GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 08:09 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Yotaphan
Hey everyone.... Thanks again for the insight and opinions on my situation thus far.... Earlier I posted all of the issues Ive had with this atlas. Well I took it into VW for that coolant smell again because the "puke tank" was below the baseline sharpie mark they drew on it the last time. Got a loaner, and headed to work. Well as of yesterday AM they are tearing the engine apart and replacing the head gasket and a few other things internally because the scope showed coolant leaking on the cylinders!!! AT 35K MILES! I contacted the consumers affairs dept and oped a case with the state of SC. If that doesn't go anywhere I would have to look into hiring a lemon law attorney. At this point I am so mentally done with this thing I just want it gone! Once I get it back I will be scheduling an appt with carvana to see if they are serious abut the 30k offer. to be real, anything above 28k and Im taking it. I dont know what the basement is for this auto interns of resell value but Im sure I am going to be negative until the day its paid off. I truly believe I could triple payments for the rest of 2020 ( $1500/ mo) and I would still be in the hole this time next year when the warranty is almost expired. I may be better off with a new $40k loan for 48 months on a certified GX for around $800/ month and then Id make extra payments to pay it off early . I have never been in this position before and it sucks! Very expensive lesson to learn. man I HATE car notes!

On the GX460 side of things, this will be what we replace the atlas with. We are trying to decide if we really need the luxury package as the only thing we will use on the daily is the heated steering wheel. the suspension modes are not a big deal to us but we do like the power third row seat.

Also, do you guys think its worth the extra 4-8k to buy one with 25k less miles? I am seeing a few gx (all trims) in the 70ish mile range from 26-30k, and ones with under 50k miles for mid to high 30s.
really sorry that you're dealing with this. an engine tear-down at 35k is ridiculous. regardless of the impact on resale value, I dont think i would want a car that had that significant kind of work so early in its life. maybe you should fight to have VW buy it back from you. im not sure that a head gasket replacement rises to the level of a 'lemon' but in conjunction with all your others issues, maybe it will.

i can understand why you'd be gun-shy at this point about higher mileage given the VW mess, but i think the GX is a different story. if you can find one with 70k miles and a stellar maintenance history, i would personally be comfortable with that. we've had such a good experience with my wife's GX, that just last week i bought a 2015 IS350 with 76k miles. it has a full service history from the original lexus dealer that sold it and drives like a new car. if you are exploring cars in that mileage, consider looking for one that still has even a sliver of the 6yr/70k powertrain warranty still available. that way, if anything seems out of the ordinary with drivability you have some coverage. keep in mind that the 6yr mark starts from the first date of use, which may be earlier than the model year (e.g. a 2015 model year could have been sold in mid/late 2014).
Old 01-24-20, 09:01 AM
Zivman
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

On the GX460 side of things, this will be what we replace the atlas with. We are trying to decide if we really need the luxury package as the only thing we will use on the daily is the heated steering wheel. the suspension modes are not a big deal to us but we do like the power third row seat.

Also, do you guys think its worth the extra 4-8k to buy one with 25k less miles? I am seeing a few gx (all trims) in the 70ish mile range from 26-30k, and ones with under 50k miles for mid to high 30s.
id opt for the luxury. In the used market, they didn't seem to be any more money than the lesser trims.

I'd think you should be 35k for 40-50k mile truck. I see plenty in the low 30's.. if you can find a clean 70k mile one for 26-27k, I'd probably go with that vs a 38-39k one with 40-50k miles. But again, I'd think you should find something with under 50k for 35k or less. Open up your searches to 2014+. Plenty of these trucks out there.
Old 01-24-20, 09:12 AM
Yotaphan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
id opt for the luxury. In the used market, they didn't seem to be any more money than the lesser trims.

I'd think you should be 35k for 40-50k mile truck. I see plenty in the low 30's.. if you can find a clean 70k mile one for 26-27k, I'd probably go with that vs a 38-39k one with 40-50k miles. But again, I'd think you should find something with under 50k for 35k or less. Open up your searches to 2014+. Plenty of these trucks out there.
Thanks for the insight... I keep eyeballing the 2016 certified luxury with 50k miles that I went to look at last weekend. They were at 35,400, plus a 700 "profit" fee - so 36,100 with taxes it would be basically 36,600 OTD. Carvana says they are offering 30k for the atlas but needed to make sure I could cover the $4800 in neg equity before they come to pick up so I just paid a that to VW this am. Might as well flushed 4800.00 down the toilet. Once the carvana deal goes through(hopefully) I will try to get that certified GX for 35-35,500 otd.

I just saw this 2014 luxury with 76k post online. asking 29,990. one owner NC car with every service record completed by the local lexus dealer. 70k mile also just completed before they traded it in. Im sure I could get this for around 27-28 otd

