GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Plasti dip'd the rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 10:12 AM
DRJONES34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Plasti dip'd the rear

Got a wild hair and decided to change up the look of my GX.....nothing too crazy for my 1st mod. Plasti dip seemed like an obvious choice since "they" claim it can be easily removed and returned back to stock form. I started with a little youtube research which said to do a light first coat then wet coats after that. A couple of hours later, mostly for drying time, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

A stock pic

Started with the emblems....left an inch around to be able to peel off the excess

After 5 coats

Results using a color named Selenite Gray

Decided the color was just a bit too light, so I peeled it all off and re-sprayed with a slightly darker one - Graphite Pearl (over a base coat of grey)
Old 03-11-20, 12:16 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Looks good and glad it's not black. I don't quite understand the trend of blacking out everything and really cheapening the look to make it looks "tough". I still remembered back in the days where cars with black trims are the cheapest, lowest mode, remember the old Civic DX? LOL
Old 03-11-20, 02:55 PM
DRJONES34
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Looks good and glad it's not black. I don't quite understand the trend of blacking out everything and really cheapening the look to make it looks "tough". I still remembered back in the days where cars with black trims are the cheapest, lowest mode, remember the old Civic DX? LOL
Right. To each their own, but I didn't want to "murder-out" my $50K+ Lexus
Old 03-11-20, 03:34 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

I think the charcoal color you chose look much much better. Looks a bit OEM as well.

Originally Posted by DRJONES34
Right. To each their own, but I didn't want to "murder-out" my $50K+ Lexus
Old 03-11-20, 03:51 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

From someone who plasti-dipped the hell of my previous 4runners 3-5 years ago the only lesson I learned was if you ever plan to remove it, make sure you apply it thick enough (at least 5 light coats) so it will pull off in one large chunk once you catch an edge.... otherwise it gets to brittle when exposed to sun and the removal is a lot more time consuming than it needs to be...