GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Improve the ride on my 2019 GX

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 06:02 AM
flyatiger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improve the ride on my 2019 GX

Long time reader of ClubLexus, thanks for the great forum.

I have owned my 2004 GX470 since new and of course I love it, it's a great truck.

With that in mind I bought a 2019 premium. I have to admit that I am not happy with the ride it's very harsh and it hops over every little bump or road imperfection. I tried lowering the tire pressure all the down to below 30, might have helped a very little.

I need your help! Can anyone offer suggestions, wheels, tires, shocks? Or do I have to part it out?! 😁

I want to keep it as close to stock looking as possible and anything that I do to it has to provide a noticeable difference in the feel of the ride.

I am going to try swapping my 2004 wheels (17") and tires (Michelin Defender LTX) to the new truck and see if that will improve the ride. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 03-07-20, 08:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

You might have to look into different shocks and/or softer springs on the rear. That would likely affect load capabilities though but I think you could supplement with those aftermarket bags that fit inside the springs. Suspension, wheels, tires are a weak area for me.
Old 03-07-20, 05:23 PM
flyatiger
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your thoughts on this.. I’d like to start with the easiest things first. Maybe test the tires and wheels first and hope for enough improvement if not look into shocks and springs.

Thanks again..

Originally Posted by Acrad
You might have to look into different shocks and/or softer springs on the rear. That would likely affect load capabilities though but I think you could supplement with those aftermarket bags that fit inside the springs. Suspension, wheels, tires are a weak area for me.
Old 03-08-20, 09:24 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

@tuandino found a permanent fix for this same issue with his premium; however, you might not like his method. I think It's best for him to explain it in details.
Old 03-08-20, 10:56 AM
flyatiger
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up.. I look forward to hearing more about this. Standing by..

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
@tuandino found a permanent fix for this same issue with his premium; however, you might not like his method. I think It's best for him to explain it in details.
Old 03-09-20, 05:30 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by flyatiger
Long time reader of ClubLexus, thanks for the great forum.

I have owned my 2004 GX470 since new and of course I love it, it's a great truck.

With that in mind I bought a 2019 premium. I have to admit that I am not happy with the ride it's very harsh and it hops over every little bump or road imperfection. I tried lowering the tire pressure all the down to below 30, might have helped a very little.

I need your help! Can anyone offer suggestions, wheels, tires, shocks? Or do I have to part it out?! 😁

I want to keep it as close to stock looking as possible and anything that I do to it has to provide a noticeable difference in the feel of the ride.

I am going to try swapping my 2004 wheels (17") and tires (Michelin Defender LTX) to the new truck and see if that will improve the ride. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
I had a 2008 Lexus GX470 ... and I absolutely HATED the suspension ... comfort or sport mode, no matter ... driver was totally detached from any level of being connected to the road. Some call this comfortable. Others (like me) call this dangerous. My fix was to install Bilstein 5100 shocks that some have described as harsh ... but for me significantly improved body roll and steering response while providing a smooth and controlled level of road feel. I even installed E-rated tires ... and my wife loved the improvement.

The tire swap you described will not yield any meaningful level of improvement. IMHO more sidewall will only make your steering that much more vague.

The GX460 is a truck platform. I am actually glad that Lexus choose to not "dumb down" the GX460 suspension as much as the GX470 suspension ... but back then they were competing with the Ford Explorer (on ride comfort) ... and we all know how that story played out. So airing down your tires in the interest of comfort is clearly not a winning strategy.

Not what you wanted to hear, but an honest answer. Now a sincere question ... why didn't you purchase an RX or other non-truck based SUV if comfort is so high on your priority list ?

Last edited by ASE; 03-09-20 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 05:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Old 03-09-20, 07:49 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

The only thing I can think of is to run a slightly larger size, like 265-65/18, but other than that I wouldn't mess with the suspension at all.

I agree with the OP that the GX could have been made slightly less "stiff" for the rear passengers. Probably the Luxury version with the airbags is what it's intended for.
Old 03-09-20, 09:05 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
The only thing I can think of is to run a slightly larger size, like 265-65/18, but other than that I wouldn't mess with the suspension at all.

