GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sad day for my lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20 | 05:47 PM
hzhao
Racer

From the picture, the direct force of impact didn't seems from the frontal, which explains why the airbag didn't deploy. It's almost impacted at corner of passenger side, provided the wheel and axle been broken off, the impact seems more of from the bottom with an upper direction angle at the corner. In general, there is no significant engineerings compartment distortion, no windshield cracks, most significantly, the grill didn't result much of damages. Based on those observation, I won't expect the airbags would deploy.
Old 03-13-20 | 07:35 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hzhao
From the picture, the direct force of impact didn't seems from the frontal, which explains why the airbag didn't deploy. It's almost impacted at corner of passenger side, provided the wheel and axle been broken off, the impact seems more of from the bottom with an upper direction angle at the corner. In general, there is no significant engineerings compartment distortion, no windshield cracks, most significantly, the grill didn't result much of damages. Based on those observation, I won't expect the airbags would deploy.
That would be correct with 1st gen airbags (pre 1995/96) but not for the modern airbags that have a variety of different sensors that sense things other than frontal impacts.
Old 03-14-20 | 12:15 AM
Zayn
Rookie

Yes, The body shop showed me why it didn't deploy. The sensor is a yellow round tab, it didn't impact the piece by a couple of inches. So no faults in the system. It's basically sitting right behind the bumper peace that's above the signal lamp with the blue tape on it.

Last edited by Zayn; 03-14-20 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-15-20 | 01:05 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zayn
Yes, The body shop showed me why it didn't deploy. The sensor is a yellow round tab, it didn't impact the piece by a couple of inches. So no faults in the system. It's basically sitting right behind the bumper peace that's above the signal lamp with the blue tape on it.
Not quite correct. There are far more sensors than a "bang and deploy".

If the system were designed to only deploy when one of those yellow tabs were hit, then they would only go off in front end collisions. Here is a very simplistic overview and there is a wealth of information here. I'm not an air bag guru, but I had Vince and Larry in my office and I work with the air bag guys.

People being injured by hard bits in the cabin in a modern car is very rare.

Old 03-22-20 | 12:34 AM
Zayn
Rookie

So I've been searching for some replacement vehicles. what do you folks suggest I should pick up. These are so far the 3 best deals I've found on these models in regards to the newest year and mileage under my budget.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=265272397

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=268829528

https://www.auto.com/cars/lexus-gx_4...ew#ad_carousel
Old 03-22-20 | 06:07 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

If those are the only 3 you're considering, the LX then GX

I'd offer 55 for the LX, it's going on 4 model years old 6 months when the 2021s become available, and generally these SUVs drop 10k a year in value the first handful of years... plus in this economy, it's a buyers market. Not many people looking to buy cars right now.
Old 03-22-20 | 06:14 AM
natehack
Rookie

LX would be so nice. That 5.7 and 8speed would be sublime. Proven tech. Trusted reliability. Big bumpin’ Mark Levinson. Japanese luxury.

Supercharged V8, limited dealers for service, not so stellar reputation, heavy, thirsty, resale value would fall off a cliff in 2 years.
What could go wrong?!? Answer = a lot. (my stupid opinion; your results may vary)

You know the platform. It’s brand spankin’ new! Not so big you will be worried about parking lot maneuvers. A Goldilocks choice?
Old 03-22-20 | 08:50 AM
Felix
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Zayn;10757792]Haha, The theories. The reason I have not uploaded the dashcam footage is due to the driver suffering severe head trauma as the impact was powerful as well none of the airbags went off. I feel like to respect my friend I can't post it due to the severity of the crash. The first picture was not a good picture so the damage seems minimal. There is 36K worth of damages according to the shop. Pretty much every component is finished under the vehicle and etc.
Hopefully everyone is ok & getting well I respect your decision, but I'd for sure hold him accountable......I've had a couple vehicles totalled thanx to the other driver's......Don't jump on the first vehicle you see, get the options & color you want, Happy hunting & I'd open up your search radius.