GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 04:57 PM
mceagle555
Driver School Candidate

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
While Luxury might sound good (the numbers are certainly better), regardless of brand find out the mechanical status of both.

I know the GX is solid platform, but at the end of the day its a used car with X # of years on it. What good are semi anline seats or steel springs over air if the vehicle suffers from the coolant valley leaks lol?

Also check the lexus owners info on both vehicles where you can see a detailed service history.
I've probably checked about 30-40 different GX460s by looking at the Carfax and service history on the Lexus dealer sites. Both of the models I referenced in my initial post are super clean, all work done at dealership, no accidents, southern states, etc... essentially everything you'd look for.

This will be my daily driver and for a few adventure type things, but nothing more then fireroads. My gut is to go towards the 2013, since it is geographically closer, my preferred colors, and less to worry about with the air suspension. (I won't be towing often.) Plus, it is a single owner, opposed to two owners with the 2015. That being said, I technically think the 2015 is the "better deal."

Is the Mark Levinson sound system really that much better?
Old 03-22-20, 07:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mceagle555
I've probably checked about 30-40 different GX460s by looking at the Carfax and service history on the Lexus dealer sites. Both of the models I referenced in my initial post are super clean, all work done at dealership, no accidents, southern states, etc... essentially everything you'd look for.

This will be my daily driver and for a few adventure type things, but nothing more then fireroads. My gut is to go towards the 2013, since it is geographically closer, my preferred colors, and less to worry about with the air suspension. (I won't be towing often.) Plus, it is a single owner, opposed to two owners with the 2015. That being said, I technically think the 2015 is the "better deal."

Is the Mark Levinson sound system really that much better?
If you feel you have done your due diligence, then I`d say the 15s a better deal purely on option wise. The ML is a personal preference, which only your own ears can tell the difference on with your personal audio collection (if you stick to spotify or pandora as your main source of audio your not gonna miss ML, if you stick to high quality CDs or use Tidal with their full fidelty audio files then yup you`ll probably get the most out of the system).

In terms of mods while the rear air is not a huge loss in terms of potential, you do have to contend with long term reliability (not too many folks though have complained of leaky air bags). and suppose you do switch to an aftermarket lift kit the 13s would be easier to work with.

In regards to highway miles vs non highway miles, I`m not a believer in that at all. I`m more interested in the basics...

1) Were all required services done?
2) Did the previous owners believe in lifetime nonsense that Mfgs put out or did they proactively service everything?
3) Paint meter on all body panels to asses the thickeness of the paint
4) Any driveline vibrations or noises
5) Any aftermarket electrical additions?
6) Check all the fluids before and after the test drive on the highway and stop and go traffic
7) Check the exhaust and area above the exhaust for any oily residues
8) Any pending or current codes?
9) Prefer a noncleaned engine bay to check for leaks
10) How is the underside, surface rust or clean
11) All the switches and electronics inside working

Thats it.

Last edited by coolsaber; 03-22-20 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lexusimon (04-28-20)
Old 03-22-20, 08:57 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
Totally agree with you. Just wonderjng is the coolant valley leak a common issue on GX ? I didnt hear about it before so I assume it is not
The coolant valley leak is common on the UR engines. I was having dejavu after having owned an IS-F. Seems like the gasket Lexus used starts wearing out around the mileage of the GX’s the OP is looking at. If your have mystery coolant lost from the reservoir and your water pump or radiator isn’t leaking more than likely you have a valley plate leak.
Old 03-22-20, 10:54 PM
NolanCamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on 161 Point Inspection for CPO Lexus

So I recently bought a 2017 Lexus GX 460 on Monday evening at Lexus of Woodland Hills. Took a look at everything I could with low light visibility. Finalized the deal took the car home. It’s been raining in So Cal so I haven’t been able to take a closer look at the car. Today the weather was decent and was able to inspect the car. I noticed the the passenger side running board/side step was not bolted down in the rear since the plastic is broken. So when stepped in it drops a little since the hole is no longer holding it up. I’m not sure if you guys under stand that. Think about a car side skirt it’s usually mounted in the front and rear with pre drilled holes. The rear is now U shaped meaning the bolt will not hold it in place if that makes any sense. I also noticed tools missing from spare tool compartment which could be vital to changing flat tire. My question is, is this something that should have been caught and fixed during the 161 point inspection? I’m trying to see if It will be a waste of time disputing it. Any advice?******* ****** word counter

