Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 06:42 PM
Kandabear
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 470 vs 460

I have both a 470 and a 460.
honestly, I like the 470 better and if I had the choice between a newer 460 with a lot of miles and and older but well cared for 470, I'd choose the latter.

My 460 has 100k now and I have had to do a few things to it that I did not expect out of a 100k Lexus. Just had the valley plate / heat transfer plate resealed. And I have a minor leak oil leak at the timing cover plate that I am watching closely. That is a MAJOR job to reseal! Both of those things are non-existent on the 470.

There are a lot of threads on "460 vs 470" if you search a bit.
291k on a 2010 gx seems like a lot. There are a lot of 470s I see on the market now so personally I'd look for a nice one and travel to get it if needed.

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
jaceu (11-21-20)
Old 11-21-20, 04:29 AM
jaceu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. I agree that I like the 470 better but it's just been very difficult to find one locally within 100 miles radius that's not a piece of junk. I'll keep at it and will post back my purchase.
Old 11-21-20, 06:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

On the 470s make sure you have documented proof that that the timing belt has been changed. I'd also look at thorough maintenance records. I've seen an uptick on 470 transmission failures (potentially because "lifetime" fluid was never changed). Exhaust manifolds are another potential weak spot as well as the rear end if you intend to off-road. The 8.2 in the 460 seems to hold up better to off-road abuse than the 8.0 used in the 470. You may also want to look at a SAIP bypass on a 470 as that system is buried under the intake manifold of a 470 versus out in the open on the 460.
jaceu (11-21-20)
Old 11-21-20, 06:47 AM
jaceu
Driver School Candidate

no off-roading for me except for occasional beach driving in OBX. Thanks for the heads up on what to look for.
Old 11-21-20, 06:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

You may want to know if previous owner did much though. It may not be readily apparent on a cleaned up vehicle. Some have reported it going out on them even on flat ground. Again.. not saying common or all of them but things to consider.

Originally Posted by jaceu
no off-roading for me except for occasional beach driving in OBX. Thanks for the heads up on what to look for.
jaceu (11-21-20)
Old 11-21-20, 08:17 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

If it’s a Sealed transmission you can count on replacing it. Price out a new front differential too. If they won’t show you the maintenance and if those two items haven’t had regular fluid replacements run On any high mileage GX
jaceu (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 03:25 AM
jaceu
Driver School Candidate

ok, thank you.
Old 11-22-20, 07:16 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Way too many miles. You'd be foolish to buy that rig... sure, you might get 50,000 relatively trouble free miles out of it or it could grenade itself after 100 miles. Even with meticulous service records from DAY ONE, I would avoid a rig with that many miles. So many things are going to be worn out...

There is nothing special about a GX460. These are mass produced rigs that are readily available all over the country. Set your criteria, start searching, and be ready to jump when the right one comes along. I promise, you won't have to wait long for that to happen...
jaceu (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 09:26 AM
jaceu
Driver School Candidate

Back to narrowed search of a well maintained 470. One owner with full records. If I can’t find one then I’ll hold off. Thanks.
Old 11-22-20, 02:29 PM
angrygx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

most will say that these Gx will last trouble free for 200-300k trouble free with proper maintenance.

this ones already at 300k

.... basically when you buy a gx with over 200k your looking for trouble unless your buying them for nothing.. GL
jaceu (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 04:37 AM
jaceu
Driver School Candidate

understood, thank you.
Old 11-25-20, 11:31 AM
MiamiGX
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by angrygx
most will say that these Gx will last trouble free for 200-300k trouble free with proper maintenance.

this ones already at 300k

.... basically when you buy a gx with over 200k your looking for trouble unless your buying them for nothing.. GL

I may be late to the party. But let me chime in from experience. I recently purchased mine with around 170k. It has not gone well. The transmission was gone from day one and had to have it rebuilt. Cost around $3500 from day one. So not off to a good start.

Look at my post history, I wrote about it and shared my experience. I also made a post about maintenance for the long run. It has a lot of good info on what you should do to your GX once you get it if you have a high mileage unit. I am working my way down the list doing those things to mine as well.

