GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

19" OEM Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23 | 04:09 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spectrum1c
it’s not really that simple. Though there are certainly folks who explicitly wanted the 19” rims, many of us have them because it was part of an option pack that included other options we really wanted and for others it was based on what was available locally. I really wish lexus had gone with a more standard size tire. As a compromised, the 255/60/19 i listed above is more of a standard tire size and only slightly larger in height ( actual speed 66 when spedometer reads 65)
... very simple when negotiating for a new vehicle ... no one is a slave to an "options package" ... you have the money ... the dealer does not ... if they want to close the deal, then negotiating 18" wheels is always on the table ... and easy swap-out unlike "embedded options". Until customers push back on things like 19" non-standard wheels ... Lexus will continue to do the same in the future ... and believe that they are the one that is in control.

Last edited by ASE; 06-08-23 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
John00 (06-29-23), MikeP1 (07-31-23)
Old 06-08-23 | 04:52 PM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TXDiver
Looking at reviews for the 265/55 r19 Dunlop AT23 that will be on our 2020 GX. They have a pretty poor rating, especially for hydroplaning. I have searched Discount and Tire Rack and it seems that there are only few alternatives that match OEM. She will not be driving off road much so I don't need an aggressive tread. Has anybody found an alternative that matches the OEM diameter. I want to keep everything stock and not have speedometer and odometer issues.
Michelin Defender LTX is good.
The following users liked this post:
MikeP1 (07-31-23)
Old 06-09-23 | 04:48 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

With 2024 coming there will be a lot more choices in wheel sizes.
Old 06-28-23 | 06:29 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

TL;DR: Are the Michelin Defenders noticeably firmer than the factory Dunlops? I'm hoping to find a firmer tire but not something as firm as an all-terrain tire.

Full story:
I bought a '23 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium and chose the factory upgrade to Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires mostly because the truck is going to be my DD and the roads here look like a third world country in some places.

All of that to say... it has sort of made me hate driving my GX and I think it all comes down to tires. The Duratracs are firm and of course the ride quality isn't as smooth, but the Tacoma feels much less ponderous, much more stable, easier to drive, and less "all over the road" than the GX.

Further complication is that I'm trading my 2021 Luxury for a 2023 Luxury today, and it's made me wonder if I should look at a tire swap sooner rather than later. Ideally, I'd like something a bit firmer with more feedback than the OEM Dunlops, though still softer and more fitting for the GX. I like the 19" wheels a lot and do not want to swap down to the 18"s. Are the Michelins noticeably firmer than the factory Dunlops?
mbdtex (10-11-23)
Old 06-28-23 | 08:15 AM
ASE
Pole Position

The Dunlops are like riding on water balloons ... no directional stability whatsoever ... frustrating and fatiguing just maintaining a straight line. In my direct experience (multiple 4-Runners, FJ Cruiser, GX470, GX460) ... they are truly garbage tires ... even a riding lawn mower deserves better.

Yes, you can have steering response and directional stability without being too firm. Michelin Defender LTX are incredible tires with a 70,000 mile warranty ... made for the GX ... you will be happy with the improvement. Drive directly from new vehicle delivery to Discount Tire ... they typically give $60-odd credit per tire for the Dunlops.

Last edited by ASE; 06-28-23 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-29-23 | 06:15 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ASE
The Dunlops are like riding on water balloons ... no directional stability whatsoever ... frustrating and fatiguing just maintaining a straight line. In my direct experience (multiple 4-Runners, FJ Cruiser, GX470, GX460) ... they are truly garbage tires ... even a riding lawn mower deserves better.

Yes, you can have steering response and directional stability without being too firm. Michelin Defender LTX are incredible tires with a 70,000 mile warranty ... made for the GX ... you will be happy with the improvement. Drive directly from new vehicle delivery to Discount Tire ... they typically give $60-odd credit per tire for the Dunlops.
Thank you! Driving on water balloons made me LOL but you're totally right.

