GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 06:19 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mceagle555
So get this...I was ready to pull the trigger and put down a deposit on the 2015 Luxury. I called in for the write-up and they tacked on a $1,295 "protection package" that included free carwash for 2 years, 3 free oil changes, and paint proctection. I said "Ummm...how does this benefit someone who lives 500 miles away?" They shrugged...

Needless to say, I'll save my $$$ and go with the 2013 locally
Bait and switch. Don't we all hate it. Good luck with them selling the GX like that in this kind of market.

I'd still hold off on buying the base. Try to find a nice used Luxury locally. I bought a 2019 brand new last year. If I had to do again, I'd hold off and buy a slightly used Luxury for the same $. I love my current GX but if an opportunity arises, I'll switch to a Luxury.
The following users liked this post:
mceagle555 (03-23-20)
Old 03-24-20, 08:53 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

They don't actually check everything. It's just a marketing ploy. I would go back though and give them the opportunity to make things right.
hadokenuh (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 09:01 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
They don't actually check everything. It's just a marketing ploy. I would go back though and give them the opportunity to make things right.
Exactly, It is just marketing thing from Lexus but to answer your question, no this is not part of 161 inspection that they do. I would still ask them to fix it and fix anything that you don't see right immediately before they say you should have came back next day to fix it.
Old 03-24-20, 09:23 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The 161 point inspection is complete and total marketing BS...They did nothing except offer piece of mind and a warranty.
My CPO 2016 with 36k miles from Lexus of Seattle, had a chipped windshield, was low on brake fluid and antifreeze, overfilled on oil, had fruit stuck to the carpet underneath the passenger seat and the brakes are squealing after 3k miles. They obviously did no more than take it in off a lease, wash it and put it for sale on the lot.
Don't get me wrong its a great car, and I have the warranty, but the 161 point inspection is total BS.....JMHO
hadokenuh (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 10:23 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NolanCamer
So I recently bought a 2017 Lexus GX 460 on Monday evening at Lexus of Woodland Hills. Took a look at everything I could with low light visibility. Finalized the deal took the car home. It’s been raining in So Cal so I haven’t been able to take a closer look at the car. Today the weather was decent and was able to inspect the car. I noticed the the passenger side running board/side step was not bolted down in the rear since the plastic is broken. So when stepped in it drops a little since the hole is no longer holding it up. I’m not sure if you guys under stand that. Think about a car side skirt it’s usually mounted in the front and rear with pre drilled holes. The rear is now U shaped meaning the bolt will not hold it in place if that makes any sense. I also noticed tools missing from spare tool compartment which could be vital to changing flat tire. My question is, is this something that should have been caught and fixed during the 161 point inspection? I’m trying to see if It will be a waste of time disputing it. Any advice?
I'd call your salesman and bring the car in. Inspect everything else and have them fix them all at once. Take the "161 point inspection" as something they have to fill in the description box when they list the car lol.
Old 03-24-20, 10:39 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Just note that the tool kit has several blanks on it, so you might actually have a complete tool kit.

You can look at the actual check list and see for yourself what should be checked... https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf

Here is a more current version... https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf
Old 03-24-20, 01:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I'd call your salesman and bring the car in. Inspect everything else and have them fix them all at once. Take the "161 point inspection" as something they have to fill in the description box when they list the car lol.
I'd shop up and, how should I put it?...candidly discuss my issues with the service manager and GSM if necessary.

PO may have been shaky with body work as he knew he was dumping the car and didn't need a spooky Carfax, or Lexus service records. Speaking of which, did you get a copy of the service records from the dealer or Lexus.com's owners website? If not, IMO that' homework. Other than the so called "161 point inspection", did you do a pre-purchase inspection with a shop not a part to the sale? If not, a post-purchase agreement is homework...find a good indy shop and go there.

I have no idea of your state's bring-back policy.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-20, 02:21 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Most dealerships have the 161 point checklist. They give a blank checklist to the 18 year old kid that washes (i.e. scratches) the car and tell him to check the car out.

The flunky walks around the car once and goes into the breakroom to drink a soda (or maybe a beer). While he's having his drink, he checks off the blocks. For those sections that require numbers, he makes them up.

A half hour later he walks up to the used car guy, hands him (almost always a he) the form and says "all done".
Old 03-25-20, 08:54 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Congrats! Post some pics and of course keep up updated on the mods!
Old 03-25-20, 12:05 PM
wowmiata
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GX 460 Base - WTB

Hey all,

I’m looking at a 2014 GX with 98k miles on it. From what I can tell on the Carfax, the maintenance has been maintained very well at a local dealership to me (90 minute drive).
I ideally want to end up in an LX but this seems like the perfect vehicle to bridge the gap.

I have provided the link for the ad, it seems reasonably priced but I know nothing about this engine and don’t know if 100k miles is just broken in as the proven 5.7 on the 200 series and the LX.

Would love some feedback as to whether I should pass or pull the trigger.

https://www.downtownmotorsports.com/...X-460-4WD-4dr/

Old 03-25-20, 12:39 PM
wowmiata
Driver School Candidate

Also - I’m going to look at it this afternoon, anything specific I should try to look at?
interior seems clean and I can’t see anything (leaks or otherwise) from the topside of the engine, I may get under it today and take a peak.

Anyways, thanks for the help!
Happy wheeling!
Old 03-25-20, 04:28 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Did you check it out?
Old 03-25-20, 04:36 PM
wowmiata
Driver School Candidate

Yes - everything looks good. Going to sleep on it for a few days and do some research. It’s very clean interior.
Only thing that stands out to me that makes me nervous about the car is, under a lot of the panels and in the panel gaps, there’s almost like a mold or mildew. Like it sat for a real long time.
It all looks like a thorough detail will clean it up, but makes me hesitant.

That and it has been in one accident and the paint respray isn’t the best.

If I proceed, I’d certainly look under it before buying.

100k miles just broken in?? It didn’t have any weird sounds and it drives fine.
TPS sensor is on, I’d imagine one corner is out. All tires were to correct pressure.
Brake pedal soft, but brakes felt fine. Feels like that was just the feel of the pedal.

any feedback or advice based on the provided info?
Old 03-25-20, 04:54 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by wowmiata
Yes - everything looks good. Going to sleep on it for a few days and do some research. It’s very clean interior.
Only thing that stands out to me that makes me nervous about the car is, under a lot of the panels and in the panel gaps, there’s almost like a mold or mildew. Like it sat for a real long time.
It all looks like a thorough detail will clean it up, but makes me hesitant.

That and it has been in one accident and the paint respray isn’t the best.

If I proceed, I’d certainly look under it before buying.

100k miles just broken in?? It didn’t have any weird sounds and it drives fine.
TPS sensor is on, I’d imagine one corner is out. All tires were to correct pressure.
Brake pedal soft, but brakes felt fine. Feels like that was just the feel of the pedal.

any feedback or advice based on the provided info?
Get CarFax would be the first step I will do. Also check the VIN at Lexus for service records.
Old 03-25-20, 05:27 PM
wowmiata
Driver School Candidate

The dealership provides a Carfax. It shows a good maintenance record from the dealership it was bought at up until 70k miles or so.
then it shows a good history of service until now but at a different shop.

it has one accident but it was minor, and airbags didn’t deploy. Not sure what all was involved.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party