GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

17gx has ~2cm lean to the passenger side after 2" lift kit install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 10:13 AM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 17gx has ~2cm lean to the passenger side after 2" lift kit install

just noticed a ~2cm lean recently after the 2" lift kit install. is it caused by the lift kit? i did a quick search, and found this was not uncommon even for stock suspension. i am not quite sure whether it was leaning already for stock... at least i am not aware. any suggest to fix? will dealer fix it if i've been using after market suspension (by adjusting the KDSS)?

Last edited by Phonemodem; 02-24-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-24-20, 11:00 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

2mm is 1/12 of an inch (25.4mm in an inch)... are you sure the ground is perfectly level (most isn't for drainage purposes), 2mm is so small of a difference...

Dealer won't touch it with aftermarket suspension. Review the TSB perhaps that may help out...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10379265
Old 02-24-20, 11:02 AM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
2mm is 1/12 of an inch (25.4mm in an inch)... are you sure the ground is perfectly level (most isn't for drainage purposes), 2mm is so small of a difference...

Dealer won't touch it with aftermarket suspension. Review the TSB perhaps that may help out...
I mean 2cm.... 3/4 of an inch....
Old 02-24-20, 01:13 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

try to relax the kdss system (unless you did this when installing the suspension) per the procedure

this video outlines it around minute 2-4:

dealer isn't going to touch it with the aftermarket suspension on there.
The following users liked this post:
OllieGX (07-06-21)
Old 02-24-20, 04:10 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
try to relax the kdss system (unless you did this when installing the suspension) per the procedure

this video outlines it around minute 2-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

dealer isn't going to touch it with the aftermarket suspension on there.
I second this - I just followed these instructions when I put my lift in this past weekend and came out with zero lean.
Old 03-17-20, 03:24 PM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Update...

finally Got some free time (probably another 3weeks due to the virus lol) and it is not raining...

and fix the lean issue.

below is the summary

Method 1 (suggested by lift kit seller) Open valve, vigorously rock the truck, close the valve. Doesn’t work. Maybe not vigorous enough.

method 2, follow a YouTube video from a Mideast guy. Basically open the valve, lift the lower side(passenger side on my case), to keep the rear tire a hair above the ground, close the valve. It works.

method 3. A video from ausie guru. Open valve, back up onto a 3” block(taller rear side), close valve. Didn’t try. No comment. I am not sure if it is safe to turn on the car w/ kdss valve open?

will test drive for a week or two. Hopefully it works. If not, I may lift the passenger side higher and see how it works.

Last edited by Phonemodem; 03-17-20 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Update content
Old 03-17-20, 03:37 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

If your issue is not KDSS related ...

Not in any way suggesting the same applies to the GX460 ... the FJ Cruiser (that does not have KDSS) uses different rate springs on the Driver side and Passenger side of the vehicle to address lean. Many who have installed a lift kit (using identical rate springs on both sides) are perplexed by the resulting lean, only to learn that the OEM spring rates are different by design. The only visual identifier that the spring rates are different side-to-side are colored paint stripes on the coil to differentiate given the spring lengths are exactly the same.

Does anyone know if this is possibly the case on the GX460 ?
Old 03-17-20, 04:03 PM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
If your issue is not KDSS related ...

Not in any way suggesting the same applies to the GX460 ... the FJ Cruiser (that does not have KDSS) uses different rate springs on the Driver side and Passenger side of the vehicle to address lean. Many who have installed a lift kit (using identical rate springs on both sides) are perplexed by the resulting lean, only to learn that the OEM spring rates are different by design. The only visual identifier that the spring rates are different side-to-side are colored paint stripes on the coil to differentiate given the spring lengths are exactly the same.

Does anyone know if this is possibly the case on the GX460 ?
i use dobs and rear two springs are different height(5mm in difference? Can’t remember). Rating seems to be the same.
Old 03-17-20, 04:48 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Easy way to find out is if the oem front coil part numbers are the same... if they're not the same, they're likely different rates to compensate for the battery, driver and gas tank all being on the left side which makes sense when you consider most people with aftermarket kits put in the rear spacer to address address the lean since the front coils are the same on most aftermarket kits I've seen.
The lean TSB I think lists different part numbers for left and right side if I recall correctly.
Old 03-18-20, 12:19 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

... this is an argument to install coil-over shocks where the spring perch can be adjusted to dial-in ride height. I have always been a Bilstein man, but may go with Fox Shocks next time on my FJ Cruiser and 4-Runner for this very reason.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 04:55 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Phonemodem
just noticed a ~2cm lean recently after the 2" lift kit install. is it caused by the lift kit? i did a quick search, and found this was not uncommon even for stock suspension. i am not quite sure whether it was leaning already for stock... at least i am not aware. any suggest to fix? will dealer fix it if i've been using after market suspension (by adjusting the KDSS)?
Did you make adjustments to the KDSS during the install? Is it possible to install the lift kit without messing with the KDSS?
Old 03-18-20, 05:25 PM
Phonemodem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chasin
Did you make adjustments to the KDSS during the install? Is it possible to install the lift kit without messing with the KDSS?
i was not at the shop during installation. So no they didn’t do anything for kdss after I check with them later. And that’s where the leaning comes from.