GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 04:08 PM
Philly01
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cquartz ceramic coating

Does anyone do Ceramic coating DIY or it definitely needs to be done in a shop.
Old 02-13-19, 05:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

The detailing before the application can be frustrating and probably best done by a professional. Tools also needed along with experience on how to apply this.

The following users liked this post:
Philly01 (02-13-19)
Old 02-14-19, 01:20 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly01
Does anyone do Ceramic coating DIY or it definitely needs to be done in a shop.
I assume you are in Philly or nearby. I had my Tundra ceramic coated by AO Detail in Pennsauken. Pricey but awesome. Getting the GX done soon.
Old 02-14-19, 01:21 PM
Philly01
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgs

I assume you are in Philly or nearby. I had my Tundra ceramic coated by AO Detail in Pennsauken. Pricey but awesome. Getting the GX done soon.
Great, thank you for the advice!
Old 02-14-19, 01:28 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Default Prep is where the cost lies

Originally Posted by Philly01
Great, thank you for the advice!
As has been said, the prep is key and the expensive part. I had to have my truck completely paint corrected due to swirls and two-years worth PF neglect. Then the ceramic coating itself was cheap.
Philly01 (02-14-19)
Old 02-16-19, 08:56 AM
meetleo09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there,

Just sharing my experience having gone through researching CQuartz line up and the options of DIY vs professional help.

As you probably know, there are 3 versions of CQuartz ceramic coating lineup.
1. CQuartz UK - This is a consumer grade product and provides up to 12 months of protection
2. CQuartz Pro - Professional grade product, 2 yrs protection warranty. Can only be applied by a professional
3. CQuartz Finest reserve - Professional grade product, 3 yrs protection warranty. Can only be applied by a professional

Out of the 3 above, only CQuartz UK can be bought by consumers for applying DIY. But as others have said, detailing , paint correction and prepping with the proper polishing is the key. This is where it takes a lot of time . Outcome of applying the ceramic coating depends on how good the previously mentioned steps are done.

For my vehicle, I was quoted about $2300 for Finest reserve and about $1300-$1400 for Pro. I was in a dilemma to go for the coating or do it myself because of the cost reasons. But when I considered the fact that prepping is more important(preferably in a closed env.), I decided to go for the Pro version though it was a stretch on my budget. Its been about a month and I already see the value in it.

Hope this helps.
Philly01 (02-16-19)
Old 02-16-19, 09:24 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by meetleo09
Hey there,

Just sharing my experience having gone through researching CQuartz line up and the options of DIY vs professional help.

As you probably know, there are 3 versions of CQuartz ceramic coating lineup.
1. CQuartz UK - This is a consumer grade product and provides up to 12 months of protection
2. CQuartz Pro - Professional grade product, 2 yrs protection warranty. Can only be applied by a professional
3. CQuartz Finest reserve - Professional grade product, 3 yrs protection warranty. Can only be applied by a professional

Out of the 3 above, only CQuartz UK can be bought by consumers for applying DIY. But as others have said, detailing , paint correction and prepping with the proper polishing is the key. This is where it takes a lot of time . Outcome of applying the ceramic coating depends on how good the previously mentioned steps are done.

For my vehicle, I was quoted about $2300 for Finest reserve and about $1300-$1400 for Pro. I was in a dilemma to go for the coating or do it myself because of the cost reasons. But when I considered the fact that prepping is more important(preferably in a closed env.), I decided to go for the Pro version though it was a stretch on my budget. Its been about a month and I already see the value in it.

Hope this helps.
this is consistent with pricing I was quoted. My detailer used Ceramic Pro. 5 year warranty.
Philly01 (02-16-19)
Old 02-17-19, 08:04 AM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Just an opinion..

dman3626 (07-26-19)
Old 02-19-19, 02:03 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It's a lot of money that you don't get back.

However if having perfect paint all the time really makes you happy, then it might be worthwhile.
Old 02-21-19, 08:45 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked into this as extensively as I could until I realized that the real benefit is in the surface preparation ("surface correction" is the high falutin term, I guess). Meanwhile, the ceramic product itself is--my take--garbage that is functionally no better than Nu Shine, etc. and based on highly dubious chemistry and physics assumptions. I might consider visiting one of the shops that does this kind of thing and get a quote for the surface correction, but the ceramic sauce seems a silly expenditure unless you have silly money to spend.
darkoozy (03-12-23)
Old 03-11-20, 03:40 PM
Woodyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ceramic coating

Just got it back from the detailer today.
​​​​​​2017 Lexus GX460 that received 2 step paint correction service, wheels off cleaning and coating of the full wheels, undercarriage and suspension cleaning and corrosion proofing, calipers painted, rear emblems removed and replaced with Black Chrome emblems, 2 yr SB3 Omega Ceramic coating package, SB3 Optic on the windshield, interior detail and protection with Angelwax Enigma Interno Ceramic sealant.

The following 4 users liked this post by Woodyboy:
bbqsoup (03-11-20), ltsr (03-11-20), MarkVII (03-11-20), nuclearn8 (03-11-20)
Old 03-11-20, 03:47 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Wow! that is really shiny. Looks awesome! Do you have to come back for "touch ups" or any after-maintenance with ceramic?

I got a bottle of Exoforma ceramic spray on and used 2 coats on my wife's Blizzard Pearl Camry and it looks really good, really smooth to the touch. I'm planning to use it on the GX soon.
Woodyboy (03-12-20)
Old 03-11-20, 03:56 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

When black is clean, it is the best looking color by far on any vehicle i think. I bet it wasn't cheap but well worth it, looks amazing!
The following 2 users liked this post by nuclearn8:
Sendorosa (04-13-20), Woodyboy (03-12-20)
Old 03-11-20, 04:47 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

That looks great. We had ours ceramic coated as well. I think it's worth the coin. I have only had to hand wash my GX once, maybe twice a year. The quick detailer stuff is pricey, we use carpro reload.

We had some rain recently and the water rolls off the windows. I'm sold on ceramic coating, I gave away all of my good wax to friends. I now ceramic coat everything, from wheels to glass.
Woodyboy (03-12-20)
Old 03-11-20, 06:03 PM
louscrw
Rookie

Received 56 Likes on 12 Posts

The 3rd picture is like looking into a mirror. Looks great!
Woodyboy (03-12-20)

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating