GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20 | 02:58 PM
Desecate
Driver School Candidate

100% when you go to lexus drivers, when you go to vehicle specifications it will flat out say Mark levinson XX speaker sound system.
Navigation with no mention of mark levinson means just that. I have heard both non and ML of this car specifically, i know the regular sound system would drive me nuts and id always regret it.

also in the car it says mark levinson somewhere on the dash,
in the 2010-2013 the location is hidden by that vertical folding gray panel on the dash, that you click down to reveal additional CD controls and stuff, itll say mark levinson right in the bottom middle there. If the panel is clicked up it hides that.
Old 11-29-20 | 02:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 11-29-20 | 04:31 PM
HDrdglid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Desecate
100% when you go to lexus drivers, when you go to vehicle specifications it will flat out say Mark levinson XX speaker sound system.
Navigation with no mention of mark levinson means just that. I have heard both non and ML of this car specifically, i know the regular sound system would drive me nuts and id always regret it.

also in the car it says mark levinson somewhere on the dash,
in the 2010-2013 the location is hidden by that vertical folding gray panel on the dash, that you click down to reveal additional CD controls and stuff, itll say mark levinson right in the bottom middle there. If the panel is clicked up it hides that.
Sure I wish it had the ML but it is not a deal breaker for me. I am an old guy so don't need great sound. Maybe I will get lucky and it has it!
Old 11-29-20 | 04:32 PM
HDrdglid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad
Thanks I will check it out.
Old 11-30-20 | 09:01 AM
angrygx
Driver

that looks like a pretty good deal.

been seeing many posts with well over 150k miles at around 20k$.

Old 11-30-20 | 09:09 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

I think it’s a good deal too especially with that clean services history.

Originally Posted by angrygx

Old 11-30-20 | 09:26 AM
HDrdglid
Driver School Candidate

I think so too! I have been looking around a lot and have not found anything near this good on price, mileage and condition. I did miss out on a 2010 with 73K miles I think it was even better condition than this one but it was $22,000 so basically the same price as this one but 2 years older.
Old 11-30-20 | 12:08 PM
angrygx
Driver

Originally Posted by HDrdglid
I think so too! I have been looking around a lot and have not found anything near this good on price, mileage and condition. I did miss out on a 2010 with 73K miles I think it was even better condition than this one but it was $22,000 so basically the same price as this one but 2 years older.
yea man take a shot at it..
and if the guy owns a semi shop maybe u can make a deposit and take the rotors off resurface n put em back in and see if that takes care of the brakes.
at your cost just for pc of mind
Old 12-02-20 | 10:40 AM
MoonieGX
Driver School Candidate

Wink 8 great GXs and 3 superb RXs

Originally Posted by kmwalsh
Hey everyone! I am hoping to get some guidance on the best way to purchase my GX after my lease expires. Or if it is best to give it back?! This is my first lease and I have no idea how to approach this type of transaction.
My responses in bold in answer to your questions:
I have a 2017 GX 460 (Premium) with 48,000 miles and my lease expires 1/4/21.

1) I am 6,000 miles over my contracted miles. Pay for the overage in miles
2) My residual is $32,000 Buy the GX
3) My car tabs for Washington State are due 12/15, but my lease is up 1/4/21. Contact DMV and seek their counsel. I used to live in Washington, but I am not an expert on the motor vehicle rules, regs and costs.
4) About 8,500 miles ago I bought new tires before moving from another state. New tires are good reason to keep this vehicle. I just purchased my 6th GX and I have owned several RXs also. Of all the Lexus vehicles I have owned, the GXs are by far the best I've owned. No issues as long as they are serviced as directed by Lexus. Just a tip, I have used Toyota dealerships for some basic upkeep costs at a lower cost than my local Lexus dealer. The most compelling features of the GX are safety, quality and retained value. My experience with GXs is that they are super with regards to retained value. Rumors of Lexus discontinuing the GX have helped keep the value of the GX. All the dealers I know go out of their way to get my GX. Why? They can turn a quick and larger than normal margin on GXs. Also, I always had the philosophy that the most important people in my life ride in this vehicle. Consequently, I want the safest vehicle possible to protect them. The GX is one of the few vehicles that still feature a full sub frame which helps improve the rigidity and safety of the GX. The fact that you ride higher than normal cars helps from a safety point of view also.

I feel like the best course of action is to buy the vehicle. The miles I put on it are basically highway miles. Since living in Seattle, Washington, I have only driven 8,500 miles in 18 months. I am a single mom, my daughter and I moved to WA to start a new life after my son passed away in a car accident. I honestly don't know much at all about buying cars. This is my third Lexus, but my first lease. I had two GS's, which I did love. I have looked around and it doesn't appear as if I can purchase a vehicle around the same price with the same features/reliability and overall, I am pretty happy with the vehicle. Is this car too big for my daughter and me? Sure, it is quite large for just the two of us but it is safe, drives well in the snow (we sometimes get here) and it seems it will last for a long time. I live in OHIO and we get more snow and ice than I ever got in Washington State. The 4 wheel drive makes the GX the perfect vehicle for this weather. I would find a way to buy your GX. If you have to take out a loan, that is better than a new lease. You will not have to worry about mileage.
  • (Washington state forum users) Do I need to purchase the vehicle before my car tabs expire? My tabs are $550, I certainly do not want to make a mistake here and pay these twice.
  • What is the best approach to purchasing the vehicle? Buy the vehicle if you can afford it with or without a loan.
  • Why do various Lexus dealers want me to bring the car in? The profit % on most used Lexus vehicles is greater than the margin on new vehicles!
  • My bank offered 3.5% interest rate for a used car. I have never dealt with a credit union, should I? Credit unions are better than local banks in most cases for auto loans. Most credit unions have lower fees on loans, offer better rates and generally have lower overhead.
  • Do I keep it? Any issues anyone has with the 2017? Mine makes some weird noise around the gas cap or third row seat somewhere, I brought it in and they say it is normal. It has had zero other issues. I've always used premium gas, taken it in for every service appointment as I have always assumed I was keeping it. Yes, I would keep the vehicle, especially if you have been the person taking care of the vehicle. Note: there was a recall on fuel pump. Check with your dealer and get this resolved under warranty prior to purchasing the GX.
  • If I purchase the car, do I owe for miles no matter what? Yes, my guess is that your lease deal requires you to pay for the miles over your lease. That is normal. If you buy the vehicle, you do away with those issues.

I did look for another Lexus CPO car with AWD or even new car with AWD for around the same price but couldn't find one that I felt was a similar trade off for what I already have as far as reliability and honestly, safety/peace of mind. I traded my GS for the GX to feel safer, sit up higher and give myself peace of mind. (which is how I got into a lease, but we do what we have to do)

Any insights and help would really be appreciated. My GX is in perfect condition, no dings, no accidents, no claims, etc.
Best wishes for a successful purchase of the GX. I think you will be happy that you did.
The following users liked this post:
kmwalsh (12-04-20)
Old 12-02-20 | 10:48 AM
MoonieGX
Driver School Candidate

I sent my response to your questions via my posting. See MoonieGX
The following users liked this post:
kmwalsh (12-04-20)
Old 12-03-20 | 08:43 PM
HDrdglid
Driver School Candidate

Done deal, I got it today. Put 200 miles or so on it and loving it!
The following 6 users liked this post by HDrdglid:
Acrad (12-03-20), bbqsoup (12-03-20), CFAI (12-03-20), hadokenuh (12-04-20), nuclearn8 (12-04-20), Piney1 (12-04-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-20 | 10:28 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Congrats. Now just enjoying it and let the mods begin. 😁
Old 12-04-20 | 08:15 AM
HDrdglid
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Congrats. Now just enjoying it and let the mods begin. 😁
I know, I was ready to start the mods but now I am thinking this is too nice to mess with! I think I may drive it a year or so and see what I want to do but I have the luxury of having my 2011 FJ for CO or Moab trips.
Old 12-04-20 | 10:33 AM
angrygx
Driver

Originally Posted by HDrdglid
I know, I was ready to start the mods but now I am thinking this is too nice to mess with! I think I may drive it a year or so and see what I want to do but I have the luxury of having my 2011 FJ for CO or Moab trips.
as I said earlier very good buy!!!
I sure your ecstatic!!! good luck and safe drive man!
Old 12-04-20 | 10:52 AM
HDrdglid
Driver School Candidate

as I said earlier very good buy!!!
I sure your ecstatic!!! good luck and safe drive man!
Yes I am very happy!
Thanks for the kind words..

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party