GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 02:06 PM
mceagle555
Driver School Candidate

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2010 GX460 Premium - 150k - One Owner - Two Questions

Found what I think is a good deal on a 2010 Lexus GX460 Premium. Details are below:
  • 2010 Lexus GX Premium - $14,800
  • 153,000 miles
  • 1-owner southern state
  • New Michelin Tires
  • All recommended Lexus maintenance done at original dealership on time
  • No accidents. 100% clean Carfax
  • Transmission fluid has never been changed
Two questions for the forum:

1. Is this a good deal? (Would be a second car, daily driver, & project car. My other vehicle is an F150)
2. Would you change the transmission fluid at 150k for the first time, or just leave it be?

Thanks all! Stay safe out there with the quarantine!
Old 03-28-20, 02:32 PM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't believe that the trans fluid ("lifetime" or not) is still anywhere comparable to new fluid. Get an estimate for a transmission rebuild and add it to the price of the car - if it still looks like a good deal, go for it.
Old 03-28-20, 02:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojlnir
I can't believe that the trans fluid ("lifetime" or not) is still anywhere comparable to new fluid. Get an estimate for a transmission rebuild and add it to the price of the car - if it still looks like a good deal, go for it.
That's not going to work out as it will be deemed as unnecessary.
Old 03-28-20, 03:00 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Just do 3 drain and fills on the tranny... if it shifts fine when you test drive, everything works, and there no major rust or leaks, go for it at 11,999.
Old 03-29-20, 06:57 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought a 2014 luxury with 42k at the end of 2018 that had lived its whole life in the greater Chicago area. Lots of salt/snow etc.

only very minor surface rust.
Old 03-29-20, 07:51 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

I grew up in the rust belt, lived there for 10 years as an adult... I will never, ever buy a used vehicle from this area. it's simply not worth it, you may get lucky and find an owner that performed undercarriage treatment to prevent rust, but it's not likely.
Find a GX from northern TX (not salty air, relatively dry climate, no road treatments... the only thing you need to be aware of is hail damage but this is rare)... lots of powder puffs down here that drive to the grocery store.
Old 03-31-20, 02:46 PM
jakemccurd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought:
2010 Premium 140K 1-owner, all Lexus service every 5K.
$14,500
OK car with no rust, but it was smoked in and smelled like sh!+ before I had it detailed and bombed. The bomb made her smell so rose-y that we decided to name her Rosie. I had to fix a few things like the dimming side view mirrors which had failed and fogged but no regrets so far.
Happy to report that smell has dissipated : )
The following 2 users liked this post by jakemccurd:
mceagle555 (04-11-20), nuclearn8 (03-31-20)
Old 04-01-20, 10:37 AM
ATCRich
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me, I'd prefer to purchase a non-rust belt vehicle. Having been raised up north, I remember how harsh the salt was even on a paint job!! Seems like you should have plenty of choices in southern states!
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 12:27 PM
JasonF
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It depends on how the locality treats ice/snow. We had an '06 GX when we lived in NJ and a combination of somewhat mild winters and not a lot of salt used on the roads was good to the car. On the other hand, my brother lives in New Hampshire and cars there get destroyed by the amount of salt used on the roads. In fact, the front 5 feet of his lawn is always dead because of the salt application. In addition, I bought a 911 from Rhode Island that had a bit of rust too.

We now live in Los Angeles and if I was looking for a used car, would pick something up from SoCal or the southwest. Very little rain and zero snow...my neighbor has a '68 Mustang as a daily driver and the undercarriage is super-clean and has zero body rust: it's parked outside (and has been for years) and this was from the pre-galvanization era to boot!
Old 04-11-20, 06:43 AM
cploy
Driver School Candidate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

After watching all the GX460 videos that I can find on Youtube, finally I pulled the trigger. Just put down the depoist and will be picking up a 2019 Lexus CPO Luxury Trim Sport package with less than 3K miles for $50,500 next week. Original sticker was almost $70K. I have been struggling between new 2020 Premium vs. this 2019 loaded CPO. I have a LS460L for 9 years and I still fall in love with it every time I get into the car. I know the quality of the V8, for 9 year just add gas and oil change. Absolutely bullet proof. I also enjoy the Mark Levinson sounds and the best leather seats in the car market. 2020 Premium is missing Mark Levinson and the leather seats options. Furthermore I can't believe Lexus removed the folding side mirrors features in 2020 Premium and made it for Luxury only. It pushes me to the Luxury trim which is a big $$$ jump from the Premium. Luckily I was able to locate a super low mile CPO. Can't wait to pick it up next week.
The following 5 users liked this post by cploy:
csrpenfab (04-12-20), gartotron (04-17-20), Lavrishevo (04-12-20), LuxDreamer (04-16-20), nuclearn8 (04-11-20)
Old 04-14-20, 09:16 AM
jcn313
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Private Seller Potential Purchase

Hi Everyone,
I'm interested in purchasing a 2016+ Lexus GX via a private seller. I'm interested in dealer L/Certified as well, but private prices seem a bit more reasonable. My question is what exactly should I be looking for in a private Lexus vehicle purchase and what questions should I ask? Do you have advice on if the vehicle should have an independent mechanic to look it over or does Lexus allow for a dealer inspection appointment (paid of course)?

