GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 02:37 PM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 GX Purchase

Guys, I am finally ready to try to get back into a Full Size SUV lol. We currently drive a 2015 Murano Platinum AWD we enjoy but it has not been reliable. That is our family car i drive a 06 LS430 and will continue to do so until it dies. Im a huge Lexus fan driven and owned IS GS ES LS but my first time a GX. My dad used to have a 2010 GX470 pearl white and that thing was a beauty. This one does not have air ride and Im kind of glad since the LS air ride is the cars only issue and would assume the same with the GX and regular wear. How can I tell what options my possible new car to me has? I will go see it in person Saturday and the wait is killing me lol.
Old 04-26-21, 03:06 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Type in Vin here https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs
Old 04-26-21, 04:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by HOLGER21
Guys, I am finally ready to try to get back into a Full Size SUV lol. We currently drive a 2015 Murano Platinum AWD we enjoy but it has not been reliable. That is our family car i drive a 06 LS430 and will continue to do so until it dies. Im a huge Lexus fan driven and owned IS GS ES LS but my first time a GX. My dad used to have a 2010 GX470 pearl white and that thing was a beauty. This one does not have air ride and Im kind of glad since the LS air ride is the cars only issue and would assume the same with the GX and regular wear. How can I tell what options my possible new car to me has? I will go see it in person Saturday and the wait is killing me lol.
2010 was GX460 so you might be talking about an older GX470 that the end date was 2009.
Old 05-03-21, 04:05 AM
Cudoho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to GX

Hello folks, it would be my first GX and I would like to learn much more about this SUV. My plan it to get one between 2014 to 2015 and I will use it mostly on my fishing trips on sandy beaches (from NJ to OBX).
I also plan to raise it up 2 inches and wider tires.
How many mileage should i be looking for ?
2014 better than 2015 or vice versa?
should I buy from Lexus dealer with certification or from small dealers?
thank you very much

Old 05-03-21, 07:37 AM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Cudoho
Hello folks, it would be my first GX and I would like to learn much more about this SUV. My plan it to get one between 2014 to 2015 and I will use it mostly on my fishing trips on sandy beaches (from NJ to OBX).
I also plan to raise it up 2 inches and wider tires.
How many mileage should i be looking for ?
2014 better than 2015 or vice versa?
should I buy from Lexus dealer with certification or from small dealers?
thank you very much
Welcome to the forum! The GX is a fantastic SUV, and honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either of those model years. I myself have a 2014, that I bought brand new with 6 miles on it. It is now at 142,000 miles and has been fantastic throughout. I see no issues with going with 2014 (or 2015, take whatever is a better deal). Buying from a dealer is not necessarily a guarantee that you are getting a better vehicle, I would be more diligent in reviewing the vehicle you are interested in purchasing's service history. If a car at a smaller dealer has a better maintenance history you are better off going with that one. I would check for rust as well since you are in Virginia and 6-7-year-old cars that were winter driven are likely to be in poor underbody condition unless they had some kind of rust protection. Best of luck in your search! This forum is a wonderful tool for learning about these cars, feel free to browse, or ask any other questions you may have!
The following users liked this post:
virtualpj (05-03-21)
Old 05-24-21, 04:43 PM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking at a 2014 with 71K miles

Hey, I just wanted to get anyone's two cents on purchasing a 2014 with 71K miles. Not sure of the exact history on maintenance of this vehicle but it looks great and pretty rust-free on the bottom. Thoughts on reliability. I have had many Lexus models before this but not a GX. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 05-25-21, 06:35 AM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Go for it.
Old 05-26-21, 05:10 AM
chrisca70
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boisvert00
Hey, I just wanted to get anyone's two cents on purchasing a 2014 with 71K miles. Not sure of the exact history on maintenance of this vehicle but it looks great and pretty rust-free on the bottom. Thoughts on reliability. I have had many Lexus models before this but not a GX. Thanks ahead of time!
At that mileage the GX is just breaking in. In any case I would go through this list:
  • Carfax with no collision history
  • The first 50K miles were covered under Lexus, including oil changes, so really the car has been out of warranty for 20k miles (2 oil changes)
  • Register on lexusdrivers.com and you can see any maintenance history done by Lexus or Toyota.
  • Don't be afraid of opening the hood and with a good flashlight inspect everything, if you see something weird, like an oil leak or a coolant leak (red-pink crust), then I would have it inspected by a mechanic; it is unlikely that you will find anything wrong but that is what I would do.
Old 05-26-21, 05:13 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Also, is this from a Lexus dealer that can provide service history and an extended warranty if needed? Or private seller, in which case I would definitely have a mechanic check it out.
Old 05-26-21, 05:35 AM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrisca70
At that mileage the GX is just breaking in. In any case I would go through this list:
  • Carfax with no collision history
  • The first 50K miles were covered under Lexus, including oil changes, so really the car has been out of warranty for 20k miles (2 oil changes)
  • Register on lexusdrivers.com and you can see any maintenance history done by Lexus or Toyota.
  • Don't be afraid of opening the hood and with a good flashlight inspect everything, if you see something weird, like an oil leak or a coolant leak (red-pink crust), then I would have it inspected by a mechanic; it is unlikely that you will find anything wrong but that is what I would do.
Thank you so much! That is really great advice, I appreciate it. I can't find any hard data from Consumer Reports and I was just hesitant. As of last night I got lured into a really great deal for a 2018 Premium with 24,500 miles that lived in FL for it's last three years on it for $38,800 ( I am in NH) which is just oh so tempting. We shall see! Having owned 4 RX's and 3 ES's I don't know why I am so hesitant but my mechanic has a vendetta against timing chains but he knows a lot more than I do, so I try to listen more then speak.
Old 05-26-21, 05:36 AM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

JER - This one was from a smaller dealer who I doubt will let me take it to have my mechanic check it out. The only thing my mechanic goes on and on about is the rust on these things which is a valid complaint.
Old 05-26-21, 04:58 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

read this and all the best if you end up getting it!
boisvert00 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 06:13 PM
boisvert00
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I put the first one on hold because I found this gem for this price!! - 2018 GX Premium with 24,580 miles on it for $38,800 which lived in FL. I live in NH and I couldn't be happier. From what they sent me, the bottom looks pretty good to me. Anyone see any glaring issues let me know. I am trying to go see it on Saturday.

Old 05-26-21, 08:04 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The only problem I see is , it's white , like 90% of them
boisvert00 (05-27-21)
Old 06-05-21, 06:18 PM
Miv172
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GX Questions

Hey y’all! So I’m hoping to join the Lexus GX club and it’s been tough to find them when they come up. I really like the black interior models and only a few have come up in my price range. But I got lucky! One finally came and I test drove it and loved it. The only thing is it’s at 186k miles. Well above my limit I was thinking of 120k. There seem to be no issues with the vehicle and it has a good car fax. Was a corporate vehicle for about 4 years then had a owner doing service every 10k miles. A co worker of mine has said this thing is just getting started and if I continue it could go to 400k miles. Any thoughts on if I should wait for a lower mileage to come through? Is 186k not much to worry about? Any specific things to look for in the car fax?

Quick Reply: Used Purchase/Shopping Questions & Discussions - CPO / Dealers / Private Party