GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LDA to LKA

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 01:58 PM
tulanepat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LDA to LKA

Can the LDA be upgraded to LKA? My 2017 GX has LDA.
The following users liked this post:
Woodyboy (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 04:25 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

talking out my *** here, but im gonna say nope.

gx doesnt have an electric power steering unit/assembly as cars with lka would have.

wish it did though, ive been following the development of openpilot and strongly considering downgrading to a rav4 to be able to have it.
The following 2 users liked this post by WRD4chano:
dwh13 (01-25-21), hzhao (01-25-21)
Old 03-17-20, 05:39 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tulanepat
Can the LDA be upgraded to LKA? My 2017 GX has LDA.
If you manage that, you might have the most unique GX ever built. The GX platform does not have any factory means of incorporating Active Lane Keep system, as it does not use an electrically assisted power steering system. Case in point even the current new GX does not get that feature.
Old 03-18-20, 04:45 AM
tulanepat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If you manage that, you might have the most unique GX ever built. The GX platform does not have any factory means of incorporating Active Lane Keep system, as it does not use an electrically assisted power steering system. Case in point even the current new GX does not get that feature.
I was at the dealer and saw a window sticker on a 2020 GX which had LKA listed. That is why I asked
Old 03-18-20, 08:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I was at the dealer and saw a window sticker on a 2020 GX which had LKA listed. That is why I asked
Lexus Safety System +, Pre-Collision System with
Pedestrian Detection, High-Speed Dynamic Radar
Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert & Intelligent
High Beam Headlamps
10 Airbags / Brake Assist w/Smart Stop
This is from a V-Spec/build sheet Lexus provided off a MY20 GX premium.

All these safety marketing terms are really cumbersome to interpret.

If you already have a pre20 GX with Lane Departure Alert you basically have all of those features that a GX can get. I think the only thing you miss out on in terms of safety is your sensor doesnt detect pedestrians, but the new sensor does...? (something detection wise is added).

Last edited by coolsaber; 03-18-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-18-20, 09:37 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

From all official documents, all GX 2020 and Prior, ONLY offer the LDA, the Lan Departure Alert, there is no LKA (the Lan Keep Assist) available on GX no matter which trim level. LKA is completely different from LDA, and require entire different ECUs and other components. Only first generation of "Toyota Safe+ systems" is available on GX.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
cb1111 (03-19-20), coolsaber (03-18-20)
Old 01-25-21, 09:06 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Just wondering if Questtt3 ever bought a new GX?
Old 04-14-21, 07:29 PM
Toothpick
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh, the huge lag in tech upgrades really indicates that Gx460 will be discontinued. Otherwise Lexus would do a gradual upgrades...
This is bad news for me. I traded in my 2010 GX460 about two years ago.
It doesn’t really make sense for me to get another gen2 GX.
So I hoped that my next car will be a next gen Gx... why wouldn’t they rebadge new Prado for US market?

on a side note, Lexus and Toyota maybe selling a lot of new cars, but they are loosing a long time owners like me.
I am usually replacing my cars every 3-5 years. Currently only one out of 3 cars in my family is Toyota. And it is the oldest one.
and it used to be all Toyota and Lexus cars for many years until 2018.

Old 04-15-21, 06:40 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Toothpick
Ugh, the huge lag in tech upgrades really indicates that Gx460 will be discontinued. Otherwise Lexus would do a gradual upgrades...
This is bad news for me. I traded in my 2010 GX460 about two years ago.
It doesn’t really make sense for me to get another gen2 GX.
So I hoped that my next car will be a next gen Gx... why wouldn’t they rebadge new Prado for US market?

on a side note, Lexus and Toyota maybe selling a lot of new cars, but they are loosing a long time owners like me.
I am usually replacing my cars every 3-5 years. Currently only one out of 3 cars in my family is Toyota. And it is the oldest one.
and it used to be all Toyota and Lexus cars for many years until 2018.
Prado is essentially the same mechanical platform as of GX, do not offer electronic steering, nor LKA. More importantly, it is not so much about technology upgrade, rather what is the market segment and targeted purpose of vehicle. Prado, as a well known off-road capable vehicle, is heavily focused on its mechanical strength, electronic steering and street driving aids certainly off little or no additional marketing value, in fact, electronic steering will only reduce the off-road capability when dealing with rough and extreme conditions. Instead, you will find features such as locking differential, crawl control, a-trac, etc features that really make the Prado and GX standing out. That trends for Prado will likely to continue based on recently updated Prado as well as upcoming LC/LX.
Old 05-25-23, 04:56 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

I am a new GX 460 owner (2023 Luxury + Offroad Package). I have been researching this a lot lately.. I really want this to work somehow. Here is what is needed:

1. Procure & swap the steering rack with the one from LX 600 (Some GX suspension upgrades requires the swap from a Land Cruiser)
- Newer LX 600s are EPS systems.
- There are many DIY vehicle builder folks that are using Comma AI on their vehicles.
2. Connect that electric steering motor controller to the can bus system of GX.
3. 'someone' with OpenPilot knowhow needs modify / add codes to make it work. It has adaptive cruise, so all it needs is a steering motor / control piece to work.

If OpenPilot / Comma AI community can provide the support (with steering component swap), it should be a good sized market for them, at least for the models with ACC incorporated. I bought mine with full intent to chop and modify for off-road / camping / overland use. I understand there are diehard purists who do not belive that this vehicle with hydraulic steering is perfect, and should be left as is. I disagree. For many of us in the overlanding community (or wannabes), we often travel very long highway miles, it is a godsend!

However, I am doubtful if someone (besides myself) would actually take this route in an unknown, unsupported area given the costs associated with such swap. Why would someone swap their steering components with no guarantee that this would work, or the opensource community would support it?

Now, someone may say that it would be cheaper to switch the the LX. Perhaps that may be the best route, but I don't want to give up on the GX due to it's size, refinement, and that last of it's kind V8.

If anyone has any knowledge of making the steering swap + steering control motor connection work, please do chime in.
Old 05-25-23, 05:03 AM
asong1
Intermediate

I guess the first step would be to officially support LX 600. Then let the swaps & hacks begin. Once LX 600 is using OpenPilot, I'll definitely do the steering rack swap and pursue further.
Old 05-25-23, 03:33 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Why would someone swap their steering components with no guarantee that this would work, or the opensource community would support it?
No.

Just buy a 2024 GX, I am sure it will have LKA.
​​​​​​​
Old 05-25-23, 04:00 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike202
No.

That would be too easy

besides, give up on my brand spanking new / final V8 on the GX? No way! I’ll get this to work. speaking of the new GX, I’m monitoring closely what the it will bring to the table, but solely for swap / retrofit purposes.
Old 05-25-23, 04:02 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by mike202
No.

Agreed. 2024 GX will equipped with Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 for sure.

As for above retrofit suggestion, it is not only not practical, but also illegal! It will pretty much void all the insurance, and there will be a huge liability if anyone would take it on the public roads. More so, it could be a violation of vehicle registration itself.