Last edited by geckornr; 06-29-23 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-29-23 | 06:49 AM
ASE
Pole Position

The Shocks and Tires work in unison ... where I have found that when the shocks have muted road surface feedback due to overly soft (Dunlop) tire sidewalls ... the shocks cannot respond to their full potential ... this is a balance between suspension components.

So my point is that the majority of forum posts focus on the tires being THE factor for ride comfort ... which is only one element in the suspension system. The Dunlop tires as a suspension component dumb everything down to where the driving experience is like having an epidural ... total road handling numbness. The Michelin Defender LTX is a great partner to the Lexus shocks where they can optimally perform ... maximizing their ability to take (un-muted) road surface feedback and react accordingly.

Lexus / Toyota clearly has a significant cost motivation using Dunlop tires on the GX470, GX460, 4-Runner, FJ Cruiser and Tacoma models.

Last edited by ASE; 06-29-23 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-30-23 | 10:33 PM
LexusAC2022
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for confirming this. I was a bit worried when I saw the special/closeout online for that tire. Looking to upgrade my Dunlops to the Michelin when the time comes.

Originally Posted by spectrum1c
Just received am email from Tire Rack tire purchaser who was nice enough to contact Michelin for me:"Good morning,

Per Michelin, the Defender LTX M/S in the 265/55R19 size is not going away. The current part number is being discontinued in January, 2024, and it is being replaced with a different part number for that same tire model.

Hope this helps,"
I guess the question still stands though. Will I notice a difference between 265/55/19 vs 255/60/19. The price difference is over $300 for a set of 4 and we've currently having issues with the tires surviving damage from curbs ....
Old 07-31-23 | 06:20 AM
MikeP1
Rookie

At 1700 miles on my wife’s ‘23 GX, I swapped to stock size Michelin Defender LTX. She had been driving a ‘19 GX w 18” Bridgestone Alenza Ultra - a firm, grippy truck tire.

She hated the immediate downgrade she felt in the original tires and told me the prior GX must have had a different suspension based on drive feel.

Upon driving off the tire shop lot, the difference was notable immediately. $1456 OTD (road hazard added to the bill after this figure). Pretty shameful Toyota uses this tire. I wonder if the company execs drive anything with the Dunlops.
mbdtex (10-11-23)
Old 07-31-23 | 07:18 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Toyota/Lexus uses the same Dunlop and Bridgestone tires on all of their Body-on-Frame vehicles ... 4-Runner, GX460, Tacoma, FJ Cruiser (in the past) ... 265 width in 18" and now 19"

They obviously have a volume deal going in the interest of cost savings. Amazing how Michelin Defender LTX tires transform the dynamics ... a testament to Michelin ... and a testament as to how horrible the OEM tires perform. Other than high-end sports cars ... most car makers play this same game ... installing tires that are only good for the duration of a test drive for those that know the difference.
MikeP1 (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23 | 07:51 AM
MikeP1
Rookie

To your point though, Bridgestone offers some quality tires above the entry level crap. Dunlop is what I work to avoid by not eating too often at Popeye’s.
Old 07-31-23 | 08:32 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Agree ... but never have been a fan of Bridgestone since the Ford Exploder situation where they fought to avoid accountability.
Old 07-31-23 | 08:42 AM
MikeP1
Rookie

Fair enough. I’ve had many safe, comfortable miles on their tires over the years. But I recall reading a C&D article about that many years ago that pointed to Ford having some culpability based on recommended psi (was it 23? Why do I seem to remember that?). Bottom line with any company needing to attract investors, the stockholders come first. Oh well. I’m riding with my wife right now, enjoying her new GX with its LTX shoes
Old 07-31-23 | 10:01 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Ford /Bridgestone (Firestone) both played victim ... pointing the finger at the other ... and the fixation was on the "high center of gravity" ... and "tire pressure monitoring" versus calling both out on the tire specs being anemic to that application.
Old 01-09-24 | 10:01 AM
cbt
3rd Gear

Did you wind up getting the Wrangler All Terrains? I am looking for any all-terrain tire and saw the Goodyear was the only one that would potentially fit. Curious to see if you pulled the trigger and how they worked out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 19" OEM Tires