GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 11:47 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ksu1998
wow so I was thinking on selling mine for 22K at 87K miles...I am a base however. you will love these trucks.
Hi if still wanna sell the truck pls send me a Pm. I'm interested.
Old 04-25-17, 04:54 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys,
I had some issues that I posted about in my other thread, but I am loving this truck! It is so smooth, best car I have ever owned.
Only issue is that's bothering me is the middle row seats seem loose and rattle like crazy when going over bumps, and the fan makes a whining sound (AC or Heat). Anyone know if there is a way to tighten the seats in middle row? It's actually really annoying and makes the car feel like it's all rattling and falling apart
Old 04-25-17, 06:21 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Do they also rattle when they are in the down/stowed position?

I'd also see if rattle occurs in every front-back floor position. Remember they do slide... Have you look under them to see if anything is cause the rattle as well? Unlikely but you never know what previous owner had under there.

Last edited by Acrad; 04-25-17 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 07:12 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

The middle row seats should be tight in the base. I don't think that is your problem. Focus on the rattle and adjust parts. I have read here on a pesky rattle on the second row console. Put it up and down to test this. Like Acrad mentioned, you may find it with adjusting the seats.
Old 04-26-17, 12:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Here is another TSB that might be the cause of seat noise.

Last edited by Acrad; 02-27-20 at 02:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (04-26-17)
Old 04-28-17, 07:05 AM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear a noise coming from my rear 2011.

I'll have to pay closer attention, hopefully it's just the cargo cover or something simple.
Old 05-17-17, 01:02 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts
Lightbulb Looking to purchase preowned GX460 - could use a little advice

The wife and I have often considered a Lexus GX over the past few years, but have seemed to gone a different way each time. The wife's current ride is a 2010 Mercedes GL550 and we are fast-approaching 110k/miles, plus a new set of tires, maintenance, etc. We have owned it for around five years or so. It seems like a good time to review options.

I am advocating a pre-owned GX460 2014-2016 model year. The Luxury Package seems to be equipped similarly to our GL (heated/cooled seats, power third-row seats, etc.). So my questions are:
  • What differences might there be between Luxury Packaged units based on the year (again 2014, 2015 or 2016)? As an example, my current GS350 is a 2015 and has cross-traffic alerting...I am under the impression that this feature wasn't available on earlier model years. Plus my 2015 GS allows me full integration with the Enform app (I believe earlier models did not).
  • Air suspension: it has been somewhat of a maintenance "pig" with our MB, but we love the ride and off road capabilities. Yes, I have used her SUV at the deer lease on numerous occasions and always get a lot of laughs from my hunting buddies...but they have never been able to go anywhere in their Cherokee and/or pick up truck that I haven't been able to follow, lol. How reliable is the air suspension in the GX? Is there any way to purchase a Luxury Packaged vehicle without it?
  • Is there anything else I need to know?
  • Pre-owned Luxury GX vehicles with fairly low mileage AND a CPO warranty can be had for around $50K and Premium Packages ones are about $7,000 less. What better SUV could there possibly be for the money than the GX? I certainly cannot think of one!
Old 05-17-17, 02:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
The wife and I have often considered a Lexus GX over the past few years, but have seemed to gone a different way each time. The wife's current ride is a 2010 Mercedes GL550 and we are fast-approaching 110k/miles, plus a new set of tires, maintenance, etc. We have owned it for around five years or so. It seems like a good time to review options.

I am advocating a pre-owned GX460 2014-2016 model year. The Luxury Package seems to be equipped similarly to our GL (heated/cooled seats, power third-row seats, etc.). So my questions are:
  • What differences might there be between Luxury Packaged units based on the year (again 2014, 2015 or 2016)? As an example, my current GS350 is a 2015 and has cross-traffic alerting...I am under the impression that this feature wasn't available on earlier model years. Plus my 2015 GS allows me full integration with the Enform app (I believe earlier models did not).
  • Air suspension: it has been somewhat of a maintenance "pig" with our MB, but we love the ride and off road capabilities. Yes, I have used her SUV at the deer lease on numerous occasions and always get a lot of laughs from my hunting buddies...but they have never been able to go anywhere in their Cherokee and/or pick up truck that I haven't been able to follow, lol. How reliable is the air suspension in the GX? Is there any way to purchase a Luxury Packaged vehicle without it?
  • Pre-owned Luxury GX vehicles with fairly low mileage AND a CPO warranty can be had for around $50K and Premium Packages ones are about $7,000 less. What better SUV could there possibly be for the money than the GX? I certainly cannot think of one!
Have you driven the GX? It will feel slow compared to the GL450 and really slow compared to the GL550.
Old 05-17-17, 02:30 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

LOL, yes I know. It's the wife's ride and she is not as concerned about that as I would be. Her GL550 really moves out!

We need the utility of a SUV and are ready for something reliable (yes, all the Mercedes stories you heard about are true...at least for the GL series). Even if this means getting something with a little less performance/acceleration.
Old 05-17-17, 02:32 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Heck, look at my signature...I went from a BMW 550 M-sport to a Luxury Packaged GS350.
Old 05-17-17, 03:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just so you have these..

2014 brochure

2015 brochure

2016 brochure

I believe all models came with BSM as of 2014. I also think the adjust suspension and rear air shocks are standard on Luxury model.

Long term suspension reliability is up in the air. You do see a lot of posts on older 470 models but relatively few on 460 but bound to change as vehicles age. I have it on my '12 and quite happy so far as I tow and that rear air really keeps things nice and level. I also like to adjust the damping. Personal preference though. One less option to go wrong if you don't have it though.

Originally Posted by DallasDave
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (05-17-17)
Old 05-17-17, 08:41 PM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The big difference if you think about it will be. The GX is truck based, and drives that way, the GL is minvan based, and drives that way. The GX is ladder frame with a body on it. The GL is unibody, the GX has live axle in the rear, the GL is ( I believe independent rear). I don't think the GL has low range. And probably the GL is much more sportier to drive, and better "car like" manners. The GX is a lot more truck like manners. Work them hard, the GX will be happy and come back for more, work the GL the same way, and it will suffer proportionally, and show it.
Old 05-18-17, 05:38 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Personal preference, i would stay away from the air suspension setup. Unless you have to have adjustable shocks, which is nice, i prefer the standard setup better. Everything else is just what options you want. I do enjoy having the BSM and cross traffic alert because it is a big *** vehicle. Plus the pop open rear window is awesome. Not as awesome as a roll down window would be, but its something.
Old 05-18-17, 11:09 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I've reviewed the brochures (thanks ACRAD35751) and the model years seem to be identical. Heck even the brochures look alike. So am I to assume there are NO differences between Luxury Packaged units based on the years 2014, 2015 or 2016? I realize things like the DRIVER SUPPORT PACKAGE are add-ons. But a 2014 and a 2016 would be identical (both with Luxury Packages and no other added options)?
Old 05-18-17, 11:39 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm usually a used car buyer, but my experience was that it was not worth the discount to buy a CPO or lightly used GX. The resale was just too strong.
YMMV, but I definitely would compare. I was able to get around $5k knocked off the factory sticker price. To pay like 15% more to have a brand new car with a factory warranty just seemed like a smarter play to me.

I specifically went out of my way not to buy an air suspension model, which wasn't hard as those models had a lot of other equipment I wasn't interested in that raised the price too high anyway.

The GX definitely feels like a more "substantial" vehicle than the Mercedes GL. But I will say I LOVED the power the GL put down, it was like a big block muscle car. It also rode more like a sedan. But I HATED the "start/stop" feature.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party