My advice (which i ignored myself and regretted) for anyone buying used. Is to buy from Carmax.
I worked at a dealer some time ago selling used cars. From what I know, CarMax has one of the most stringent standards for the cars on their lot. That's not to say there are exceptions, but generally speaking they only keep and sell the best of whatever they get traded in. Everything else gets auctioned to other dealers. I was one of those "other" dealers and I would attend their auctions.

The main reason to buy from Carmax though is to get the car with the extended warranty they sale. If you get that, you are golden. I've gone this route before with no issues and I have sent several other people this route who were all happy. The one time I strayed it's cost me. I know other dealers sell extended warranties too. But you want one you know will be around in a few years and you know approves repairs instead of finding any reason to say its not covered. So do your research if you go elsewhere.

Piney1 (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 03:41 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiGX
The main reason to buy from Carmax though is to get the car with the extended warranty they sale. If you get that, you are golden. I've gone this route before with no issues and I have sent several other people this route who were all happy. The one time I strayed it's cost me. I know other dealers sell extended warranties too. But you want one you know will be around in a few years and you know approves repairs instead of finding any reason to say its not covered. So do your research if you go elsewhere.
Truth in that statement. While the aftermarket warranties are often junk, InterContinental Warranty sold via credit unions is awesome. The other one is CarMax. I had my mom buy a car via them just to get their warranty. My neighbor was looking and looking for a Range Rover HSE to replace his BMW. I told him to make sure he got a good, extended warranty. After he did a lot of research, he bought an Escalade (needs to tow).

My second GX, the 2013, I got with 120k on the clock. I would normally never buy a car with miles that high except this was a one-owner, garage kept beauty. All service records and dealer receipts were included with the sale. It drives as good as my wife’s with under 40 on it.

The key to the Lexus vs. a Toyota is the J vin number. The level of precision is amazing.
Old 11-28-20, 03:47 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

If anyone is really in love with the GX470, this one really appears to be a gem. 20k is probably a tad high but the condition is very good and miles are really low.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...0/2433989.html
Old 11-28-20, 02:22 PM
kmwalsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lease Buy Out Questions - Total Newbie

Hey everyone! I am hoping to get some guidance on the best way to purchase my GX after my lease expires. Or if it is best to give it back?! This is my first lease and I have no idea how to approach this type of transaction.

I have a 2017 GX 460 (Premium) with 48,000 miles and my lease expires 1/4/21.

1) I am 6,000 miles over my contracted miles.
2) My residual is $32,000
3) My car tabs for Washington State are due 12/15, but my lease is up 1/4/21.
4) About 8,500 miles ago I bought new tires before moving from another state.

I feel like the best course of action is to buy the vehicle. The miles I put on it are basically highway miles. Since living in Seattle, Washington, I have only driven 8,500 miles in 18 months. I am a single mom, my daughter and I moved to WA to start a new life after my son passed away in a car accident. I honestly don't know much at all about buying cars. This is my third Lexus, but my first lease. I had two GS's, which I did love. I have looked around and it doesn't appear as if I can purchase a vehicle around the same price with the same features/reliability and overall, I am pretty happy with the vehicle. Is this car too big for my daughter and me? Sure, it is quite large for just the two of us but it is safe, drives well in the snow (we sometimes get here) and it seems it will last for a long time.
  • (Washington state forum users) Do I need to purchase the vehicle before my car tabs expire? My tabs are $550, I certainly do not want to make a mistake here and pay these twice.
  • What is the best approach to purchasing the vehicle?
  • Why do various Lexus dealers want me to bring the car in?
  • My bank offered 3.5% interest rate for a used car. I have never dealt with a credit union, should I?
  • Do I keep it? Any issues anyone has with the 2017? Mine makes some weird noise around the gas cap or third row seat somewhere, I brought it in and they say it is normal. It has had zero other issues. I've always used premium gas, taken it in for every service appointment as I have always assumed I was keeping it.
  • If I purchase the car, do I owe for miles no matter what?

I did look for another Lexus CPO car with AWD or even new car with AWD for around the same price but couldn't find one that I felt was a similar trade off for what I already have as far as reliability and honestly, safety/peace of mind. I traded my GS for the GX to feel safer, sit up higher and give myself peace of mind. (which is how I got into a lease, but we do what we have to do)

Any insights and help would really be appreciated. My GX is in perfect condition, no dings, no accidents, no claims, etc.

Last edited by kmwalsh; 11-28-20 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party