GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Nokian WR G4 SUV Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 07:39 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Nokian WR G4 SUV Tires

Anyone running these Nokian tires on the GX ?

Wife is running a dedicated winter tire on her GX and I would like something more all-weather vs having 8 tires in the basement over the winter.

Want something that also carries the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake.

Thanks !!
Old 02-11-20, 07:46 PM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

A thread on the G3 here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...xperience.html
Old 02-12-20, 05:38 AM
natehack
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan

Wife is running a dedicated winter tire on her GX and I would like something more all-weather vs having 8 tires in the basement over the winter.

Thanks !!
We probably will be in a few weeks! These seem great for a non-North Shore Minnesota climate. I like the idea (and the price at Discount Tire) of the tire and we ran the previous version on our van with good results.

The only thing holding me back from a set of these is the unknown of how they age on a heavier vehicle and the possibility they wouldn’t be as good for fuel economy as a Defender LTX. I know I know, talking about MPG and a GX is a bit silly, but it matters to us.

Decision time for tires will be at the most 3 weeks away, so if we do go with a set of WRG4 Nokians, I will reply back with some thoughts!

The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 06:04 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Nokian makes an AT tire with the winter rating along with Yokohama.

I'm a Michelin guy, but like I said, I don't want another 4 tires in the basement. Would be different if they were for 14" rims, but these are huge tires.

Old 02-12-20, 06:56 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Just bought a set of Nokian studded tires for the GX but haven't had a chance to try it out under real winter conditions. If you live in the Midwest I'm not sure if it is a good idea to try to run on the same tires all year long. Last time when the snow / ice hit us people wrecked their 4/all-wheel drive cars by sliding downhill uncontrollably (including a friend of ours). But its your truck and wife.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 02-12-20 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 02:41 PM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan

Thanks !!
Most of the other tires that can be run all year long and are going to be 3-Peak rated are All Terrain tires. However, I wanted to answer your question and get you the information. A few other options would be the Falken AT/3W - Yokohama A/T G015 - BFG K02 -Cooper AT3. There are a few others, but nothing that would give you the on road performance while gaining winter capability like the Nokian would.

Old 02-12-20, 03:07 PM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I run the Rotiiva's. They've been great tires so far had them on since November. I live up by Vail so no shortage of running them through insane winter conditions. Switched form the Defenders on there and night and day difference in winter conditions. No change in anything and I'd say actually ride better than the defenders we took off.
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-seas...an-rotiiva-at/
Old 03-27-20, 05:25 PM
natehack
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Could not stomach the $1k bill for Defender LTX. Got the Nokian WR G4 in 265/70/17 on our Six Shooters.

Since we have put around 1k miles on these I thought I would share some thoughts.
- Quiet. Very quiet compared with our 4 year old Cooper M/S tires these replaced. I would say equally quiet compared with the stock sized Goodyear SRA we had previously on the truck.
- Comfortable. Along with being easy on the ears, these tires are easy on the truck. Goes down the road very nicely. Made the love come back for LilLandy.
- ‘All Weather’ 3 peak performance with a 60k mile warranty.
- Capable. If we lived in the mountains or desert, I would buy a more aggressive tire. I am in Minnesota where the mountains are flat, but the potholes deep. I can’t imagine going somewhere with this rig where a more aggressive tire would be necessary. We got pretty deep into the boonies on stock SRAs. These Nokians will take us where we want to go by vehicle.
- Price. Neisen Tire Sales and Service had me in and out in less than an hour for a total of $630 out the door. Ordered on a Thursday, tires in Friday, installed Saturday. No tpms rebuild, but still cannot beat that. Solid guy, Mitch, I will give him my business again.
- Looks. Some might think they are not aggressive looking enough, I don’t think they look all that bad.
- I don’t like the non-directional tread pattern. There is an outside and inside marking, but the tread is opposite compared left to right on the truck. Just bothers my light OCD.

So, we are pleased. Pleased enough that we will look at the equivalent Nokian tire idea for our runabout Accord when the time comes. Seems to be a great idea for the drivers who do not want two dedicated sets of wheels and tires. Have not had them in snow, but with all the siping and bonkers channeling going on, these will rock snow and ice.

Probably will upload some pics for reference when day comes again!
Old 03-27-20, 07:26 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Thanks for the review !!

My loved her Michelin X-Ice this winter and got them off this week.