GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 09:57 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

If Carvana offered $30k and you really want to dump it, then that is clearly the way to go. Although the dealer is nuts with the "infrastructure fee" (is that legal in your state?), they may not be that far off on their offer.

KBB is not a good gauge anymore. First, dealers will always only the "fair" value - even if your car is pristine. Then, they will normally use the Manheim auction values as they figure that they may end up sending your car to auction.

Taking a huge hit on a trade is obviously a bad idea, but it really depends on how much you hate the Atlas.
Old 01-18-20, 10:09 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
If Carvana offered $30k and you really want to dump it, then that is clearly the way to go. Although the dealer is nuts with the "infrastructure fee" (is that legal in your state?), they may not be that far off on their offer.

KBB is not a good gauge anymore. First, dealers will always only the "fair" value - even if your car is pristine. Then, they will normally use the Manheim auction values as they figure that they may end up sending your car to auction.

Taking a huge hit on a trade is obviously a bad idea, but it really depends on how much you hate the Atlas.

the whole process is a joke. Especially when the entire time they were telling us how they use very good on kbb to be “transparent” because everyone has access to the info

So the IMF is actually SC taxes and tags.

I’ll sell the atlas to Carvana if they are truly going to pay $30,100 and then maybe consider buying that certified one at Lexus for 37 otd. There are a few of them around with the luxury package with miles in the 60-70k range for around 30k starting asking price. I’d be comfortable buying one of those pending a Lexus dealer inspection.

If if not I will find a gx somewhere that wants to move it or find one private party. May have to go to a premium but we can live with that.

Last edited by Yotaphan; 01-18-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 03:10 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yotaphan
the whole process is a joke. Especially when the entire time they were telling us how they use very good on kbb to be “transparent” because everyone has access to the info

I’ll sell the atlas to Carvana if they are truly going to pay $30,100 and then maybe consider buying that certified one at Lexus for 37 otd. There are a few of them around with the luxury package with miles in the 60-70k range for around 30k starting asking price. I’d be comfortable buying one of those pending a Lexus dealer inspection.

If if not I will find a gx somewhere that wants to move it or find one private party. May have to go to a premium but we can live with that.
OK, so that is actually a legitimate fee.

You need to look at this as a business transaction. Make a list of the things you like about the Atlas and what you don't like. Since it is a 18/19, it has the long warranty, so any actual problems should covered. If they rise to the level of a "lemon" under the law in your state, then you should pursue that. Rolling over $10k in negative equity (whether you roll it over or pay it off is immaterial - it is still 10k) is almost always a bad idea.

Telling us what issues you have with the Atlas may help you put some of the issues into perspective - especially after you get our snarky responses.
The following 2 users liked this post by cb1111:
cuotfs (01-18-20), gr8fulRed (01-23-20)
Old 01-18-20, 03:17 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the luxury trim is worth the up charge but that’s just my opinion based on the features I find important.

look for one still under the 6yr / 72k powertrain warranty and you’ll be covered for anything drivetrain-related that comes up
Old 01-18-20, 03:23 PM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cb1111
OK, so that is actually a legitimate fee.

You need to look at this as a business transaction. Make a list of the things you like about the Atlas and what you don't like. Since it is a 18/19, it has the long warranty, so any actual problems should covered. If they rise to the level of a "lemon" under the law in your state, then you should pursue that. Rolling over $10k in negative equity (whether you roll it over or pay it off is immaterial - it is still 10k) is almost always a bad idea.

Telling us what issues you have with the Atlas may help you put some of the issues into perspective - especially after you get our snarky responses.
good reply. Thank you. Snarky responses? Why this is a forum to heavens sakes, I wouldnt expect anything less! Lol.

I am actually contemplating contacting a lawyer about a lemon law case. The only reason I haven’t yet is that I’d rather not deal with the headaches of the process. Anyone have any success doing that?

Here’s the skinny:
the first 9 months of ownership, trouble free except the rear climate control screen literally fell out.

then month 10 coolant issues started happening. Smelling of coolant every time the car is on and 2-3x the low coolant light has come on. VW acts like it’s normal and can’t seem to find an issue even though they agree in a closed sealed system you shouldn’t smell coolant. there are tons of Documented complaints and repairs for various things like water pumps and new head gaskets. I’m actually waiting for an atlas loaner to be available to take it back in again because it stinks, literally.

here is an atlas forum with this as the topic. One of many.

https://www.vwatlasforum.com/threads...ak.1865/page-2

on top of that we have had both front sway bars replaced, the push button start replaced, and a seatbelt buckle.

Last edited by Yotaphan; 01-18-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 04:13 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Trading is always a gamble, especially with iffy auto brands. I got top of the trade in range of KBB for my 4Runner, probably because they are very desirable in the PNW and it was in immaculate condition. Also the trade in value difference reduced the sales tax on the GX here in WA.
Old 01-18-20, 04:44 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

good reply. Thank you. Snarky responses? Why this is a forum to heavens sakes, I wouldnt expect anything less! Lol.

I am actually contemplating contacting a lawyer about a lemon law case. The only reason I haven’t yet is that I’d rather not deal with the headaches of the process. Anyone have any success doing that?

