GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 09:38 PM
abefromansausag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
BTW. i am in texas and have bought a car from TEXASDIRECTAUTO. they were amazing.
they own VROOM which is like carvana. which will ship the car to your door.

texasdirect. ha ha. their showroom in houston.. if u walk in and say u wanna test drive a car.. its like a 1-2 hour wait..

funy thing is Texas direct buys from manheim lol i have seen ...a car sold in manheim MMR record and a week later same VIN. on texasdirect and vroom
i observed that their markup is rising.now so basically its 3-4K more than what they paid at auction and they have to pay a auction fee 3-400 i guess and then transport it to their houston location and then sell.it

if u get a manheim off lease. low miles with remaining factory warranty and CR > 4.5 basically u r doing what texasdirect does.. ha ha
.they buy it onlne and dont have time to inspect.. and turn it around As fast as possible...

best advice is already given by COOLSABER- thankyou

Value/$:Manheim>New Vehicle is discount is huge>2nd hand market.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the auctions a bit more
Old 02-24-19, 04:47 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
FYI - I just picked up an L/Certified 2018 Premium. I have 5 more years of warranty remaining (unlimited miles). This is actually far superior to buying new (4 yrs / 50K standard warranty).
1 yr old is definitely the sweet spot for L/Certified. My sales guy even told me this when shopping for me GX. However, 1 yr old ones are pretty hard to find, at least in my experience. Ones I did find were actually priced higher than they'd sell me a new 2019 for, but with 90+ 2019 GXs on their lot I can see why they were motivated to move them!

Last edited by oksir83; 02-24-19 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 05:01 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Things to check:
1. Lean ( on mine it’ll lean a tad one day and be level another)
2. Will require you to crawl underneath but check for transfer case leak
3. Valve cover leaks. If this is bad enough you’ll see oil pool to the lowest point which will show up as wet oil pan.
4. Use flashlight to see if your AC compressor is covered in oil from VC leak.
5. I could be wrong but brake pedal hissing is normal when braking
The following users liked this post:
Cuervofrog (10-01-20)
Old 02-24-19, 05:15 AM
supperfly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wadeopgh
Oh yeah, it has almost an inch lean to the passenger side, both front and rear.

I will have to test the vibration tomorrow, thanks!
lmao seriously leaning that much. Thats ridiculous.
Old 02-24-19, 06:18 AM
Jmildoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for any oil underneath period. I picked up a 16 last week and noticed this weekend when changing step lights to LED that there was oil on the transfer case, its real light so when I take it in for oil change next then i will have them put it in the notes.
Old 02-24-19, 06:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Your mechanic will undoubtedly give it a good once over but some areas here to be on the look out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-expires.html
Old 02-24-19, 08:18 AM
Magnumpi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a 2014 with 39k miles on it. Bought from CarMax and they have a 30 day warranty where they will repair anything needed. I didn't trust their thorough inspection so I took it to lexus for a thorough inspection during the airbag recall. They found that the CV boots were leaking. Also check that BOTH key fobs work to unlock, and start vehicle, and unlock door with the actual key. Glad I discovered the one key fob not working since those are expensive to replace. The cv boot happens to still be under powertrain warranty. Also noticed while driving on the freeway the steering wheel was not aligned properly. Lexus will perform alignment and calibration for cameras etc.
Old 02-24-19, 09:37 AM
wadeopgh
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone tried to correct the GX loan by calibrating the kdss?

I found a vid of the landcrusier guys calibrating the kdss to resolve the lean.

https://goo.gl/images/x7fA4P

Just wondering... yeah the lean is annoying and I feel the truck needs an alignment as well, slight right pull.

Thanks guys
Old 02-24-19, 09:40 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

theres different ways to fix the lean. there's a TSB on it also, and i think they change springs. depends on if you have some type of coverage or need to do it on the cheap.
if it leans both ways, at different times, then valve adjustment might be the way to go. if its always the same side, then the spring.
Old 02-24-19, 09:45 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

could even block it all off once level. if no leaks, then should be good, but it takes away some of the benefit.
Old 02-24-19, 11:06 AM
supperfly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wadeopgh
I found a vid of the landcrusier guys calibrating the kdss to resolve the lean.

https://goo.gl/images/x7fA4P

Just wondering... yeah the lean is annoying and I feel the truck needs an alignment as well, slight right pull.

Thanks guys
At only 40k miles sounds like too many issues.
Old 02-24-19, 04:02 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-GX-PRE...KHW:rk:32:pf:0

Priced high esp with 36k miles...L-certified. But worth a look...well-known dealer.
Old 02-24-19, 05:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
1 yr old is definitely the sweet spot for L/Certified. My sales guy even told me this when shopping for me GX. However, 1 yr old ones are pretty hard to find, at least in my experience. Ones I did find were actually priced higher than they'd sell me a new 2019 for, but with 90+ 2019 GXs on their lot I can see why they were motivated to move them!
I think thats a bit of misinformation. Warranty wise the 1 year old L/CPO is a great, but seeing their prices.....why bother.

I think the sweet spot on these vehicles are from 2.5+ years from the 1st in service date, assuming your below 30K miles. Enough of the new warranty, and backed by the CPO warranty. However even then, the premium you pay is mind boggling.

Its a tough market on these vehicle second hand. The market premiums these thing command are nothing out there. For instance, one can purchase a Nissan Armada (the new patrol face similar to the current QX80) for $26k-30K with low miles, while in that same range a GX is probably pushing 5+years and close to near 100k

Cuervofrog (10-01-20)
Old 02-24-19, 07:02 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think thats a bit of misinformation. Warranty wise the 1 year old L/CPO is a great, but seeing their prices.....why bother.

I think the sweet spot on these vehicles are from 2.5+ years from the 1st in service date, assuming your below 30K miles. Enough of the new warranty, and backed by the CPO warranty. However even then, the premium you pay is mind boggling.

Its a tough market on these vehicle second hand. The market premiums these thing command are nothing out there. For instance, one can purchase a Nissan Armada (the new patrol face similar to the current QX80) for $26k-30K with low miles, while in that same range a GX is probably pushing 5+years and close to near 100k
I should have been more clear...I was speaking merely from a length of warranty perspective in regards to the previous poster mentioning their 5 yr warranty. I would agree with you...unless you're buying ~3 yrs old or older, take a hard look at buying new. I had no problems getting $8k off a 2019 Premium without much resistance.
Cuervofrog (10-01-20)
Old 02-25-19, 08:42 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
I should have been more clear...I was speaking merely from a length of warranty perspective in regards to the previous poster mentioning their 5 yr warranty. I would agree with you...unless you're buying ~3 yrs old or older, take a hard look at buying new. I had no problems getting $8k off a 2019 Premium without much resistance.
If you purchase an L/Certified vehicle before either time or miles condition of the original warranty has expired (i.e. 4 yrs or 50K miles in the case of my GX) you should get six (6) years of warranty, unlimited mileage, from the date of first use. Since mine was one year old, the balance was 5 years.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party