I'm thinking it's important to have any service records available, their service dealership/service center location, a CarFax - but is there anything specific to MY 16 and 17 GX vehicles I should watch out for?

I'm based in Detroit and am willing to travel (once we're allowed and it's safe). I've found a fair number of vehicles south of us (Indiana, etc) that don't seem to have as harsh of roads/winter wear as Detroit. Since we can't travel/purchase right this moment due to COVID and me needing to turn in or cheaply (temporarily) buy out my garbage Jeep Grand Cherokee lease in August, i'm willing to wait.

Apologies if this has been posted, I couldn't seem to find it. It would be my first private purchase vs dealer so I want to make sure I poll the class and get all the information I can to ensure I don't get myself into trouble.

Thank you!
Old 04-14-20, 09:29 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn313
Hi Everyone,
I'm interested in purchasing a 2016+ Lexus GX via a private seller. I'm interested in dealer L/Certified as well, but private prices seem a bit more reasonable. My question is what exactly should I be looking for in a private Lexus vehicle purchase and what questions should I ask? Do you have advice on if the vehicle should have an independent mechanic to look it over or does Lexus allow for a dealer inspection appointment (paid of course)?

I'm thinking it's important to have any service records available, their service dealership/service center location, a CarFax - but is there anything specific to MY 16 and 17 GX vehicles I should watch out for?

I'm based in Detroit and am willing to travel (once we're allowed and it's safe). I've found a fair number of vehicles south of us (Indiana, etc) that don't seem to have as harsh of roads/winter wear as Detroit. Since we can't travel/purchase right this moment due to COVID and me needing to turn in or cheaply (temporarily) buy out my garbage Jeep Grand Cherokee lease in August, i'm willing to wait.

Apologies if this has been posted, I couldn't seem to find it. It would be my first private purchase vs dealer so I want to make sure I poll the class and get all the information I can to ensure I don't get myself into trouble.

Thank you!
Other than usual CarFax and service records, find an independent shop for a detail inspection is always a good idea. Make sure all the recall has been taking care of as well. You should be able to find a list of those via official site.
jcn313 (04-14-20)
Old 04-14-20, 09:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Join Lexus Drivers website. You can enter the Vin and get the full dealer service history unless the vehicle was already registered by the previous owner. I have found much more often than not the vehicle has not been registered.
jcn313 (04-14-20)
Old 04-14-20, 09:51 AM
mceagle555
Driver School Candidate

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts

Just bought my 2010 GX460 Premium after going through thorough process of reviewing things myself. Here is my checklist:
  1. Sign up for a Lexus Owners account. Add the VIN of your potential GX to your "Lexus Owners Garage." Check the service history there.
  2. Only consider items with a clean (no accident, no damage reported) Carfax.
  3. Don't accept the crappy "autocheck" as a replacement for Carfax (Carfax shows more)
  4. If all maintenance was not done at Lexus dealer, then put Lexus service history and Carfax side my side to see if there are any large (10,000+ mile gaps) in service history.
Since you are looking at a 2016+ GX460 and there is a large amount of them likely available, I would personally only look for:
  • One owner
  • Southern states (VA, TN, NC, SC, FL, AL, MS, TX)
  • All maintenance done at Lexus dealer

If you were looking at a 2010+, then my answer above would change to include 2 owner, some maintenance done elsewhere.

Other tips:
  • Don't value tires too much. Needing new tires is a good thing, as it gives you bargaining power and then you get the tires you actually want.
  • Did the previous owner have a family? If yes, more chance of wear on backseats, crumbs, etc....
  • Don't settle on color. Get what you want.
The following 3 users liked this post by mceagle555:
Cuervofrog (09-30-20), jcn313 (04-14-20), WRD4chano (04-14-20)
Old 04-14-20, 11:41 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mceagle555
Just bought my 2010 GX460 Premium after going through thorough process of reviewing things myself. Here is my checklist:
  1. Sign up for a Lexus Owners account. Add the VIN of your potential GX to your "Lexus Owners Garage." Check the service history there.
  2. Only consider items with a clean (no accident, no damage reported) Carfax.
  3. Don't accept the crappy "autocheck" as a replacement for Carfax (Carfax shows more)
  4. If all maintenance was not done at Lexus dealer, then put Lexus service history and Carfax side my side to see if there are any large (10,000+ mile gaps) in service history.
Since you are looking at a 2016+ GX460 and there is a large amount of them likely available, I would personally only look for:
  • One owner
  • Southern states (VA, TN, NC, SC, FL, AL, MS, TX)
  • All maintenance done at Lexus dealer

If you were looking at a 2010+, then my answer above would change to include 2 owner, some maintenance done elsewhere.

Other tips:
  • Don't value tires too much. Needing new tires is a good thing, as it gives you bargaining power and then you get the tires you actually want.
  • Did the previous owner have a family? If yes, more chance of wear on backseats, crumbs, etc....
  • Don't settle on color. Get what you want.
outstanding information!

OP I see you're from MI, apart from getting on a lift and getting a good look under it, check under all doors for rust. I live in MA and was a bit disappointed when I found some on my barn door after purchase.

best of luck!

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party