GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 02:17 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Yotaphan
lol so true. The tech is just flat out embarrassing. Pretty much the same tech that’s in my 2015 tundra. But I’ll take reliability and high quality over tech and high cost of ownership. Most of it I find useless anyhow. Except I do like CarPlay.

One other question though, what does MMC mean?
The MMC usually refers to mid model change, or mid cycle refresh. Basically just minor change/refresh between all-new/re-designed models. For complete details of the GX MMC, follow Acrad's link.
Old 01-15-20, 05:06 PM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to the dealer but they were closing in 10 min. But I got to sit in the third row with my 11 yo son and it was similar to the room in the atlas. However the cargo room with the third row up is completely worthless. Would def need to use my Yakima box for a family trip or something like that. Not a deal breaker as all 6 of us are rarely in the car together.

The over all quality and feel was was so nice and something I missed since getting the VW. We will go back to drive it and for my wife to check out the features and space to makes sure it works the way she needs them, but I think we will probably buy one. I may go the Carvana route as I cant stand the dealer process. They are offering a really nice trade offer and have a blk/blk 2015 with 45k miles
for 30,700.

Last edited by Yotaphan; 01-15-20 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 07:26 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Test drive a Sequoia if you need more room, it has the bigger V-8 too. Kids are going to trash the nice interior anyway, and the third row is a joke 🤣😅🙄
Old 01-16-20, 04:45 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by srpuywa
Test drive a Sequoia if you need more room, it has the bigger V-8 too. Kids are going to trash the nice interior anyway, and the third row is a joke 🤣😅🙄
i don’t disagree here and the sequoia would be my first choice for the room and engine as you mentioned. My wife on the other hand doesn’t want a huge vehicle again. She had 2 Escalade esv and then we downgraded in size and quality into the atlas. She wants to stay in that class of suv but without the headaches. We are going to test drive the gx together and I am going to suggest we go look at a sequoia as well. Would love an LX but finding a nice one in my budget is damn near impossible.
Old 01-16-20, 08:12 AM
Zivman
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

If your needs are actually hauling people , especially with 4 kids, I wouldn't be looking at an SUV like the GX. Id be going to a sienna or odyssey van. if it's a vanity thing, get over it quick and you'll be much happier driving the van.

if you are stuck on a GX, Id opt for the highest trim. when I bought ours used I didn't see higher trims bringing a premium. Buy the best one you can find from 2014 on up. I don't see any year being more troublesome than any others. I think 35 is a fair price for a 17 with mileage in the 30k's
The following 2 users liked this post by Zivman:
gr8fulRed (01-23-20), ltsr (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 09:02 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zivman
If your needs are actually hauling people , especially with 4 kids, I wouldn't be looking at an SUV like the GX. Id be going to a sienna or odyssey van. if it's a vanity thing, get over it quick and you'll be much happier driving the van.

if you are stuck on a GX, Id opt for the highest trim. when I bought ours used I didn't see higher trims bringing a premium. Buy the best one you can find from 2014 on up. I don't see any year being more troublesome than any others. I think 35 is a fair price for a 17 with mileage in the 30k's
it is 100% a vanity thing and also a battle I’m not willing to fight. I completely agree with everything you are saying and would even go a step further to support it by adding another benefit of cost to buy and overall ownership. I’ve looked at vans online and tried to put this topic into discussion. Ain’t happenin’. Fairly new Loaded sienna vans with low miles are easy to find in the 20s. However as I said, I’m choosing not to pick this battle. Lol

the third row isn’t very big but we are a 2 car using family and very rarely are we all in the same car. Maybe to dinner or church. That’s about it so overall I don’t see it as a problem. On road trips we actually prefer to rent passenger vans so the kids all have a row and the mileage and wear and tear are on someone else’s dime. Well worth the spend IMO.
Old 01-16-20, 09:35 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I have 3 kids. 1 is still in FF carseat. All 3 often sit in second row. Once in a while the 12 years old moves to the 3rd row and we still have 1/2 of the trunk space. It's absolutely doable.

Old 01-16-20, 10:04 AM
hhntrinh01
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just picked up my 2017 Luxury GX yesterday. only 29k miles, CPO, all bells and whistle. 4 new brake pads, 4 new tires.
Got a crazy deal at $40k. No way could I turn it down!
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 10:16 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hhntrinh01
Just picked up my 2017 Luxury GX yesterday. only 29k miles, CPO, all bells and whistle. 4 new brake pads, 4 new tires.
Got a crazy deal at $40k. No way could I turn it down!
that is a great deal. My ford dealer has basically the same car you purchased without being cpo(2017 premium with 29k miles) and they just knocked it down to 33,999 plus their BS $700 doc fee. I’m waiting for an out the door offer from them. $40k OTD or less and I’ll go sign papers ASAP.

Last edited by Yotaphan; 01-16-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 10:21 AM
hhntrinh01
Driver School Candidate

That would be decent at $40k OTD. I went CPO b/c it warrantied the car to 2023 and included 2 years of maintenance. I figured that was worth in the $4k+ range. Add on the brakes and tires ($1500 to $2000). Couldn't say no at that point though I was looking at a slightly cheaper non-CPO GX too. Good luck to you!
Old 01-16-20, 10:35 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

That would be decent at $40k OTD. I went CPO b/c it warrantied the car to 2023 and included 2 years of maintenance. I figured that was worth in the $4k+ range. Add on the brakes and tires ($1500 to $2000). Couldn't say no at that point though I was looking at a slightly cheaper non-CPO GX too. Good luck to you!
i would consider the CPO route too if I didn’t have all of the negative equity from this POS atlas. My local Lexus dealer has a few cpo with similar mileage. All priced at $39,999
Old 01-16-20, 11:44 AM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

With that family size, a Sequoia would be ideal. Once those 3rd row seats come up, your cargo room is gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by LexusGXFan:
ASE (01-16-20), gr8fulRed (01-23-20)
Old 01-16-20, 01:25 PM
hhntrinh01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yotaphan
that is a great deal. My ford dealer has basically the same car you purchased without being cpo(2017 premium with 29k miles) and they just knocked it down to 33,999 plus their BS $700 doc fee. I’m waiting for an out the door offer from them. $40k OTD or less and I’ll go sign papers ASAP.
To clarify, the deal I got was for the Luxury trim. The car you are looking at is the Premium. I would look at the extras you get with Lux to see if useful to you. For me, I went with Lux b/c wife "had to have" the power 3rd row folding after the salesman showed how awkward it was to fold/unfold the seats each time. For me, I liked the ability to go into Sports suspension as it tightened up the otherwise bloaty ride. To each his own, but I hate buyer's remorse (and hearing the wife complain each time she has to fold/unfold the third row seats)
Old 01-16-20, 01:58 PM
Zivman
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Sure the warranty has value... But..
I bought michelins for mine and I am at $680 otd on tires. Id question why you'd need brake pads at 29k. I'm at 33k and I have 3/4 pad left.

I think 40 isn't a bad price cpo, but your other numbers seem very inflated
Old 01-16-20, 02:02 PM
hhntrinh01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zivman
Sure the warranty has value... But..
I bought michelins for mine and I am at $680 otd on tires. Id question why you'd need brake pads at 29k. I'm at 33k and I have 3/4 pad left.

I think 40 isn't a bad price cpo, but your other numbers seem very inflated
thats what the salesman told me

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party