GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Picking up my 2017 GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 09:23 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Picking up my 2017 GX 460

Have a pretty good story of my experience purchasing a 2017 GX and figured I'd share. I sold at a Lexus dealership about 7 years ago for 8 months before I started law school (which explains my love of Lexus). During that time I became close friends (more like brothers) with my sales manager who happens to now be a GM of a different Lexus dealership. Long story short, he spotted a "17 premium at the Lexus auction that checked all the boxes and purchased it for me (saving me a good 5-7k!). Only problem was, the car was in Glendale, CA and I am in Phoenix AZ. After waiting two weeks for a shipping company to pick it up, which they never did, CA decided to go into lock down and I had to get it asap. Booked a $50 flight from Phoenix to Burbank on a plane with about 10 other people on it and drove LA freeways without seeing any traffic which was something I never thought I'd experience! Long story short, I made it back to Phoenix and am in "recondition" mode with the GX since I picked it up just as the prior owner dropped it off. Car is in great shape due to there only being 22k miles on it so I am just doing my OCD detailing/protection regime. I've always loved the GX and knew at some point it would be a family vehicle and I am excited to put it to work!

Planned mods:
2020 OEM grill
LED taillights (pending review by @hzhao
Full leather wrapped steering wheel and shift **** and possible vinyl wrap on the wood trim (wife's request)

pics!

The following 7 users liked this post by CaptRog21:
Chaos236 (04-05-20), coolsaber (03-25-20), csrpenfab (03-22-20), dwh13 (03-23-20), hadokenuh (03-23-20), ltsr (03-24-20), nuclearn8 (03-23-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-20, 10:50 AM
mena661
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW, we're not in "lockdown" (I wish people would stop saying this) and car dealerships are considered essential business. You could've picked it up anytime.
Old 03-24-20, 11:11 AM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Call it what you will, the areas I drove through looked "locked down" to me. True, car dealerships are considered essential business but seeing how there wasn't a single customer in the dealership, which I expected, I didn't want to risk them temporarily closing and extending my wait.
Old 03-25-20, 08:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Congrats on the clean purchase! Question for ya, did you have to pay sales tax twice since you drove it back?
Old 03-27-20, 09:39 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Congrats on the clean purchase! Question for ya, did you have to pay sales tax twice since you drove it back?
Doesn’t work talk at way. Often the selling dealership will collect sales tax for your state and send it to your state for the registration
Old 03-27-20, 10:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JonGX
Doesn’t work talk at way. Often the selling dealership will collect sales tax for your state and send it to your state for the registration
true, but Cali is an oddball and Used Cali cars I`m not familiar with.

I have heard that if your out of state buyer on any new vehicle, the minute new car rubber hits the road aka drive off the showroom floor CA sales tax is due. So say your in Oregon, you fly down to Cali, purchase a new vehicle and want to drive it back, you have to first satisfy CA tax, and then Oregon (lol). No refunds are available for the CA sales tax.

This rule however no longer applies if you decide to purchase a new car in Cali, but then opt for a truck delivery for some reason.

So wondering whether the rules apply on used vehicle as well.
Old 03-28-20, 09:41 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mena661
BTW, we're not in "lockdown" (I wish people would stop saying this) and car dealerships are considered essential business. You could've picked it up anytime.
Not necessarily. Service is open, sales isn’t, or at least shouldn’t be.

Regardless, congrats on the car. I’m thinking of making the switch To a GX as well, although given the current climate I’m going to have to wait a little longer.

Last edited by RXGS; 03-28-20 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-28-20, 12:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Back in '07 I purchased my G35x out of CA. At the time I could either fly down and drive out of state in 24 hours or just have it trucked up to WA state. If I had been in state for more than 24 hours I would have had to license and pay sale tax. That is the memory I had... I opted to just have it trucked up to my house and dropped off in my driveway.

I have heard that if your out of state buyer on any new vehicle, the minute new car rubber hits the road aka drive off the showroom floor CA sales tax is due. So say your in Oregon, you fly down to Cali, purchase a new vehicle and want to drive it back, you have to first satisfy CA tax, and then Oregon (lol). No refunds are available for the CA sales tax.

This rule however no longer applies if you decide to purchase a new car in Cali, but then opt for a truck delivery for some reason.

The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 01:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I was wondering since from time to time, I see mint project cars that are clean bodywork wise in Cali, but after hearing about there rules and regs i passed.
Old 04-01-20, 10:40 AM
ATCRich
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful ride!! Congratulations!
Old 04-01-20, 01:53 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Went to the DMV yesterday and go the car registered. For those of you wondering, I only had to pay AZ state sales tax and registration. Didn't pay CA a penny. Keep in mind though, I worked this deal directly through a GM of a Lexus dealer who bought it from the Lexus auction so I am not sure what the experience would have been working through normal channels.
nuclearn8 (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 03:04 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

BTW ... no one ... meaning NO ONE from California EVER says "Cali"
MatB (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 03:04 PM
ASE
Pole Position

BTW ... no one ... meaning NO ONE from California EVER says "Cali" ... and that should go for everyone else as well.

Old 04-01-20, 03:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

What is the problem with "Cali" ?
I have heard this term used for many years....

Going Back to Cali (LL Cool J song)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
For the Notorious B.I.G. song, see Going Back to Cali (The Notorious B.I.G. song). "Go Cut Creator Go"
(1987) "Going Back to Cali"
(1988) "I'm That Type of Guy"
(1989) "Going Back to Cali" Single by LL Cool J from the album Less Than Zero and Walking with a Panther B-side "Jack the Ripper" Released January 27, 1988 Format Vinyl, cassette Recorded 1987 Genre Golden age hip hop Length 3:57 Label Def Jam Songwriter(s) Rick Rubin, James Todd Smith Producer(s) Rick Rubin LL Cool J singles chronology"Going Back to Cali" is a 1988 single by LL Cool J from the Less Than Zero soundtrack as well as his third album, Walking with a Panther. The song was co-written and produced by Rick Rubin. It peaked at #31 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #12 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, and was eventually certified gold by the RIAA on May 28, 1991.

The song features LL Cool J vacillating about moving to California, rapping in the chorus, "I'm going back to Cali", followed by "I don't think so". In the verses, he describes a trip to Los Angeles in which he meets several women but is scared off because they are too sexually aggressive. The basic concept for the song was Rubin's, based on his own ambivalence about possibly moving from New York City to Los Angeles.[1]

The b-side is "Jack The Ripper", a diss track aimed at Kool Moe Dee, as a response to Moe Dee's "How Ya Like Me Now".

Last edited by tecman; 04-01-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 04:16 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tecman
What is the problem with "Cali" ?
I have heard this term used for many years....
Look up in the "Urban Dictionary" ... cannot repeat most of the responses here ...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cali

Quick Reply: Picking up my 2017 GX 460