GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 01:38 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by supra725
Anybody have luck finding an cpo with sport package and captains chair?
will be cheaper if you find one with sport package and captain chairs that not CPO, but still has some factory warranty remaining... CPO is a total ripoff if the vehicle is still under factory warranty. All it does is add to the price unnecessarily.
Old 05-19-20, 01:48 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
will be cheaper if you find one with sport package and captain chairs that not CPO, but still has some factory warranty remaining... CPO is a total ripoff if the vehicle is still under factory warranty. All it does is add to the price unnecessarily.
Doesn't CPO add two years to the existing warranty - plus bump the mileage coverage to unlimited during those 2 years? I guess you could find the price difference between CPO and non, and then estimate if it was worth it to you I guess.
Old 05-19-20, 01:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bag2237
Its hard to know exactly what they are selling at vs listing. That information isnt available. I would assume in todays market / climate there should be flexibility but just hard to say. All i have to go on is list prices...not actual sold prices....
Thats the unfortunate reality of the used car market, its what the market bares. Hence your easiest idea of if the price being fair first, is to check the competition, if everyones uniform on pricing then its likely the dealer is pricing at least fair. From there you can start negotiating to get to the absolute final deal. Dealers have reduced prices but thats not a uniform rule.
Old 05-19-20, 02:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CFAI
Doesn't CPO add two years to the existing warranty - plus bump the mileage coverage to unlimited during those 2 years? I guess you could find the price difference between CPO and non, and then estimate if it was worth it to you I guess.
the cpo certification costs are usually estimated at $2500 on top of whatever refurbishment costs were to bring it upto spec. Now in terms of the delta between a cpo and non cpo varies alot more sometimes since CPO=Factory new in the marketing material
Old 05-19-20, 02:05 PM
CFAI
Advanced

I guess it depends on one's risk adversity - my past three cars have been Lexus CPO in their last year of eligibility, and the two (used to be three) years warranty helps mitigate any risk that I got a clunker for a 6ish year old car/suv.
The following users liked this post:
Cuervofrog (10-01-20)
Old 05-19-20, 02:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CFAI
I guess it depends on one's risk adversity - my past three cars have been Lexus CPO in their last year of eligibility, and the two (used to be three) years warranty helps mitigate any risk that I got a clunker for a 6ish year old car/suv.
For sure. To add on, if you are a buyer like CFAI, know what you want, know what you are getting into with a CPO as a extended warranty product only, and know how much risk is worth to you.

Too many times folks feel like the CPO moniker is a sign that the vehicle went back to Tahara Japan, was rebuilt from the ground up, and then brought to the lot to be sold to you,
The following 2 users liked this post by coolsaber:
Cuervofrog (10-01-20), WRD4chano (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 02:20 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by coolsaber
For sure. To add on, if you are a buyer like CFAI, know what you want, know what you are getting into with a CPO as a extended warranty product only, and know how much risk is worth to you.

Too many times folks feel like the CPO moniker is a sign that the vehicle went back to Tahara Japan, was rebuilt from the ground up, and then brought to the lot to be sold to you,
A trip to several (not all) of the dealers in the NYC/NJ area will quickly disabuse anyone of that notion
Old 05-19-20, 07:39 PM
bag2237
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12vrc
So we ending up buying the 19 premium. I’ll pick it up Friday. Are there any dealer settings I should have done or anything you can think of that you wished was done before leaving the dealership?
I am looking for a 17 but curious what you paid if you doing mind me asking? Did you get them off their list price by a certain amount? Lexus dealer?
Old 05-19-20, 09:19 PM
supra725
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

having the CPO, it comes with the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. + 2 years of service.

I found a few sports package but not cpo an that pricing was similar to the cpo pricing.

I found a 17 cpo gx460 but that dealership screwed me over on it.. it was a sport package + low mileage.

Old 05-20-20, 12:48 AM
12vrc
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

We bought cpo from a Lexus dealer. $47559. They wouldn’t come down at all so we walked. They ending up giving us a really good trade in price on our car Later that day, so to me that off set the asking price. This dealer usually doesn’t come down on price. Friends and family have purchase from them and the service is outstanding. That alone is worth something to me. I believe I got a fare price.
WRD4chano (05-20-20)
Old 05-21-20, 09:51 PM
cuotfs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supra725
having the CPO, it comes with the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. + 2 years of service.

I found a few sports package but not cpo an that pricing was similar to the cpo pricing.

I found a 17 cpo gx460 but that dealership screwed me over on it.. it was a sport package + low mileage.
I'll sell you my 2016 bought a couple months ago and comes with 5 yrs warranty CPO.
$31000
Old 05-22-20, 08:17 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuotfs
I'll sell you my 2016 bought a couple months ago and comes with 5 yrs warranty CPO.
$31000
Could be a fine deal, but, assuming this is a Lexus backed warranty, I believe that the 2 year CPO warranty is not transferable. The other 3 years (out of the 5 year) must be an extended VSA, which are transferable one time.
coolsaber (05-22-20)
Old 07-02-20, 10:15 AM
GTH57
Driver School Candidate

Default What year GX to buy?

New member, first time posting. My wife & I are going to buy a GX, probably (16, 17 or 18) in the next 1 to 2 years. With the pandemic, she is dragging her feet more than I but it’s going to happen. Currently own a cashmere 2013 RX that we really like (wife’s car). We live in Cincinnati and I’m hoping to buy a certified used one from one of the Lexus dealerships between here, Columbus and Louisville. Basically the GX we are looking for has to have blind spot, preferably, blue, cashmere or burgundy exterior, ecru or sepia interior w/ a factory tow hitch. I will be retiring in the spring of 2022 and we plan on spending a lot of time camping in the western US pulling our T@B camper with the GX. I was hoping to hear suggestions on model years to consider. Advantages of one model year over another, options that I should make sure are included etc. I have decided that we would want the premium package for sure and probably would not want the luxury model w/ air suspension (concerned about longevity) but unsure. Additionally, I am planning on adding an auxiliary transmission radiator and beefed up skid plates. Any advice and feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-02-20, 12:42 PM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

This thread details the various model year changes; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-changes.html

This thread covers the installation of the OEM transmission cooler: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html

This thread discusses skid plates and sliders: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-sliders.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Mojlnir:
Craigyyy (07-07-20), Cuervofrog (10-01-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:01 PM
GTH57
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mojlnir
This thread details the various model year changes; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-changes.html

This thread covers the installation of the OEM transmission cooler: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html

This thread discusses skid plates and sliders: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...s-sliders.html
Thanks much! This gives me a great place to start researching!
Cuervofrog (10-01-20)

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party