GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 06:36 PM
mbykow
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a 2014 Lux version with trailer hitch and 28K miles for about $45K. Love the ride after coming from a 4Runner. Also like the side opening tailgate....much easier to open. I have a question about the shocks----I have a control at the dash that can raise or lower the tail end. Shortly after I do that, it returns to normal (N). What exactly is this for? BTW--I love having the different suspensions but usually keep it in sport mode. Comf for long highway drives. And yes I can tell the difference.
Old 05-18-17, 08:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by mbykow
I got a 2014 Lux version with trailer hitch and 28K miles for about $45K. Love the ride after coming from a 4Runner. Also like the side opening tailgate....much easier to open. I have a question about the shocks----I have a control at the dash that can raise or lower the tail end. Shortly after I do that, it returns to normal (N). What exactly is this for? BTW--I love having the different suspensions but usually keep it in sport mode. Comf for long highway drives. And yes I can tell the difference.
IIRC... at about 18MPH it will reset to neutral/middle position. High is good for a little more clearance in rear off-road and low is good for little lower on exit or loading a trailer. It self levels if you have a heavy load onboard or put a trailer on there. Some time if you are going to load up with some heavy cargo that makes it squat some...put in low position before loading and when you start it up watch it raise the rear up.

IIRC... about 3 inches of total travel between high and low.... I can't remember the numbers offhand. I think H has more travel than L though.

Last edited by Acrad; 05-18-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 10:24 AM
cc4sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your questions have basically been answered, but let me throw in my $.02. My last vehicle was a 2010 GL350. The diesel had awesome torque even though starting from a dead-stop was not all that impressive.Still, you will notice the GX does not have nearly the torque and may feel a bit “sluggish” when comparing to a GL (even more so for the GL550). That being said, the GL was just a POS.I would never buy that brand again and in all likelihood, would never even buy European again.I traded to a 2014 GX Premium and have never been happier. A few things to note:
  • Your mileage will improve over the GL550, but fuel economy is still my biggest gripe with the GX (for me, about 15/19).
  • The GX is a full foot shorter than the GL. It may not feel like it, but read the specs for each. The vast majority comes with a shorter cargo/3rd row, so if cargo space is a big factor for you, do some research first.
  • The GX’s electronics are much easier and intuitive than the GL. GX uses a touchscreen where as my old GL did not (yours is probably the same)
  • The GX is much smoother and better build all the way around. I have had zero issues with the GX mechanically or otherwise…definitely was not the case for the GL.
  • Lexus service is not cheap, but definitely cheaper than MB (at least in my experience in LA/San Gabriel Valley).
  • I went from a CPO 2010 GL350 to a 2014 GX460. If money was no object, buying new would make sense, but for me, it made a difference. I went with a CPO GX and was really surprised at the value those things hold, i.e., the CPOs were still pretty expensive! I was also shocked that dealers were not very motivated to negotiate on these GXs. It took me months of looking, but finally found a deal I was happy with (did have to fly 350+ miles north to pick up the GX, then drove it back, which I was happy to do).

After getting rid of my GL, I had considered a few vehicles that were not mini-vans and had a 3rd row: GX, Infinity, Audi (even worse reliability reviews than GL, if that’s possible) and a few others. All things considered (with reliability at the top of my list), I went with the GX. I have had absolutely no regrets…only wish I had gotten the GX first and not having had to deal with the GL.

Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by cc4sc:
DallasDave (05-19-17), User21c (05-30-17)
Old 05-19-17, 01:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I hear ya on resale.... I didn't go CPO but I really lucked out and still can't find the deal I got for my very good condition pre-refresh Premium model @ $32K with just shy of 35k miles. I have another 2015 vehicle with more miles than this thing.