Last edited by NolanCamer; 03-24-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 11:57 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by NolanCamer
So I recently bought a 2017 Lexus GX 460 on Monday evening at Lexus of Woodland Hills. Took a look at everything I could with low light visibility. Finalized the deal took the car home. It’s been raining in So Cal so I haven’t been able to take a closer look at the car. Today the weather was decent and was able to inspect the car. I noticed the the passenger side running board/side step was not bolted down in the rear since the plastic is broken. So when stepped in it drops a little since the hole is no longer holding it up. I’m not sure if you guys under stand that. Think about a car side skirt it’s usually mounted in the front and rear with pre drilled holes. The rear is now U shaped meaning the bolt will not hold it in place if that makes any sense. I also noticed tools missing from spare tool compartment which could be vital to changing flat tire. My question is, is this something that should have been caught and fixed during the 161 point inspection? I’m trying to see if It will be a waste of time disputing it. Any advice?
Sounds like you don't have a list of the 161 points. Maybe check Lexus of Woodland Hills website and see if they have one. My experience with used cars is normally "NO warranty, expressed nor implied".

Tire tools missing are frustrating but easily replaced, by you.

Last edited by Supra Dr; 03-23-20 at 06:50 PM. Reason: unneeded after move
Old 03-23-20, 04:48 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking to purchase 2013-2016 GX460

I currently own a 2004 LS430 and 2008 ES350. Love both cars, especially the LS. Reliability and ease of DIY repairs are the top 2 reasons I prefer the Lexus brand.

Wife wants an SUV for next daily driver, and of course, Lexus is my first choice. The GX seems to be a no brainer, but the most reliable production year is my issue. I won't buy new, and have been looking at model years 2013-2016. Either year is a huge upgrade in technology, so more bells and whistles aren't a huge factor in my decision. Reliability and lack of constant small repairs are biggest considerations. I would prefer non-air suspension. I know the exterior changes between 13 and 14 are a factor for some, but not for me.

For the years I'm considering, which model year should provide the best reliability and lowest maintenance costs?
Old 03-23-20, 05:45 AM
natehack
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As I’m sure you know, future maintenance costs are generally determined by previous maintenance completed!

For the years suggested, there are some recalls out for SAIS and airbag(s). I believe for the 2014 there is a fuel pump issue rearing it’s head and a recall is in the works. These are all free to repair, but time spent at the dealer is a cost.

We can’t help ourselves, we love our 2013 Premium! Working on the truck has been easy. I have done all the deferred or unknown maintenance to get it up to date; spark plugs, throttle body clean, trans drain and fill x4 with factory level set. Even wear items are an easy fix with documented procedures; brakes, water pump, lock actuators.

Check this site out: https://lexusgxor.com/ The site will give you oodles of info about the GX platform.

You came to the right spot, a GX will give you a load of miles!
The following users liked this post:
lexusimon (04-28-20)
Old 03-23-20, 06:22 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

"Which model year should provide the best reliability and lowest maintenance costs?" If there was an app to answer this question someone would be rich!... haha

I would look for one that has the factory bumper to bumper and/or at least the powertrain warranty remaining (at least for a couple months after taking ownership, just in case).

Lexus and the GX are notoriously reliable vehicles, however stuff does break and having a powertrain warranty would eliminate most major repair bills once under it and start wrenching on it, in the event you discover a leak...

I would also sign up for a lexus owners account if you already don't have one and input the prospective VIN to your garage to see if there are any maintenance records on it (that maybe the carfax doesn't show).
Owners who do their own maintenance (like most on this forum) generally keep their own records or input it on this site themselves.

