GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 08:32 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

The GX can certainly do what you want but its probably going to be a little tight with 3 dogs and a baby. I have two 60 lb dogs and a 3 year old and if we load everyone up there is little room left for stuff. If you wanna bring the kid's stridder bike or stroller or whatever, you are gunna be really cramming things in there. My wife and I are always out snowshoeing, biking, etc and it's not great for that stuff. You might consider a roof cargo box.

That said, with 2-3 kids total, you are going to be absolutely cramped in the GX. when the 3rd row seats are up there is essentially zero space for anything in the cargo area. Where are you gunna put diaper bags, toys, snacks, bottles, strollers, etc etc etc? At least with a Tahoe/Suburban sized vehicle, you have space behind the 3rd row for the dogs or whatever else you are toting along.

When we were initially looking for a new vehicle to replace my 2006 Liberty CRD that sent a con-rod through the engine block, we started cross shopping the 05-07 Toyota Sequoia(because updated 4.7L and the torsen diff in the transfer case like the GX), GX470 and GX460. I would say that my wife and I both really liked the Sequoia and the only reason we did not buy one was because I already own a 2014 F150 Supercrew long bed that's about the size of the Titanic. I have a garage with double door and a single door. The F150 has to go on the double door side and the Sequoia would have been a tight fit on the single door side. Looking at it and driving it, however, is much different and it feels smaller than it is. The 2nd Gen Sequoia certainly looks bigger, but I do not think that is actually true. It's the body lines.

Also, look at the wheelbase of a JKU or JLU. JKU is 116" wheebase while a JLU is 118.4". That's big. The Tahoe/Sequoia/Expedition are all in the 116-119" range. The reality is they are not much bigger than what your wife is driving and can probably maneuver similarly well. total Width would be a difference, but having had Tahoes, Suburbans, and Expedition EL's(the bigger one) as rental cars, they are not bad to drive. I mean I drive a supercrew F150 with a 157" wheelbase and its rarely an issue.

Or, gasp, maybe you should consider a minivan!

Last edited by skrypj; 05-14-20 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 09:21 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

+100 for the minivan. If you already have a wrangler, minivan sounds perfect. Acres of space, super easy and comfy driving for long trips. Great for larger cargo. Whats not to like.
Old 05-14-20, 09:26 AM
crazymjb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The practicality and affordability of minivans is unfortunate -- because I'll never buy one! My wife won't drive one. I don't want one. AWD is a requirement which limits the options anyway. We like cars, car people don't like minivans unless they are overly practical people, which we are not.

My wife isn't concerned about being able to drive a larger car, in fact she has experience driving larger commercial vehicles, looking around our current neighborhood she would just prefer to avoid the suburban/expedition MAX, etc, a little longer. A 2nd kid might happen in the next couple years, but I think a 3rd is 5+ years out. While we have 3 dogs, at that point we'll probably be down to 2. For longer road trips we are accustom to using a receiver hitch cargo carrier. Not ideal, but actually a pretty solid invention.

The things pushing me to go from the JKU to the GX460 are as follows, and please let me know if you think I am way off here.
1. Rear air vents for the baby (we are in AL for a year, and it's going to get HOT for us New Englanders)
2. Comfort for longer trips for all passengers
3. Second row passenger space/carseat space. Can anyone confirm that 1. adults are comfortable in the 2nd row (unlike the Wrangler) and 2. that a carseat can fit while still allowing the first row seats to slid back?
4. An actual tow rating above 3000 lbs
5. A functional 3rd row when needed/captains chairs so the doggos can move about the cabin
6. Still very all-terrain capable/able to be made into a sweet mall crawler/confidently drive on the beach/to campgrounds

Also, odd request: Do any of you live in/near lower Alabama? The closest lexus dealership is 100 miles from here and I've only found 1 at a used car dealership. I want my wife to be able to test drive/check out her options.
Old 05-14-20, 10:58 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crazymjb
The practicality and affordability of minivans is unfortunate -- because I'll never buy one! My wife won't drive one. I don't want one. AWD is a requirement which limits the options anyway. We like cars, car people don't like minivans unless they are overly practical people, which we are not.

