GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014-2015 & 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 10:00 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by whododat
Just dropped my 2015 off yesterday for the recall. Dealership said it would be done by Saturday. In a new RX for now. Nice vehicle.
I enjoyed mine as well for the 2 hours I had it. But I would not give up my GX even for a brand new RX.
Old 06-27-20, 04:31 AM
whododat
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I enjoyed mine as well for the 2 hours I had it. But I would not give up my GX even for a brand new RX.
Same here.
Old 07-04-20, 06:08 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Technical instructions

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V012-7930.pdf

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
HedgeFund (07-04-20), hzhao (07-04-20)
Old 07-04-20, 10:02 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! Good to know. Now I see the technical instructions, it says reuse the Fuel Filter. I would think opportunistic to replace the Fuel Filter while disassembled. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-20, 10:12 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

did quick search and this looks like the part, Fuel Pump Strainer.
https://www.partsgeek.com/spq9y76-le...us+Fuel+Screen

any1 got the part #? i just dropped off my GX yesterday and Lexus going to start Monday morning. If it is a cheap part, i might opt to have it replaced as well. Thoughts?

Old 07-04-20, 11:48 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

If it's a screen vs a paper filter or wherever they are made of it does not make any sense to replace. Only meant to trap large contaminants. Just like what is in the transmission.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-05-20 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 02:59 PM
Veliksam
Rookie

Received 77 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge partially working after pump replacement

Just an fyi, after the fuel pump replacement my fuel level gauge is not functioning properly, i did 200+ miles and the needle didn't even go down past the 1st quarter, luckily i noticed it and refueled in time. I've set an appointment to have them fix it, I'm assuming it's the level sending unit getting stuck on something?

Just keep an eye out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Veliksam:
hzhao (07-09-20), Soap (07-10-20)
Old 07-09-20, 03:50 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Veliksam
Just an fyi, after the fuel pump replacement my fuel level gauge is not functioning properly, i did 200+ miles and the needle didn't even go down past the 1st quarter, luckily i noticed it and refueled in time. I've set an appointment to have them fix it, I'm assuming it's the level sending unit getting stuck on something?

Just keep an eye out.
Thanks for the heads up. I just got mine done with free full tank of gas, will definitely keep eyes on that. Wondering if there is a re-calibration procedure after fuel pump replacement.
Old 07-10-20, 04:18 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was completed on Monday and it was pretty much out of gas when I got it, I need to fill it up and keep an eye on it...
Old 07-10-20, 06:20 AM
Veliksam
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
Thanks for the heads up. I just got mine done with free full tank of gas, will definitely keep eyes on that. Wondering if there is a re-calibration procedure after fuel pump replacement.
Originally Posted by Soap
Mine was completed on Monday and it was pretty much out of gas when I got it, I need to fill it up and keep an eye on it...
When i picked mine up it had a full tank. Anyways, i filled mine up a few days ago and I've done about 200 miles now, take a look at my gauge! Lol reminds me of the time i had a Prius in my fleet

Old 07-10-20, 07:45 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Veliksam
When i picked mine up it had a full tank. Anyways, i filled mine up a few days ago and I've done about 200 miles now, take a look at my gauge! Lol reminds me of the time i had a Prius in my fleet

Maybe that was the real reasoning for the recall, because the old pump had the leak Just kidding Will be interesting to know how Dealer said when you get back.....
Old 07-10-20, 08:03 AM
Veliksam
Rookie

I will let you guys know for sure
Old 07-10-20, 09:38 AM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, always pays to keep an eye on this forum. Just received my recall letter yesterday and called the dealer this morning to get it fixed. Said the part lead times are unknown right now so they'd call and schedule when it arrives. Jumped on here and read that we can request a rental; I would have never known that. Currently waiting for a manager to call back to set that up.
Old 07-14-20, 03:10 AM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Word of warning to anyone who hasn't had this done yet - if possible, request a technician who has performed a few of these already. Mine got botched and left me stranded.

EDIT: just talked with the service manager at the original dealer, who is reimbursing my towing and assured me that the technician who messed up the install was a 16 year veteran. So just a goof up I suppose.

Here's the story I just posed in my build thread:

On Tuesday (that's 6 days ago), Hendrick Lexus of Charleston replaced my fuel pump as part of the recall. After 0 issues over 500 miles of really intense driving, we were on our way home and when going up hills on the interstate, I noticed the GX started to shudder and I couldn't get it to downshift to keep up with traffic. It was subtle at first, but after about 2 minutes, it was shuddering pretty hard, and I was losing speed quickly. Classic signs of a bad fuel pump, but I also was running uphill at 80 mph in 95 degree weather with a fully loaded car with a RTT on top, so I thought maybe the transmission could be overheating? Not the most logical choice, but that's what came to me during a mild panic. It was time to get gas so I pulled off at the next exit to fill up and let things cool off.

While I'm filling up, I got out my Toytec II scan tool, but didn't get any codes and nothing seemed off. Transmission temperatures were within spec so no issues there. At this point, we were in the middle of nowhere, about halfway between Greenville and Columbia, so I was hoping to at least limp it closer to Columbia where help would be more accessible. Went to restart the car, and...nothing. Engine would turn over but not crank. The car was full of camping gear, but I did my best to listen for the fuel pump to prime when accessory was on, but I couldn't hear anything. Tried swapping relays without success. So I knew it was time and called AAA. Being in the middle of nowhere meant that a tow to the nearest Lexus dealer was close to $200, plus AAA stated we would not be allowed to ride with the tow truck driver due to COVID. We spent an hour trying to find a Lyft or rental car without success. Once the driver got there, he did allow us to mask up and ride with him. Very grateful for that.

Here's where I have to give a shout out - Jim Hudson Lexus of Columbia was by far the best service experience I've ever had. I showed up with a tow-in, obviously without an appointment. My service advisor immediately recognized the issue (said this has happened a few times) and called my dealer that performed the recall, said he would get my car in right away, and that I would have an update in an hour. Turns out, the update was that the fuel pump o-ring was not installed properly by Hendrick, and after about two hours, I had my GX back (even hand-washed, since the RTT wouldn't fit through the automatic wash). I was never handed a bill, and was given instructions on how to get my towing reimbursed by Lexus. I fully expected to either be renting a car or spending the night in Columbia and to have to fight to get the work covered - I've never showed up to an unknown dealer and had a large issue (they had to drop my completely full tank) and been taken care of so fast or so well. So big thanks to them for getting me home in one piece!

Last edited by dwh13; 07-14-20 at 08:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dwh13:
bbqsoup (07-14-20), HedgeFund (08-02-20), Lavrishevo (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 04:55 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I will keep an eye on mine, but so far I have had no issues with mine since having the recall performed and I have put a few hundred miles on it now.

Quick Reply: 2014-2015 & 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Recall