Other than that, look for a rust free, accident free GX with maintenance records you feel comfortable with and pull the trigger... Happy wife, Happy life.
(Whatever you buy, unless the maintenance records are immaculate, I would factor in to your offer base lining all the fluids (engine, diffs, tc, power steering, brakes, tranny), lubing the driveshaft zerks, new battery (if not already replaced), assume it needs new rotors and pads (unless obviously new/ recently replaced), change cabin and engine air filter, depending on age and miles change the spark plugs, check the tread left on the tires and lastly ensure 4L and and all the interior buttons work as designed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-changes.html
Old 03-23-20, 07:24 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Why people in this forum don't bother doing search on this before posting the same topic over and over?! This topic is repeated on weekly basis.
Old 03-23-20, 08:35 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
Why people in this forum don't bother doing search on this before posting the same topic over and over?! This topic is repeated on weekly basis.
Thank you for your input. I expected at least one person to chime in with this response.

Various searches have been done, and many more will follow. With as much info available on this site, it often doesn't get updated to present time, which can leave out the progression of issues for various model years.
Old 03-23-20, 09:36 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Not that it sounds like it will matter for how you are going to use it, but I think '10-13 has slightly better approach angle. Also, can you test drive at night? I find the low beams for my '13 GX are not really very bright - I think '14+ are brighter(?).
Old 03-23-20, 11:31 AM
mceagle555
Driver School Candidate

Been negotiating with dealerships a bit on price. Here is currently where things stand. Curious everyone's thoughts. I think I am leaning more towards the 2015 given the lower miles, 2 years less wear on seals, etc...
  • 2013 GX460 base w/ Comfort Plus - $17,000
    • 129,000 miles
    • One owner (southern states)
    • Clean Carfax - All work done @ local Lexus
    • New Michelins
  • 2015 GX460 Luxury - $22,800
    • 97,000 miles
    • Two owners (southern states)
    • Clean Carfax - All work done @ Lexus
    • Appears to be mostly highway miles
Old 03-23-20, 12:11 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mceagle555
Been negotiating with dealerships a bit on price. Here is currently where things stand. Curious everyone's thoughts. I think I am leaning more towards the 2015 given the lower miles, 2 years less wear on seals, etc...
  • 2013 GX460 base w/ Comfort Plus - $17,000
    • 129,000 miles
    • One owner (southern states)
    • Clean Carfax - All work done @ local Lexus
    • New Michelins
  • 2015 GX460 Luxury - $22,800
    • 97,000 miles
    • Two owners (southern states)
    • Clean Carfax - All work done @ Lexus
    • Appears to be mostly highway miles
Will you need to replace tires on the '15? What about breaks, have both GX's had them been done recently? Prob just going to be up to what you like/want. The '15 is about 34% more expensive, but is about two years less in both age and mileage use.
Old 03-23-20, 05:08 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2nd post on this thread: Get the Luxury. The negotiated price looks good. You are buying a used one, get the fully loaded. The Luxury comes with the adjustable rear suspension that helps with the ride comfort for 2nd and 3rd rows. Not to mention other features over the base model.

With the current (unfortunate) coronavius situation though, dealers might be more motivated than before. You might be able to get them to go lower. Just a thought.
Old 03-23-20, 05:30 PM
mceagle555
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
My 2nd post on this thread: Get the Luxury. The negotiated price looks good. You are buying a used one, get the fully loaded. The Luxury comes with the adjustable rear suspension that helps with the ride comfort for 2nd and 3rd rows. Not to mention other features over the base model.

With the current (unfortunate) coronavius situation though, dealers might be more motivated than before. You might be able to get them to go lower. Just a thought.
So get this...I was ready to pull the trigger and put down a deposit on the 2015 Luxury. I called in for the write-up and they tacked on a $1,295 "protection package" that included free carwash for 2 years, 3 free oil changes, and paint proctection. I said "Ummm...how does this benefit someone who lives 500 miles away?" They shrugged...

Needless to say, I'll save my $$$ and go with the 2013 locally
The following 3 users liked this post by mceagle555:
coolsaber (03-25-20), hadokenuh (03-23-20), LuxDreamer (04-16-20)

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party