My wife isn't concerned about being able to drive a larger car, in fact she has experience driving larger commercial vehicles, looking around our current neighborhood she would just prefer to avoid the suburban/expedition MAX, etc, a little longer. A 2nd kid might happen in the next couple years, but I think a 3rd is 5+ years out. While we have 3 dogs, at that point we'll probably be down to 2. For longer road trips we are accustom to using a receiver hitch cargo carrier. Not ideal, but actually a pretty solid invention.

The things pushing me to go from the JKU to the GX460 are as follows, and please let me know if you think I am way off here.
1. Rear air vents for the baby (we are in AL for a year, and it's going to get HOT for us New Englanders)
2. Comfort for longer trips for all passengers
3. Second row passenger space/carseat space. Can anyone confirm that 1. adults are comfortable in the 2nd row (unlike the Wrangler) and 2. that a carseat can fit while still allowing the first row seats to slid back?
4. An actual tow rating above 3000 lbs
5. A functional 3rd row when needed/captains chairs so the doggos can move about the cabin
6. Still very all-terrain capable/able to be made into a sweet mall crawler/confidently drive on the beach/to campgrounds

Also, odd request: Do any of you live in/near lower Alabama? The closest lexus dealership is 100 miles from here and I've only found 1 at a used car dealership. I want my wife to be able to test drive/check out her options.
I mean you seem to be convinced that your don't want a Tahoe sized vehicle even though it has the same wheelbase as the JKU. And you don't want a minivan. So I think the GX or 4 Runner is your best(although not great) option unless you can think of another solid rear axle mid-sized SUV that can take a lift and some tires.

The second row is fine. It slides and can even be made so that all three rows are relatively comfortable for me at 6' tall. The front seats have scallops taken out of the back of the seats for your knees so you can actually get the second row up close and still not have your knees in the back of drivers seat. Ultimately the problem is that you can't fit anything in the back once the 3rd row is up. The dogs will be riding on the roof or staying at home.

Last edited by skrypj; 05-14-20 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
crazymjb (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 11:00 AM
crazymjb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skrypj
I mean you seem to be convinced that your don't want a Tahoe sized vehicle even though it has the same wheelbase as the JKU. And you don't want a minivan. So I think the GX or 4 Runner is your best option unless you can think of another solid rear axle SUV that can take a lift and some tires.
Similarly equipped Tahoes seem to all be over the 40k mark, and also seem to not retain their value nearly as well.
Old 05-14-20, 11:37 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Similarly equipped Tahoes seem to all be over the 40k mark, and also seem to not retain their value nearly as well.
I wouldn't say that is true. The difference it a 2019 Lexus GX460 sells for MSRP it seems. I look locally and new GX's are listed within a $1000 of their MSRP. a $70,000 GX is listed for $70k on CarGurus.

A $73,000 2019 Tahoe is advertised at $59,000. If in two years both of those trucks are selling for about $40k with ~20,000 miles, which one depreciated more.

My fully loaded 2014 F150 Lariat MSRP'd at $57,000 and cost me $42k brand new and has basically everything the lexus GX has. And the Navigation screen isn't some archaic thing from the early 2000's I would say the Tahoes hold their value extremely well, as with all american trucks. They just sell them in a different way. You expect to go into a dealer and get 15-20% off of MSRP. A toyota you pay pretty close to MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by skrypj:
Cuervofrog (10-01-20), jkutti2000 (07-18-20)
Old 05-14-20, 04:34 PM
crazymjb
Driver School Candidate

Fair point.

Also, based off what I have been seeing, is my analysis correct in that the only way to get the radar cruise is to also have the package that includes the adaptive suspension?