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Last edited by Yotaphan; 01-24-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 09:27 AM
Zivman
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the insight... I keep eyeballing the 2016 certified luxury with 50k miles that I went to look at last weekend. They were at 35,400, plus a 700 "profit" fee - so 36,100 with taxes it would be basically 36,600 OTD. Carvana says they are offering 30k for the atlas but needed to make sure I could cover the $4800 in neg equity before they come to pick up so I just paid a that to VW this am. Might as well flushed 4800.00 down the toilet. Once the carvana deal goes through(hopefully) I will try to get that certified GX for 35-35,500 otd.
Join some of the gx pages on FB. Lots of people post up trucks there they find. They seem to find a lot of great deals
The following 2 users liked this post by Zivman:
hadokenuh (01-24-20), Yotaphan (01-24-20)
Old 01-25-20, 09:09 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey everyone.... Thanks again for the insight and opinions on my situation thus far.... Earlier I posted all of the issues Ive had with this atlas. Well I took it into VW for that coolant smell again because the "puke tank" was below the baseline sharpie mark they drew on it the last time. Got a loaner, and headed to work. Well as of yesterday AM they are tearing the engine apart and replacing the head gasket and a few other things internally because the scope showed coolant leaking on the cylinders!!! AT 35K MILES! I contacted the consumers affairs dept and oped a case with the state of SC. If that doesn't go anywhere I would have to look into hiring a lemon law attorney. At this point I am so mentally done with this thing I just want it gone! Once I get it back I will be scheduling an appt with carvana to see if they are serious abut the 30k offer. to be real, anything above 28k and Im taking it. I dont know what the basement is for this auto interns of resell value but Im sure I am going to be negative until the day its paid off. I truly believe I could triple payments for the rest of 2020 ( $1500/ mo) and I would still be in the hole this time next year when the warranty is almost expired. I may be better off with a new $40k loan for 48 months on a certified GX for around $800/ month and then Id make extra payments to pay it off early . I have never been in this position before and it sucks! Very expensive lesson to learn. man I HATE car notes!

Drop everything that you are doing and call a lemon lawyer. Contrary to popular belief, they don't just do "lemon buy-backs" but most anything car related that'll make them (and you of course) some money.

If a lemon lawyer thinks you have some sort of a case, then the worst case scenario is that VW throws money at you. If you end up with 4 or 5k then that just "increased" your trade-in value.

But it is vital that you find a lawyer that works with VW regularly. They'll have the ear of the VW lawyer and can get a settlement pretty quickly.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (01-25-20)
Old 01-25-20, 10:36 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
Drop everything that you are doing and call a lemon lawyer. Contrary to popular belief, they don't just do "lemon buy-backs" but most anything car related that'll make them (and you of course) some money.

If a lemon lawyer thinks you have some sort of a case, then the worst case scenario is that VW throws money at you. If you end up with 4 or 5k then that just "increased" your trade-in value.

But it is vital that you find a lawyer that works with VW regularly. They'll have the ear of the VW lawyer and can get a settlement pretty quickly.
Good advice. I am sure you will be able to find many lawyers that have worked with VW
Old 01-26-20, 10:18 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Good advice. I am sure you will be able to find many lawyers that have worked with VW
When I had my issue with BMW, I found an attorney that worked regularly with the BMW lawyers. She sent a couple of emails and had an initial offer in short order. It took a while to get a check, but it was quite painless and my attorney adjusted her normal percentage downwards because it was fairly easy.
I probably could have held out for more money (or even a buyback), but I wanted to trade the car in and was happy with getting a very decent trade-in "addition" from BMW.

Old 01-27-20, 07:20 AM
Keirik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello! Keith from NY. New member here. In the market for a nice 18/19 gx luxury package so figured I’d join and pick everyone’s brains, say hello, and hopefully end up with a new car soon. Awesome looking site here. Coming from an Overland Grand Cherokee.
Old 01-28-20, 07:42 AM
pjongdi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Purchasing 2015 GX460 premium

Hello everyone. I'm in Canada.
I am planning to pull the trigger between two 2015 GX 460 premium but can't decide which one is better.
The first one is a black color (listed $40,700) with 75000+ kms, insurance claim of 2,000 cad (they said it is just front bumper), no more warranty (ended 2018), body and paint are 9/10 without dents, and NOT a Certified Pre Owned (not a Lexus dealership).
The second one is a CPO from Lexus Dealership (40,500), Red in Color, odometer reading is 95,000 kms, no accident, body and paint are 9/10, new tires, comprehensive warranty is expired but the powertrain warranty is until 110,000 kms or until 2021 (whichever comes first).
Which would you think is a better deal? What else do I need to be aware of/check ? And when will be the next big maintenance? Thank you in advance. 😊
Old 01-28-20, 12:51 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pjongdi
Hello everyone. I'm in Canada.
I am planning to pull the trigger between two 2015 GX 460 premium but can't decide which one is better.
The first one is a black color (listed $40,700) with 75000+ kms, insurance claim of 2,000 cad (they said it is just front bumper), no more warranty (ended 2018), body and paint are 9/10 without dents, and NOT a Certified Pre Owned (not a Lexus dealership).
The second one is a CPO from Lexus Dealership (40,500), Red in Color, odometer reading is 95,000 kms, no accident, body and paint are 9/10, new tires, comprehensive warranty is expired but the powertrain warranty is until 110,000 kms or until 2021 (whichever comes first).
Which would you think is a better deal? What else do I need to be aware of/check ? And when will be the next big maintenance? Thank you in advance. 😊
the CPO for sure. Price is the same and 59k miles (95k kms) is nothing

edit: unless you hate red
Old 01-28-20, 01:46 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JonGX
the CPO for sure. Price is the same and 59k miles (95k kms) is nothing

edit: unless you hate red
Agreed. Both are very low mileage (kilometerage?)
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 01:47 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

CPO all the way !!!
Old 01-29-20, 10:14 AM
BeachBum50
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance claim on the other truck makes it a slam dunk for the CPO.
Old 01-29-20, 11:41 AM
Material
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have more peace of mind with the CPO. These are very reliable vehicles, but things can happen. Go CPO.
Old 02-20-20, 03:02 PM
Woodyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you tell me more about the "lean issue" ?
I'm new to the forum and just purchased a 17 Luxury. I noticed on the passenger side inner fender well it has a very minor rub spot on the inner wheel liner near the runner board but nothing on the drivers side.
I purchased the GX from a Lexus dealer with 34k miles and it has the L Certified warranty and a clean car fax.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party