Originally Posted by cc4sc
. I went with a CPO GX and was really surprised at the value those things hold, i.e., the CPOs were still pretty expensive! I was also shocked that dealers were not very motivated to negotiate on these GXs. It took me months of looking, but finally found a deal I was happy with (did have to fly 350+ miles north to pick up the GX, then drove it back, which I was happy to do).
Old 05-19-17, 03:50 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, and absolutely agree with the comparisons between the GL and the GX. My experience with reliability and cost of repairs is consist with others, very expensive and unreliable. We are "done" with MB and will be for quite some time. We also realize there will be considerable differences between the 2010 GL and the newer GX (whether it's power, handling, ride, etc.). My wife and I are accepting of these differences. I'm sure she will have some complaints with the Lexus (she's not too fond of my 2015 GS anyway), but I'll remind her of the MB ownership: check engine light every year, sagging suspension, AC odors, $2,000 for tires every 14 months, $1,000 transmission service, oil leaks, etc., etc.

So, as we start to review pre-owned GX options I still am wondering: would a 2014 and a 2016 be identical (both with Luxury Packages and no other added options)? As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I went with the 2015 GS over 2014 (or older) due to advantages of the newer model: eight speed transmission (vs six speed), cross traffic alert (optional on the 2014, standard on 2015), full Enform compatibility (not so with 2014 and older), dual pane front side glass, etc. The Dealers seem to know VERY LITTLE about the specific details of their vehicles, so it's impossible for me to trust their input.
Old 05-19-17, 04:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This might help as well. Take a look at these docs. Bolded items are changes from previous model year.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...specs.download

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...specs.download

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...specs.download

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...tions.download
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
DallasDave (05-19-17), tecman (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 05:04 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Thank you. It seems that there are NO changes between the model years (except additional color options) and the Enform Remote. It appears that the Enform Remote is not available until 2016.
Old 05-28-17, 02:01 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Well it's official, we purchased a CPO 2015 GX460 with the Luxury Package yesterday. Silver with Ecru interior and about 22k/mi. Thanks again for all the input. We were sorry to see the MB go, but am happy to have moved on AND selected the GX. We also cross-shopped the Audi Q7 2014-2015 variety. But reliability reviews made me lean towards the Lexus.

We went with the 2015 over the 2014 (same model/options) due to the darker carpeting in the 2015. We never found a 2016 that was equipped the way we wanted it OR was in our price range. So unfortunately I'm told the Lexus Enform app isn't fully compatible with our unit. If someone has a 2015 that DOES have Enform capability (specifically remote start) please let me know.
Old 06-01-17, 07:49 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Pics of the new ride:

Old 06-01-17, 10:27 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Okay so we both have a GS and a GX now pickup 12" with FSports the other day.These trucks are sweet.
Attached Thumbnails Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions  - CPO / Dealers / Private Party-photo330.jpg   Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions  - CPO / Dealers / Private Party-photo650.jpg  
Old 06-13-17, 09:53 PM
mobawa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much ?

Hi Dallas Dave,

Congratulations on the new ride. How much did you end up paying for this GX ?

Thanks
Old 06-14-17, 06:51 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

$50,338 but you could say $49,338 as they gave me about $1,000 more for my trade-in than it was worth (after much haggling).
Old 06-14-17, 05:49 PM
mobawa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DallasDave
$50,338 but you could say $49,338 as they gave me about $1,000 more for my trade-in than it was worth (after much haggling).
Great. I am looking at this one.
http://www.fresnolexus.com/VehicleDe...-CA/2987196013

What do you think ?
Old 06-14-17, 06:37 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by mobawa
Great. I am looking at this one.
http://www.fresnolexus.com/VehicleDe...-CA/2987196013

What do you think ?
Is this a Lexus dealer that does not negotiate price? I have read that this causes over paying on the Car Chat forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-pricing.html
Old 09-18-17, 07:20 AM
Silvercott
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Considering a 2010 GX 460 Base

I've owned three previous Lexus (RX's) and now looking at a 2010 GX 460 Base with 99K. What issues should I focus on when reviewing this vehicle and what immediate costs should I factor into my offer. He's asking $21.5. It's been in NY and Chicago. I need the 4WD for my steep driveway in Minnesnowta.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party