GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Electrochromic (auto-dimming) mirror not available on Base and Premium

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 09:57 PM
badger
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrochromic (auto-dimming) mirror not available on Base and Premium

Hi all, I was researching the 2020 GX for potential leasing, and found on lexus.com that the Base and Premium trims cannot get the electrochromic (auto-dimming) center rearview mirror, not even as an option. Only the Luxury trim has the electro center mirror.

For a car this expensive, I would think this basic feature would be standard or optional. But totally not available?

Most other Lexus models have it standard or as a cheap option. I would hate to spend $11,000 extra for the Luxury trim just to get that mirror.

My question is: for those who have the Base or Premium, how bad is the glare at night?

Below are the link to the comparison on lexus.com, and a screenshot:
https://www.lexus.com/compare/report...20,76883342020

Old 03-18-20, 08:02 AM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I have had no glare issues on my 2019 Premium. However, I do have the front side windows tinted with ceramic film to match the factory rear door tint, so that helps a bit.

Old 03-18-20, 02:00 PM
badger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I have had no glare issues on my 2019 Premium. However, I do have the front side windows tinted with ceramic film to match the factory rear door tint, so that helps a bit.
That looks nice! I think the back tailgate window being factory tinted should also help with rear straight-on headlights shining from behind.

If I end up getting the base or premium, I could also try a DIY swap of the rearview mirror, or maybe tint the mirror itself.
Old 03-18-20, 02:15 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2020 premium (with sport package) and just sat in it to check. It has auto-dimming mirror with a power button in the center to enable/disable.
Old 03-18-20, 03:16 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

But wouldn't it have a manual dimming mirror? I could live with that for $11k.
Old 03-18-20, 03:22 PM
csrpenfab
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I misread your first post and thought you were talking about the side mirrors! Then I pulled the factory sticker and verified on my 2019 that both a Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming Inside rear view mirror and Auto-dimming outside mirrors were included standard. These are listed on the window sticker and they are not even part of the $2,570 "Premium Package" option. Did they change these standard options for the 2020? So I take back what I said earlier about no glare due to tint....
Old 03-18-20, 03:35 PM
badger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darkoozy
I have a 2020 premium (with sport package) and just sat in it to check. It has auto-dimming mirror with a power button in the center to enable/disable.
Hmm, interesting, a manual-dimming mirror. That's good news. (could just be an omission on lexus.com since I'm not seeing manual there. Only seeing auto-dimming 'not available' per my screenshot/link.)

If you manually enable dimming using the button, does it save the dimmed state after engine stop and next start? (unlike how pre-collision PCS reverts to a default state after engine stop)
Old 03-18-20, 03:56 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Back in the old days, a manual dimming mirror has a small flip lever on the bottom center of mirror. It stays either way until you move it.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
bbqsoup (03-18-20), mwengineer (12-07-21)
Old 03-18-20, 04:47 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Auto dimming always default back to dim when the car is turned off.

Originally Posted by badger
Hmm, interesting, a manual-dimming mirror. That's good news. (could just be an omission on lexus.com since I'm not seeing manual there. Only seeing auto-dimming 'not available' per my screenshot/link.)

If you manually enable dimming using the button, does it save the dimmed state after engine stop and next start? (unlike how pre-collision PCS reverts to a default state after engine stop)
The following users liked this post:
darkoozy (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20, 06:11 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by badger

The dimmed state defaults to "on" after engine stop and next start.
Old 03-18-20, 06:20 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

You guys do realize I'm talking about a basic manual mirror, no electric dimming function.
Old 03-18-20, 06:39 PM
badger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Auto dimming always default back to dim when the car is turned off.
Originally Posted by darkoozy
The dimmed state defaults to "on" after engine stop and next start.
Good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by swfla
You guys do realize I'm talking about a basic manual mirror, no electric dimming function.
I remember those old style flip-switch mirrors in older cars. Haven't seen those in a while. Just curious, how do they dim the glare, compared to electrochromic? The flip-switch enables a film or something?

Last edited by badger; 03-18-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 07:13 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

The mirror is like a prism. Thick on the top and thin on the bottom or vice versa. I don't know if that's what Lexus offers, but it is basic and works well. Maybe I'm too old!!
Old 03-19-20, 12:11 AM
badger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
The mirror is like a prism. Thick on the top and thin on the bottom or vice versa. I don't know if that's what Lexus offers, but it is basic and works well. Maybe I'm too old!!
Well, as long as there's a dimming rearview mirror to blunt the glare and it works, I'm good to go.
Old 03-19-20, 12:26 AM
badger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
I misread your first post and thought you were talking about the side mirrors! Then I pulled the factory sticker and verified on my 2019 that both a Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming Inside rear view mirror and Auto-dimming outside mirrors were included standard. These are listed on the window sticker and they are not even part of the $2,570 "Premium Package" option. Did they change these standard options for the 2020? So I take back what I said earlier about no glare due to tint....
It'd be a sucky downgrade if Lexus removed the electro rearview mirror for 2020 Base/Premium, as lexus.com and my screenshot from my first post had shown.

But from your reply and a few other replies, it appears it's standard equipment on previous years and on 2020. Must be a typo on lexus.com. Hope they correct the website.

Had me all worked up that a $60K Lexus doesn't have a dimming mirror!

Last edited by badger; 03-19-20 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Electrochromic (auto-dimming) mirror not available on Base and Premium