On the "larger SUV" front, how are the QX80s? We rented the Nissan version on a family trip and really liked it. My father has a G37X which I'm also a big fan of, though it's 10 years old now.

Last edited by crazymjb; 05-14-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 05:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

crazymjb

2020 models have standard adaptive/radar cruise on all trims

'14-'19 Luxury w/Driver Support Package

'10-'13 Premium with long winded option packages.... they basically just named them with all the features.

EDIT: Still sporting my '07 G35x same platform (V36) as your father's G37X but with VQ35HR. Finally gonna change stock plugs in it shortly. While it is cool to see a Nissan Patrol here I can't tell you how many reviews I have seen that have complained about issues with the driving position, headroom, etc. The US patrol versions also lack most of the off-road pros they have elsewhere in the world.

Last edited by Acrad; 05-14-20 at 05:13 PM.
crazymjb (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 05:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Fair point.

Also, based off what I have been seeing, is my analysis correct in that the only way to get the radar cruise is to also have the package that includes the adaptive suspension?

On the "larger SUV" front, how are the QX80s? We rented the Nissan version on a family trip and really liked it. My father has a G37X which I'm also a big fan of, though it's 10 years old now.
Depends on year. The only sure way via web to is to see the ACC buttons on the steering wheel coupled with the glassy front emblem (Radar unit).

QX80 and by extension the Armada (Recent years) are good looks as they offer a ton more space for not that much money. Japan built and imported. The only issue you might face is NIssan quality (The engine early on had timing chain issues) and depreciation (which the latter is good for you).
crazymjb (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 06:53 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Agreed, Nissan and Inifnity overall quality is not so great. Expect items to fall apart and break much more often.
Old 05-15-20, 01:16 PM
crazymjb
Driver School Candidate

Went and looked at one today -- unfortunately I think some of ya'll were right. Too small. I liked the Tahoe, my wife liked the 2020 explorer, which is unfortunate if you don't want the anemic I4 and need AWD.

I also forgot that NOTHING on the lots in the south is 4WD/AWD unless its standard equipment, which is a pain in the ***.
Old 05-15-20, 01:33 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Went and looked at one today -- unfortunately I think some of ya'll were right. Too small. I liked the Tahoe, my wife liked the 2020 explorer, which is unfortunate if you don't want the anemic I4 and need AWD.

I also forgot that NOTHING on the lots in the south is 4WD/AWD unless its standard equipment, which is a pain in the ***.
Have fun Sequoia shopping
crazymjb (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 01:56 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

was the I4 in thr explorer the 2.3L ecoboost? If so thats the same drivetrain in the Ranger(2.3L plus 10 speed) and should be pretty stout. That and the ranger picks up like 30 rwhp just by running 93 octane on the stock tune.

thats the nice thing about the ford ecoboosts. Other than the Raptor and the mustang, all of their power ratings are on 87 octane and you can pick up a lot of power on any of then just by switching fuel since the are turbo’d and direct injected.
Old 05-15-20, 06:54 PM
12vrc
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Possible gx purchase questions

We are looking at a 19 gx 460 with 8500 miles It has the sport design package or an 18 gx 460 luxury with 22000. The 19 is more my speed. Straight forward truck with some nice creature comforts. I’m working on a price with the dealer. Our second option, the 18, has a lot more going on. Long term I feel like more could go wrong with the 18. How well does the adaptive suspension hold up over time? I believe it is the auto leveling suspension. The 19 has KDSS which I have read about more on the 4 runners. We are cross shopping limited 4runners and the gx. I didn’t test drive the gx today because it was getting close to closing time at the dealership. The salesman really wanted us to go for a drive. We are coming from an outback so I’m assuming the ride in the gx is going to be amazing. I really looking for some feed back on the gx.
Old 05-15-20, 07:59 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

Drive both and decide for yourself. Only you can decide, it's your money.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party