GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sad day for my lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 03:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

I do recall 115 MPH. There is a thread here where someone asked how to bypass this awhile back.

Edit: I thought I saw 115 but found the thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eed-limit.html

Last edited by tecman; 03-08-20 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-08-20)
Old 03-08-20, 06:22 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zayn
Airbags were not deployed. I also have full coverage on the car, but I honestly hope the car can just be fixed. I don't want to go threw the total process. I really loved this car. I spent a lot of labor hours on this car. I installed a dashcam, and it shows the whole scene of the driver falling asleep, so that's why I won't take action against the driver and one of the reasons I have the full coverage for unfortunate events like this. Honestly, the car is very strong considering its weight and shape.
You may want to rethink this as somebody's insurance is going to go up significantly for several years.

If your friend's insurance assumes responsibility, then their insurance will increase and you may be able to get diminished value.

If your insurance company assumes responsibility, then your premiums will increase, you'll pay your deductible and you won't get diminished value. All told, having your insurance pay will most likely cost you a minimum of $15k (diminished value is probably $10-12k). If their insurance pays, then they'll be out their deductible and the premium increases (probably $5k).

Clearly your decision but you need to weigh the consequences.
Old 03-08-20, 08:47 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
I'm actually extra impressed and surprised at the lack of damage at 115 MPH and driver walked away... (may be a little GPS error as IIRC speed limiter is ~110 MPH)
same, i wanna see more pics, thing looks like it was backed into at an odd angle, not high speed impact.
Old 03-08-20, 11:09 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the turnpike speed was 75MPH when the driver fell asleep with the gas naturally pressed down more at a light constant rate in return. The speeds kept going up. at this point, the car is still driving straight. After around 95 mph the road texture changed causing the SUV to a slow drift to the left. slowly by slowly it went off the pavement then into a downhill ditch. Witch automatically caused the car to gain more speed after that it was bumpy off-roading for the GX but the problem here was that car hit a big dip then went jumped Right going up the same ditch at an upward angle like a launchpad and impacted the right side of the suspension and everything with the edge of the pavement after that the car almost flipped to left but landed back on its feet in the middle of the two-lane turnpike pavement. This happened with a matter of a couple of seconds in total.
Old 03-09-20, 06:54 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Very sorry to hear this...
Is there any chance you could post the dashcam video?
Definitely save a copy for insurance as well.
Old 03-09-20, 09:02 AM
jaycedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is honestly hard to tell from the pictures. I’d say you are bordering on being totaled.
Old 03-09-20, 06:17 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it will be totaled. Below was my 12mph impact after someone ran a red light and caused the Xterra in front of me to lock up his brakes. Airbags did not deploy; no axle or frame damage but his hitch really did a number on the front end and cracked the radiator...$14k in parts and labor plus insurance coughed up another $3k to re-wrap the front in ppf.

Old 03-11-20, 09:38 AM
mvorbrodt
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Where I'm from (Poland) there's a saying: "pieniądze kobiety i samochodu sie nie pożycza"... this loosely translates to "money, woman, and car is not to be borrowed"

how the h3ll does one borrow a friend's expensive car and drives it so irresponsibly as to crash it by falling asleep. that friend would not be my friend anymore, and would be on the hook for the cost of damage.
The following 5 users liked this post by mvorbrodt:
Ay-nako (03-23-20), Mojlnir (03-11-20), pvsmith (03-13-20), sinistar (03-12-20), User21c (03-11-20)
Old 03-11-20, 09:55 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one who wants to see the footage of this incident?
User21c (03-11-20)
Old 03-11-20, 01:40 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xuserx04
Am I the only one who wants to see the footage of this incident?
We're not going to see any footage. The story (and it is a story rather than what actually happened) has changed quite a bit - if nothing else from "a friend" to "the driver".

The OP has already written off the car "I really loved this car. I spent a lot of labor hours on this car." - past tense means write off.

"I installed a dashcam, and it shows the whole scene of the driver falling asleep, so that's why I won't take action against the driver" - Here we have to ask ourselves what is on the dashcam that keeps him from claiming against the driver's insurance.

This is the curse of being an investigator.
Old 03-11-20, 01:49 PM
mvorbrodt
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
We're not going to see any footage. The story (and it is a story rather than what actually happened) has changed quite a bit - if nothing else from "a friend" to "the driver".

The OP has already written off the car "I really loved this car. I spent a lot of labor hours on this car." - past tense means write off.

"I installed a dashcam, and it shows the whole scene of the driver falling asleep, so that's why I won't take action against the driver" - Here we have to ask ourselves what is on the dashcam that keeps him from claiming against the driver's insurance.

This is the curse of being an investigator.
lindsay lohan defense: just because the coke was in my pocket does not mean it was mine!
Old 03-11-20, 04:07 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mvorbrodt
lindsay lohan defense: just because the coke was in my pocket does not mean it was mine!
There are lots of reasons for the change from "a friend" to "the driver." It could be that the OP and "a friend" had a spat causing "a friend" to become "the driver". The other most common explanation is that "a friend" is actually a relative - perhaps someone with no license or no insurance.

The photo of the damage doesn't really match the description of the accident but it would be nice to know what caused that damage.
Old 03-12-20, 09:19 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha, The theories. The reason I have not uploaded the dashcam footage is due to the driver suffering severe head trauma as the impact was powerful as well none of the airbags went off. I feel like to respect my friend I can't post it due to the severity of the crash. The first picture was not a good picture so the damage seems minimal. There is 36K worth of damages according to the shop. Pretty much every component is finished under the vehicle and etc.
Old 03-13-20, 04:31 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

That's totaled. What replacement vehicle are you thinking of?
Old 03-13-20, 07:07 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zayn
Haha, The theories. The reason I have not uploaded the dashcam footage is due to the driver suffering severe head trauma as the impact was powerful as well none of the airbags went off. I feel like to respect my friend I can't post it due to the severity of the crash. The first picture was not a good picture so the damage seems minimal. There is 36K worth of damages according to the shop. Pretty much every component is finished under the vehicle and etc.
You'll want to report this to NHTSA if there were injuries and the airbags did not deploy. In addition, Lexus needs to be informed (via a registered letter) as they will be interested in seeing the vehicle to determine what went wrong.

While airbags shouldn't go off in every accident, the system makes millions of calculations to answer one question "if I deploy, will I reduce or eliminate injuries?" If your friend was injured by hitting a hard surface, then the airbag system didn't do the job required and you need to determine if it was a design error, a maintenance issue or one of your mods that caused the bags to not deploy.
nuclearn8 (03-13-20)

Quick Reply: Sad day for my lexus