Here’s the skinny:
the first 9 months of ownership, trouble free except the rear climate control screen literally fell out.

then month 10 coolant issues started happening. Smelling of coolant every time the car is on and 2-3x the low coolant light has come on. VW acts like it’s normal and can’t seem to find an issue even though they agree in a closed sealed system you shouldn’t smell coolant. there are tons of Documented complaints and repairs for various things like water pumps and new head gaskets. I’m actually waiting for an atlas loaner to be available to take it back in again because it stinks, literally.

here is an atlas forum with this as the topic. One of many.

https://www.vwatlasforum.com/threads...ak.1865/page-2

on top of that we have had both front sway bars replaced, the push button start replaced, and a seatbelt buckle.
VWs always smell of coolant and they can't build a waterpump to save their lives - but - the ergonomics are usually good, they drive well and have lots of features.

the lemon law process takes time, but with a decent lawyer is pretty painless and hasseveral possible outcomes:

The manufacturer buys the car back and they pay the lawyer
The manufacturer throws money at you to make you shut up. The lawyer takes some part of that
The manufacturer tells you and your lawyer to go suck an egg. A court or arbitrator agrees.

The trick is to find a lawyer who knows the company and your state laws. They will know the company lawyers and knows how far they can push.

The fastest outcome is to get the manufacturer to give you money to go away. When I dealt with BMW it took about a month. The lawyer said we could push for a buyback, but that takes a half year to a year and may be a crap shoot depending on the issue, or we could take the cash. Because the lawyer had spent very little time on the case, they reduced their fee and I ended up with a significant chunk of change. I traded the car within a month before anything else broke.

Manufacturers don't like to buy cars back as there is very little they can do with the car when they get it back. It will have a branded title and they have to fix everything before they can send it to auction.

Since you want to dump the car anyway, any amount you can get from VW reduces your "negative equity". There is no downside in contacting a lemon lawyer - just make sure that they specialize in VW. There are a lot of those out there.

I also assume that you've filed complaints with NHTSA
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-18-20)
Old 01-18-20, 09:55 PM
cuotfs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That white 2015 LX was as sold so we went to check out this GX which is what we are waiting on numbers to buy. I pulled the service history from that Lexus site. Thanks for that heads up.

This had to be owned by someone older because the dealer sold them like 3 sets of tires in 50k miles.

What should I try to pay for this certified gx?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

I just bought a 2016 GX Premium with 58k miles and L/Certified for 5 years for $32000 OTD as a comparison to what you're looking at there
Old 01-18-20, 10:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by cuotfs
I just bought a 2016 GX Premium with 58k miles and L/Certified for 5 years for $32000 OTD as a comparison to what you're looking at there
Did they increase L certified warranty limits? I thought it was remaining time of factory plus 2 yrs?
Old 01-18-20, 11:04 PM
cuotfs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Did they increase L certified warranty limits? I thought it was remaining time of factory plus 2 yrs?

Still 2 years but I bought 3 additional years for $1400 or $1800 (can't remember off the top of my head) giving me 5 years of unlimited mileage warranty
Old 01-19-20, 05:24 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cuotfs
thats a killer deal. Congrats on your new ride. What color?
Old 01-20-20, 06:57 PM
cuotfs
Driver School Candidate

thats a killer deal. Congrats on your new ride. What color?

The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 07:09 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

^^ Sport design too? Wow 32K OTD (Whatever your tax % is) is a great deal.
Old 01-20-20, 08:06 PM
cuotfs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
^^ Sport design too? Wow 32K OTD (Whatever your tax % is) is a great deal.
Not sure about the sport design but it does have F Type wheels which I really liked. Haven't seen any other GXs around town that have anything other than those stock wheels
so this gave me enough of a unique look to feel special
Sales tax in Michigan is 6%
Old 01-24-20, 06:41 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone.... Thanks again for the insight and opinions on my situation thus far.... Earlier I posted all of the issues Ive had with this atlas. Well I took it into VW for that coolant smell again because the "puke tank" was below the baseline sharpie mark they drew on it the last time. Got a loaner, and headed to work. Well as of yesterday AM they are tearing the engine apart and replacing the head gasket and a few other things internally because the scope showed coolant leaking on the cylinders!!! AT 35K MILES! I contacted the consumers affairs dept and oped a case with the state of SC. If that doesn't go anywhere I would have to look into hiring a lemon law attorney. At this point I am so mentally done with this thing I just want it gone! Once I get it back I will be scheduling an appt with carvana to see if they are serious abut the 30k offer. to be real, anything above 28k and Im taking it. I dont know what the basement is for this auto interns of resell value but Im sure I am going to be negative until the day its paid off. I truly believe I could triple payments for the rest of 2020 ( $1500/ mo) and I would still be in the hole this time next year when the warranty is almost expired. I may be better off with a new $40k loan for 48 months on a certified GX for around $800/ month and then Id make extra payments to pay it off early . I have never been in this position before and it sucks! Very expensive lesson to learn. man I HATE car notes!

On the GX460 side of things, this will be what we replace the atlas with. We are trying to decide if we really need the luxury package as the only thing we will use on the daily is the heated steering wheel. the suspension modes are not a big deal to us but we do like the power third row seat.

Also, do you guys think its worth the extra 4-8k to buy one with 25k less miles? I am seeing a few gx (all trims) in the 70ish mile range from 26-30k, and ones with under 50k miles for mid to high 30s.

Last edited by Yotaphan; 01-24-20 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party