GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

First post -- new GX owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 06:10 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default First post -- new GX owner

First post here of a new owner of 2015 GX460 Lux.

I'd like to thank the forum for providing incredible amount of context for my pre-purchase research of the make and model. A few words about myself. I've always loved cars and working on cars. Since college I've prided myself on doing my own maintenance and repairs on my vehicles. For a long time a was (still am I suppose) a BMW fan. I've had 3! 3-series up to now (e30/e46/e90) and neither ever saw the dealer service bay. The e90 is still my daily. I would hae stayed with the pattern, but the sad thing is the quality of the components being going downhill with each model change, and the last two strikes were the direct injection and manual tranny deprecation. So no more 3-series for me. With that I came to a realisation that I wanted something of a dinosaur for a change. I wanted V8, I wanted old school body on frame, I wanted port injection and something I could service in my garage. I wanted three rows, as somwhere along the road my family no longer fits in two. And that how I came into this fine (all options but the driver support) 2015 Lux. It's everything BMW is not. And I love driving them both back to back.

Phillip

Last edited by PhillipT; 02-10-20 at 06:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PhillipT:
Acrad (02-10-20), GB2011GX (02-25-20), hadokenuh (02-12-20)
Old 02-10-20, 06:20 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Only had my truck for a week. Here is what I've done to it so far.
  • Greased the driveshaft with Valvoline red (multivehicle) grease. That went fairly easy with the newly purchased LockAndLube grease gun.
    Amazon Amazon
    . I do recommend the gun and the LockNLube contraption. Made greasing one hand effortless. Where I was not so confident was the amount required to fill the slip yokes. I pumped 4-6 times into each slip joint and decided to let it be. I figured the grease will get to where it is supposed to go by centrifugal force. Overfilling and straining the shaft with hydrolock was to me an unnecessary risk. If you have good tips/argument to the opposite fell free to voice them.
  • Dropped the pan and changed ATF fluid with Valvoline MaxLife. Changed the strainer/filter while I was there. I love the simplicity and the ease of access of the truck already. Here is where the forum helped again, for which I am very grateful. I've installed OBDFusion on my phone and with the Toyota pack could see the atf temps. Will follow up shortly with 2nd change, but without dropping the pan this time.

Last edited by PhillipT; 02-10-20 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 06:27 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Things planned but not performed yet
  • Diff/TC/Front diff change with assorted Redline oils (always had good luck with Redline).
  • Secondary injection mod with UF107
  • Second ATF drain/fill with Valvoline MaxLife (love my Walmart auto section)
On the ATF question. The color of the tranny fluid was light brownish after 65K miles. No particles, clean magnets/ clean pan. I figure "lifetime fill" means the warranty duration. I keep my vehicles way longer than that. So for me it will be 30K interval on drain/fill. 60 for the diffs/tc. Not decided on the engine oil OCI yet. first one will come at 5K. Subsequent one's I'll probably go longer by Blackstone analysis. Anyone here extends theirs till 10K?

Last edited by PhillipT; 02-10-20 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 07:27 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillipT
Not decided on the engine oil OCI yet. first one will come at 5K. Subsequent one's I'll probably go longer by Blackstone analysis. Anyone here extends theirs till 10K?
Welcome to the forum
It's been pointed out to me (because I like to change my fluids more periodically than the manual requires) the manual recommends 10K Engine OCIs, so you should be fine doing it at that interval or sooner should you so desire.

I'm curious why you selected Valvoline over the OEM tranny fluid? just personal preference?
Old 02-10-20, 07:57 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Valvoline vs OEM. This is a PERSONAL preference. Here is how I rationalize it. Toyota does not make neither tranny, not fluid for it. So there is nothing proprietary, no secret sause in either. Valvoline MaxLife is WS rated which is what the manufacturer of the tranny (Aisin) required (WS stamped on the fill plug, check it out). Besides being highly thought of on BITOG, It is also extremely convenient and price efficient for me. Local Walmart has it for 17$ gallon and I use it for both this and wife's minivan. If you maintain multiple vehicles you might as well settle on common fluids. Same goes for engine oil, I plan to use the same Idemitsu 0W-20 in either vehicle...

As to oil change the dealer has changed it before the sale, but I have no idea what was used. So 5K later Idemitsu 0W-20 would go in (5K should be good with any oil, mineral or synthetic). After that I'll probably test it 10K later and decide if I like the results. Expect to see the UOA here, but it'll be a year with me switching between cars for commute....
The following 3 users liked this post by PhillipT:
hadokenuh (02-10-20), ltsr (02-10-20), nuclearn8 (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 03:26 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

PICS!!! please
GB2011GX (02-25-20)
Old 02-11-20, 07:14 PM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chaos236
PICS!!! please

Old 02-11-20, 07:19 PM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Tranny shifts better with the fluid change. I think the p.o. had the level set incorrectly. The tranny pan had no gasket, wtf? Do they come that way fro the factory?

secondary injection mod complete. In all fariness it was not necessary with the foam looking new. Oh well...
Old 02-11-20, 07:35 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

How many drain and fills did you complete or did you just drop the pan and refill with Valvoline ??

Old 02-11-20, 07:42 PM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
How many drain and fills did you complete or did you just drop the pan and refill with Valvoline ??
only one so far, about 4.5-5 qt.... with pan drop and filter change... will do another this weekend, with diffs and tc.

i dont think the drain and fill would account for the shift improvement... its either the fluid or the level....or placebo, thats been known to happen
Old 02-11-20, 07:46 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Anything is better than WS

Valvoline is a recommended fluid for WS applications.
Old 02-11-20, 08:26 PM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
Anything is better than WS

Valvoline is a recommended fluid for WS applications.
My subjective experience strongly agrees. The more i drive the truck, the more i like it. The milage came as a nice surprise too. Did not expect 18.5 on average weekly commute....with the computer’s estimate optimistic by .3 mpg... pretty great, considering the old tech, no direct injection, 20 speed tranny, etc. I wanted it that way, was prepared to pay at the pump, and it is actually turned out not that bad at all...
Old 02-12-20, 06:05 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

18.53 mpg on the second full to empty tank. This experience just keep getting better. Decades ago I owned another "tank", Vovlo 240DL, that averaged 22. With I think 2.3L 4 cylinder and a 4sp manual that could barely got out of it's own way...
Old 02-16-20, 10:56 AM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Did second atf drain and fill. Same for TC and rear diff. Rear diff fluid looked the worst, cloudy dark brown. Not sure what the oe fluid looks like when new, the redline that went in was reddish brown and transparent. Good for another 60k i would think. The tranny will get 30k drain and fill from now on.
GB2011GX (02-25-20)
Old 02-24-20, 05:28 PM
PhillipT
Driver School Candidate

Finally got around to front diff. Surprisingly it looked not nearly as spent as the rear fluid. Judging by that subjective criterion, I'll be doing the front diff fluid changes at 60K intervals, and the rear diff/tranny at 30K. Not sure about TC, I'd probably go with 60K on that just as well. Anybody knows why the front is easier on oil than the rear? What is the front/rear power distribution in these models?

Quick Reply: First post -- new GX owner