I agree with the OP that the GX could have been made slightly less "stiff" for the rear passengers. Probably the Luxury version with the airbags is what it's intended for.

I switched from the stock 265/60-18 tires to 265/65-18 tires (1-inch taller in diameter) to better fill out the wheel wells. Absolutely no measurable difference in ride.
Old 03-10-20, 09:16 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE

I switched from the stock 265/60-18 tires to 265/65-18 tires (1-inch taller in diameter) to better fill out the wheel wells. Absolutely no measurable difference in ride.
Same tire brand & model and same air pressure?
Old 03-10-20, 09:29 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Same tire brand & model and same air pressure?
Yes ... all the same. Going from LTX tires to P-metric tires might provide a slight improvement while going one-up on the aspect ratio as you suggest, but it really sounds like the OP does not like the ride characteristics of the GX460 ... not something tires will dramatically change.

I totally understand the OP's comparison to the GX470 that was suspended like a marshmallow ... an accident waiting to happen IMHO if having to exercise an emergency maneuver.

Last edited by ASE; 03-10-20 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (03-11-20)
Old 03-10-20, 12:20 PM
mena661
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if this post will help any but I recently had my suspension (shocks/springs and upper control arms) and wheels/tires (LT275/70R-17 Load C) replaced. Now my reasons for doing this was for higher ground clearance/better suited to off-roading but the side benefit was vastly improved ride and handling. There's a LOT less brake dive. The rear end is well controlled now but not harsh at all. MUCH better than stock which felt like it was hitting the bumpstops. The floaty ride is gone completely but, again, not harsh. In fact, more comfortable than stock.
Old 03-10-20, 12:46 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mena661
I don't know if this post will help any but I recently had my suspension (shocks/springs and upper control arms) and wheels/tires (LT275/70R-17 Load C) replaced. Now my reasons for doing this was for higher ground clearance/better suited to off-roading but the side benefit was vastly improved ride and handling. There's a LOT less brake dive. The rear end is well controlled now but not harsh at all. MUCH better than stock which felt like it was hitting the bumpstops. The floaty ride is gone completely but, again, not harsh. In fact, more comfortable than stock.
Details on suspension modifications?

IMHO shocks are the most influential component to the improvement(s) you describe above. Yes, everything contributes ... but the shocks are paramount ... which is where Lexus completely misses the mark. A good quality set of shocks alone can completely transform a vehicle in my experience.
Old 03-10-20, 01:35 PM
mena661
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Details on suspension modifications?

IMHO shocks are the most influential component to the improvement(s) you describe above. Yes, everything contributes ... but the shocks are paramount ... which is where Lexus completely misses the mark. A good quality set of shocks alone can completely transform a vehicle in my experience.
Dobinson GX Twin Tube Shocks (Comfort rear shocks) with Dobinson 2.5" Front and 1.5" Rear Springs
SPC UCA's

Got everything from Treaty Oak Offroad.
Old 05-27-22, 07:44 AM
Mmarkel
4th Gear

would love to hear more about fixing the harsh ride on my Lexus Gx

Originally Posted by ASE
I had a 2008 Lexus GX470 ... and I absolutely HATED the suspension ... comfort or sport mode, no matter ... driver was totally detached from any level of being connected to the road. Some call this comfortable. Others (like me) call this dangerous. My fix was to install Bilstein 5100 shocks that some have described as harsh ... but for me significantly improved body roll and steering response while providing a smooth and controlled level of road feel. I even installed E-rated tires ... and my wife loved the improvement.

The tire swap you described will not yield any meaningful level of improvement. IMHO more sidewall will only make your steering that much more vague.

The GX460 is a truck platform. I am actually glad that Lexus choose to not "dumb down" the GX460 suspension as much as the GX470 suspension ... but back then they were competing with the Ford Explorer (on ride comfort) ... and we all know how that story played out. So airing down your tires in the interest of comfort is clearly not a winning strategy.

Not what you wanted to hear, but an honest answer. Now a sincere question ... why didn't you purchase an RX or other non-truck based SUV if comfort is so high on your priority list ?

Quick Reply: Improve the ride on my 2019 GX