Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking great. I need to order the LED lights
Old 02-04-20, 07:45 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dwh13

Light bar
The light bar is a 32" unit from Amazon (link here) - my original plan was to mount to one of the horizontal hardware pieces behind the grille, but it wouldn't give me quite enough clearance, so I used some black bolts to just attach it to the lower grille mesh. It blends in with the parking sensors and looks clean. I wired it up to this button - there are a different number of wires with all different colors, but the light bar seller was very helpful over email helping me match up the two.

do you have any up close pictures of the mounting brackets?
Old 02-04-20, 08:14 PM
GXOR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great way to incorporate an led light bar. Any tips on which wires match up to the button as well as any thing to be mindful of during an install?
Old 02-05-20, 10:22 AM
hokiehigh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished my rear table in time to go camping at Peter’s Point in Fernandina Beach, Florida. It came out perfectly, and all for about $50 in supplies!
Looks awesome!
The following users liked this post:
dwh13 (02-06-20)
Old 02-05-20, 10:34 AM
Mistaken
Rookie

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool build! Sub'd
dwh13 (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 03:37 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
do you have any up close pictures of the mounting brackets?
I’m down with the flu, so I won’t be venturing outside for a while, but if you zoom in on this picture you can kind of make out what I did. I just used the brackets that came with the light bar and turned them to stick straight out.
Old 02-06-20, 03:39 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GXOR
Looks like a great way to incorporate an led light bar. Any tips on which wires match up to the button as well as any thing to be mindful of during an install?
Here’s what I finally got to work after two days of testing different wire combinations and talking to the supplier:

The following 2 users liked this post by dwh13:
GXOR (02-29-20), leftyguns (02-06-20)
Old 02-08-20, 03:57 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I am planning to buy this camera and install it as well but I am afraid of trimming the grill. Would you share how minimum did you trim it to install the Camera
Old 02-08-20, 04:16 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nebrou
I am planning to buy this camera and install it as well but I am afraid of trimming the grill. Would you share how minimum did you trim it to install the Camera
I just cut a 1” vertical plastic fin. If I removed the camera, you’d never notice the fin wasn’t there.
Old 02-08-20, 04:21 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

I just cut a 1” vertical plastic fin. If I removed the camera, you’d never notice the fin wasn’t there.
Is it possible to take picture of the location where you drilled the fin?
Old 02-08-20, 04:23 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nebrou
Is it possible to take picture of the location where you drilled the fin?
here’s the one I removed:

Old 02-09-20, 05:56 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Are you able to see the front bumper with your front camera mounting location? @hzhao installed his camera one step higher (right below the L emblem). I’m trying to see which placement location is better. Someone on GXOR fabricated a grille mounted light bar which I was considering, but I might just mount the light bar in the lower grille like yours. Which wouldn’t interfere with the camera placement.

Are you considering getting switchpros or an spod in the future? If I add the light bar, camera, and ditch lights the blanks would all be filled. I plan to leave a blank open for the heated steering wheel mod, when it comes to fruition. Only problem is the mounting location. The 4r and Tacoma’s have some suitable mounting locations but I haven’t found a decent spot in the GX.

Old 02-09-20, 06:18 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Are you able to see the front bumper with your front camera mounting location? @hzhao installed his camera one step higher (right below the L emblem). I’m trying to see which placement location is better. Someone on GXOR fabricated a grille mounted light bar which I was considering, but I might just mount the light bar in the lower grille like yours. Which wouldn’t interfere with the camera placement.

Are you considering getting switchpros or an spod in the future? If I add the light bar, camera, and ditch lights the blanks would all be filled. I plan to leave a blank open for the heated steering wheel mod, when it comes to fruition. Only problem is the mounting location. The 4r and Tacoma’s have some suitable mounting locations but I haven’t found a decent spot in the GX.
I can see just a small amount of the front bumper, about the same amount as you can see of the rear bumper from the backup camera. I went with that spot because it didn’t require removing the grille or bumper.

as far as switches, I don’t have plans to add any more, but if I did, I still have one blank left above the CDL, or I could get creative and add some where the air suspension blanks are.
ObsidianBl (02-09-20)
Old 02-09-20, 10:13 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl

I had the same question for camera location. I was thinking to install it like hzhao but if I get better vision below, I would just install like dwh
Old 02-20-20, 10:57 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

here’s the one I removed:

I just got the camera to install for front view. After trimming the fin, did you use drill bit 5/16 to drill whole to install the camera while grill is in its place? how did you manage to do that?

Quick Reply: Starting my 2014 GX build!