Starting my 2014 GX build!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:02 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Good to hear you got things worked out.

I've never really used Mogul mode much before... mostly Mud & Sand. If you turn that on while your foot is on the accelerator you should feel a difference in throttle response.

The following users liked this post:
dwh13 (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 11:41 AM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dwh13
Because I did my homework on static vs. dynamic weight limits and consulted the tent manufacturer.
About to purchase a RTT and am curious how your stock crossbars have held up so far with the RTT?

BTW, your trip this past weekend sounds awesome and stressful all in one. The makings of a great weekend.
Old 07-14-20, 11:55 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
About to purchase a RTT and am curious how your stock crossbars have held up so far with the RTT?

BTW, your trip this past weekend sounds awesome and stressful all in one. The makings of a great weekend.
So far I've had no issues in the ~2k miles I've driven with it mounted.
Old 09-07-20, 07:32 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

New brakes this weekend - I was starting to get a pulsating when braking, so off to the dealer I went with my gift card they sent me after the fuel pump debacle. I was able to get the two front rotors and full set of pads for $300, then got the rear rotors from RockAuto (FYI - I can't believe anyone actually pays dealer prices on brakes!).

Old 02-16-21, 09:56 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Thought I should post that the GX hit her first milestone with me - I'm officially in the 100k club!

Perfect timing too, since we were on our way to the Outer Banks for Valentine's weekend. Unfortunately the weather was too rough to do much beach driving, but I did get a few shots around the islands, including my first vehicle ferry ride. Enjoy!

The following 4 users liked this post by dwh13:
Acrad (02-16-21), GoHuskers (02-16-21), hzhao (02-16-21), Piney1 (02-19-21)
Old 06-23-21, 03:46 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

We're gearing up for our second cross country trip which will take most of the month of July. The GX didn't need much, but I still wanted to update with what I've done so far:

Cleaned the MAF sensor:

Cleaned the throttle body (used info from this thread for both):

New engine air filter while I was in there, as well as a cabin filter for good measure

PS - anyone notice the air filters got significantly thinner? There's an updated part number, and the filter it replaced was about twice as thick with a mesh pad glued to the pleats?

Used my dad's lift for an oil change and driveshaft greasing. Also did a 5 tire rotation while I had easy access to jacks:

(Any guesses what the red and black car is?)

Installed the Treaty Oak Offroad KDSS spacers, front and rear. I didn't see an immediate change, but will drive around on them for a few days and will re-measure.

Installed the GROM VLINE2 system which FINALLY came in from the April (?!) group buy!

Wireless CarPlay is finicky, I need to do some more playing around with the system. So far, it's immediately connected about half the time.

Lastly, my fridge and battery combo came in! Can't wait to break these in on our trip:

Old 06-23-21, 03:47 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Also, here is our trip route, anyone else going to be in the Moab/SW Colorado area in July?

pmesfun (06-24-21)
Old 06-23-21, 04:47 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 120 Posts

@dwh13 Nice post! I'm headed out on a cross-country trip as well this summer, starting from the east coast. I plan to be in CO mid-July, heading down from Wyoming and into New Mexico. There are several light trails I want to check out outside Breckenridge and Salida areas. PM your details and maybe we can meet up for a trail ride.
BTW, the air filter you may want to try next time is Toyota/Denso part#17801-38051. I got it from amazon recently and it has that foam pre-filter ontop.

Safe travels

dwh13 (06-24-21)
Old 10-04-21, 04:30 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Just realized I never posted about our cross country trip. 6,812 miles covered, 26 states crossed, 6 of which I'd never been to before. Here are some of the highlights:

Packed and ready!

Aux Arcs Campground, outside Ozark, AR.

Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness Area in NW New Mexico. Tricky to find, but SO worth the trip!

Windrock, NM

Had to squeegee this thing off at EVERY gas stop

Mesa Verde NP, Colorado

My favorite place on Earth - San Juan Mountains of CO

Ophir Pass

Animas Forks, CO

Crossed off a bucket list destination - Moab!!

Met up with the in-laws in Keystone, SD - hung out in their RV during the day and stayed in the RTT at night.

About 4,000 miles in, her first ever CEL for small evap leak. I assumed it was from forgetting to put the gas cap back on at my last fill up and cleared it.

Last edited by dwh13; 10-04-21 at 04:32 AM. Reason: added photo
MrTorgue (03-22-23)
Old 10-04-21, 04:41 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Since we returned from our trip, I took care of a few maintenance items:
  • Oil change
  • Driveshaft greasing
  • Adjusted barn door latch to stop squeaking over bumps
  • Greased squeaky shifter mechanism
  • Replaced windshield (went with Pilkington, no issues)
The CEL that popped up in South Dakota has reappeared several times. I replaced the gas cap and will see if it comes back.

The bigger issue was that the truck started having bizarre electrical problems. Randomly losing electrical power while driving, taking 1-2 minutes to get power after hitting the Start button, then started not cranking at all and acting as if a battery wasn't even connected. I had it towed to the first shop found nothing wrong and couldn't duplicate the problem, and suggested throwing a new battery in it. I did that, and it stopped responding at all. Towed it to the dealer who diagnosed it as a defective light bar, which gave me two years of trouble free service. No problems since then, but I'm still kicking myself for not thinking to try that first.

Now that she's all sorted again, I decided to re-tint the tail lights, as my previous job was starting to fade and look rough.

Before:

During:

After:

I'm planning on going back and buffing them to shine up the clear coat once they cure a few more days.
MrTorgue (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 07:03 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Looks like a great trip! Curious, how did your RTT hold up? Also, how do you have it attached to your roof?

Old 10-04-21, 07:10 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xychromo
Looks like a great trip! Curious, how did your RTT hold up? Also, how do you have it attached to your roof?
I've had to patch up the cover for the RTT, the corners of the ladder have rubbed holes in a couple of places, but otherwise the tent itself is still solid. I've been using the OEM crossbars without an issue.
Old 10-04-21, 08:10 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

I've had to patch up the cover for the RTT, the corners of the ladder have rubbed holes in a couple of places, but otherwise the tent itself is still solid. I've been using the OEM crossbars without an issue.
wow, only 2 cross bars for tent?

Old 10-04-21, 08:26 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xychromo
wow, only 2 cross bars for tent?
Yep, sturdy as a rock, no issues over the probably 10,000 miles I've driven with it. The tent's weight is below the dynamic limit of the rails, so they're perfectly capable.

Last edited by dwh13; 10-04-21 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-04-21, 08:31 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep, sturdy as a rock, no issues over the probably 10,000 miles I've driven with it. The tent's weight is below the static limit of the rails, so they're perfectly capable.
So you weigh like 65 LBS?
JK.

Quick Reply: Starting my 2014 GX build!