-5 years, but for the consumer that doesn't buy new cars, this can be an expensive fix.
I have an old '07 Infiniti G35x (V36) that has radar (LIDAR) cruise and an early form of pre-collision. I have read that sensor is no longer available and a sourced used ones are like $4-6K. If this vehicle gets hit in anyway in the front and back it will definitely get totalled by insurance. Fortunately like the 460 it can be bypassed and used like normal cruise. They probably are all like that though.
LA2PDX (12-25-19)
Old 12-24-19, 10:14 AM
eNx
Pit Crew

I haven't pay a lot of attention to Toyota's tech but I could swear that their lower model gets the tech first right? I thought I've seen the Camarys, Corollas and Rav4s has newer techs.. I'm just not sure how behind they are from the rest.

There's also a known quirky issue on the Outback. If you leave the tailgate open, while the engine is off, even when all of the dome lights are off. It still drains the battery. I had this issue arise multiple times, when camping. Good thing I had a small car jumper with me. Does the GX have this issue?
Old 12-24-19, 12:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Yup, thats basically the only solid reason anyone wants the GX. Better options exist for the same money but dont come close to it at least new. However the reality is 1st owner probably isnt in it for the long haul so even then reliability is hard pill to swallow at current rates.

Electronic nannies/safety systems break, just like anything else but due so in a weird way. #1 is probably external damage to the sensor arrays (lexus emblem in this case)
#2 is probably ghost activations.

I'm with this guy. Manufacturers keep pushing all this tech onto us, making us feel like we need radar cruise, park assist, etc. Do you guys notice how Toyota is always behind in technology? It's because they aren't rushing things onto market that haven't been thoroughly tested for reliability. I believe all of these technologies are making cars more expensive than they need to be and the repairs for this tech down the road are going to be costly to the consumers.
Yup, but thats the way forward so...same way power steering, electric steering, power windows, etc. As tech matures, parts prices go down.

Originally Posted by eNx
I haven't pay a lot of attention to Toyota's tech but I could swear that their lower model gets the tech first right? I thought I've seen the Camarys, Corollas and Rav4s has newer techs.. I'm just not sure how behind they are from the rest.

There's also a known quirky issue on the Outback. If you leave the tailgate open, while the engine is off, even when all of the dome lights are off. It still drains the battery. I had this issue arise multiple times, when camping. Good thing I had a small car jumper with me. Does the GX have this issue?
As I have said before the tech in the current GX comes from a very small real world test/sample size. The GX MY20 integrates a new sensor, but brings the old Luxury trim only safety suite down to every single trim standard. Features are lackluster at best, but for those who want it and for sales/marketing team they can own the term "Safety is standard across the lineup".

Eyesight suite is worlds ahead

Not to beat the old drum, Lexus sells two crossover/suv family vehicles at the $50k mark, one has a system thats a true safety innovator with Lexus Safety 2.0, and one has Lexus Safety Suite 0.1 thats out done by even a toyota yaris's Toyota safety sense.

Quick Reply: A Subaru Ambassador On A 2020 GX 460 Luxury